Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #2296
Riding4fun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
particularly curious if anyone had tried the magic mod for the throttle body and the shock travel reduction. /[/URL]
Magic Mod Reviews- http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/977...y-u-can-spend/
Riding4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #2297
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolodesiles View Post
you mean the upper slider on the swing arm? because the chain is "lower" due to smaller sprocket

I mean the slider that "wraps the swing arm". with the chain being lower it rides more on the upper surface and the lower surfance a well. Something else also recently seen on a friends bike is if your chain is too loose it rides up on the lower side of the front gear and saws right threw the guide.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #2298
Hukamosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a 350 or 500EXC. While doing my mountains of homework before dropping this much coin, I ran across these guys and was particularly curious if anyone had tried the magic mod for the throttle body and the shock travel reduction. http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...2-ktm-350-exc/

I just had my exc remapped and it fixed all the lean issues I had. I believe you load the euro map first then xcw map. Works great.
Hukamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #2299
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
My 530 was getting about 45mpg at best. My 5 hunny is getting 58 to 63 depending on ride...(63 being best so far measured at pump by filling back up to full)...

I have longer legs than anyone I ride with so I just wait for them to yell NO MAS
Now that's odd,I ride with a friend on a 2012 EXC500,he can get around 50mpg if were not riding too hard,about the same as my 530 does,although his bike boils over on every tight trail we ride on,hes had it remapped a couple times,it runs great!
Mine has yet to boil water out of the radiator riding the same trails. I can go 200 miles on the 4.2 gallon Safari tank on it,that's really about far enough on any sort of gnarly trails/jeep roads.

Somewhere around 14 to 1 air/fuel mix is where a bike runs best at,doesnt matter if its FI or carbed. Yet yours gets 63 mpg at times,that's flat amazing. There are more then a few dirtbikes with FI out there,I dont remember any saying they get 13 or 14 mpg better with FI,my little truck surely doesnt get much better mileage with FI.

Sounds like you got a good one!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #2300
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
My 530 was getting about 45mpg at best. My 5 hunny is getting 58 to 63 depending on ride...(63 being best so far measured at pump by filling back up to full)...

I have longer legs than anyone I ride with so I just wait for them to yell NO MAS
Hah! I just noticed you were from Fort Walton Beach,I was out there for a month one time just hanging out with a girlfriend,checking out the whole area. I really enjoyed the body surfing and the beaches.

I asked a couple shop guys where the local trailriding is,they said maybe Georgia? You must have found some good trailriding around there?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #2301
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedesertdalton View Post
We keep it cool, fit's now with the 20ltr. acerbis tank, extra fan and Twin Air oil cooler..

That's interesting you have the DTricks fan on the front of the radiator,they told me it went on the back.
Wouldnt it kinda block air flow that way? But then,what the hell do I know?

How do I get one of those oil coolers? Me Likee!

Foot dragger screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 01:49 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #2302
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Mapping and fuel mileage

I have my 500 exc remapped with the euro EXC map (which was done in west virgina before i shipped it to cali)and it has been great no issues at all.Removed smog crap put on exhaust turned up the idle and have had no issues, and the map switch does work(stock, mild, wild).I am going to be sweep riding on sep 22-23 for my cousin who puts on the yosemite dual sport rides twice a year and "Best Dual Sport Bikes" is going to be there, cant wait to meet them and bend there ear a little. Just went over to Carson City NV over Carson Pass(CA to NV) this weekend with my sumo set up and got 170 miles out of my clockwork 3.2 gl tank.I was averaging 70-75 mph. Everyones preference in final gearing, riding styles and terrain is also going to be a factor in the fuel mileage discussion.Overall I am very happy with the bike its the best I have ever owned. I am also very happy with the products I bought for my bike thanks to the info I gained here and vendors that are active on this site, Big thanks to HDB and Globetrottin for making well built and thought out products.

http://stifdickerson2006.smugmug.com...IMAG0591-S.jpg

Stifdickerson2006 screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 04:36 PM Reason: picture did not show up
Stifdickerson2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #2303
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
I have my 500 exc remapped with the euro EXC map (which was done in west virgina before i shipped it to cali)and it has been great no issues at all.Removed smog crap put on exhaust turned up the idle and have had no issues, and the map switch does work(stock, mild, wild).I am going to be sweep riding on sep 22-23 for my cousin who puts on the yosemite dual sport rides twice a year and "Best Dual Sport Bikes" is going to be there, cant wait to meet them and bend there ear a little. Just went over to Carson City NV over Carson Pass(CA to NV) this weekend with my sumo set up and got 170 miles out of my clockwork 3.2 gl tank.I was averaging 70-75 mph. Everyones preference in final gearing, riding styles and terrain is also going to be a factor in the fuel mileage discussion.Overall I am very happy with the bike its the best I have ever owned. I am also very happy with the products I bought for my bike thanks to the info I gained here and vendors that are active on this site, Big thanks to HDB and Globetrottin for making well built and thought out products.

Ive ridden mine on the road a little,down some of the best sportbike roads aroung here in norcal,I can easily see why guys put the super-moto wheels on them,It seemed to start pulling nice at 70 and Im sure it would buzz to 100,really smooth and fun for a dirtbike.

The trails around here tend to be steep and tight,probably affects mileage compared to other areas,sometimes just getting up them involves lotsa work.

I have done some pre riding for www.ironman dualsport.com,out in the Nevada desert we went 800 miles in 4 days,hot each day, on the bikes at 6 in the AM and finish in the heat. I lost 9 lbs that didnt come back.
I rode my DRZe for that,came home and bought the 530,no mas wrestling a heavy bike in the rocks.

Whats the name of your cousin's dualsport business?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #2304
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive ridden mine on the road a little,down some of the best sportbike roads aroung here in norcal,I can easily see why guys put the super-moto wheels on them,It seemed to start pulling nice at 70 and Im sure it would buzz to 100,really smooth and fun for a dirtbike.

The trails around here tend to be steep and tight,probably affects mileage compared to other areas,sometimes just getting up them involves lotsa work.

I have done some pre riding for www.ironman dualsport.com,out in the Nevada desert we went 800 miles in 4 days,hot each day, on the bikes at 6 in the AM and finish in the heat. I lost 9 lbs that didnt come back.
I rode my DRZe for that,came home and bought the 530,no mas wrestling a heavy bike in the rocks.

Whats the name of your cousin's dualsport business?
My cousins dualsport business is http://www.familyoffroadadventures.com/ this is just a side business for my family we do it for fun and if it makes a little money thats fine too.I have always been an offroad rider. started riding when I was 5yrs old, a few years back started getting into riding a little street riding in the summers just cause its so dry and hot where I live. I picked up a ducati monster and loved it, it actually helped me with soe of my offroad riding and vise versa. a couple years ago I got into dual sporting so I could ride more with my family instead of just offroad. so when the 500 came out i sold my Monster, my Atk ds, my klx 650 r ds, ktm 453 and bought the 500 with a sumo set up and dirt set up. takes a half hr to make it a street bike and it is very fun, in the tight twisties it would kick my ducatis ass.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #2305
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
My cousins dualsport business is http://www.familyoffroadadventures.com/ this is just a side business for my family we do it for fun and if it makes a little money thats fine too.I have always been an offroad rider. started riding when I was 5yrs old, a few years back started getting into riding a little street riding in the summers just cause its so dry and hot where I live. I picked up a ducati monster and loved it, it actually helped me with soe of my offroad riding and vise versa. a couple years ago I got into dual sporting so I could ride more with my family instead of just offroad. so when the 500 came out i sold my Monster, my Atk ds, my klx 650 r ds, ktm 453 and bought the 500 with a sumo set up and dirt set up. takes a half hr to make it a street bike and it is very fun, in the tight twisties it would kick my ducatis ass.
My DR650 currently has a set of street wheels on it,fat 19" in the front,fat 17" in the back,really fun over on the coast or the backroads getting to the coast. Next trip over will be to Rio Nido for the ADV gathering and the flattrack races.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #2306
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:

http://stifdickerson2006.smugmug.com...IMAG0591-S.jpg

Didn't someone post on here that you couldn't use the cooling fan with the Clockworks tank???
Anyway, I put down my deposit on a '13 500EXC today
I am already scheming about a Baja Designs Squadron headlight (need to check on the stator output) and sumo wheels. I like the idea of the KTM rear wheel with the cush hub, and the lower price for a complete Warp 9 front wheel assembly. Has anyone seem them in close proximity so see how similar the rims look? In other words, would it be noticeable if you did that mix-n-match setup?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #2307
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Didn't someone post on here that you couldn't use the cooling fan with the Clockworks tank???
I am already scheming about a Baja Designs Squadron headlight (need to check on the stator output) and sumo wheels. I like the idea of the KTM rear wheel with the cush hub, and the lower price for a complete Warp 9 front wheel assembly. Has anyone seem them in close proximity so see how similar the rims look? In other words, would it be noticeable if you did that mix-n-match setup?

The clockwork tank fits fine with the fan, but the thermostat housing is a little tight. I pulled my thermostat off.as far as using a cush hub or not I start out of that conversation as I have no experience with them.if you are going to be hammering the drive system on road I would get one.I looked set the warp9 sets but found a great deal on DNA set up
With EBC break rotors and sprocket that use OEM bearings
for just a little more so I went with them. I'm running 15 frt & 42 rear on the street and really like it.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #2308
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Dont the new KTM's have a cush hub in the clutch? This would negate the need for a cush hub in the wheel? Correct me if Im wrong.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #2309
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Dont the new KTM's have a cush hub in the clutch? This would negate the need for a cush hub in the wheel? Correct me if Im wrong.
Yes they do have a cush system in the clutch. Which for my style of riding is fine but if I was a more aggressive rider and really hammering the drive system I would put one on. The cush or no cush debate is almost as vast s the type of oil argument.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #2310
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Kush Sprocket

No idea if they're any good .....

https://kushsprockets.3dcartstores.c...cket_p_69.html
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote