Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #2326
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
I'll take it for a proper rip this weekend and see how it does in the Florida sand.
My experience has been the MX51s do pretty decent in everything I've thrown at them (sand, mud, hardpack/gravel/dirt). Maybe not as good as another tire for a specific use, but as an all-arounder I love them.

They are great when new, but if you ride them on pavement, or even very tough hardpack with a lot of wheelspin, those center knobs disappear quick. And without a lot of tread in the middle good luck in deep sand. You may as well be trying to pedal a tricycle through a swamp. I've been using the 120/90s and 90/100s, I've heard the 110s and 80s flounder a bit in the loose stuff.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #2327
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
No, not to difficult but the scenery is very nice, with me living 4 hrs away its nice to meet up with them and ride and help out, and the raffle is very cool.I will call him and send him your way asap. it will probably be my Aunt Janet who calls she is the one who handles all the raffle stuff. Hope to see ya there next time. And I will check out the heat shields thats probably the one thing I do not have on my bike, was just gonna wait for the stock one to break but it seems to be holding up well.
Thanks again for setting that up! I'll be sending a product donation to them soon. Have a great trip up there too. :)
Old 09-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #2328
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Nice Turnip back there! I rode one coast to coast and up into Canada in '64. Only one Joe Lucas episode.

Stu

Thanks, Its actually a 78 t140v but they make a retro kit to make it look older, Got that bike in a box from my dear ol pappi, was the first bike I ever rebuilt and what gave me the fever. It looks better cleaned up with the fork gators on it.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #2329
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
Thanks again for setting that up! I'll be sending a product donation to them soon. Have a great trip up there too. :)
No, Thank You, 100% of the raffle goes to Blue Ribbon Coalition, and 100% of the BBQ goes to an organization that helps disabled kids at a special camp outside Yosemite (very cool set up) with handicap accessible trails and swimming areas. Let me know if your ever my way (Atascadero,ca) and we can hook up on some trails. Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #2330
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo View Post
My experience has been the MX51s do pretty decent in everything I've thrown at them (sand, mud, hardpack/gravel/dirt). Maybe not as good as another tire for a specific use, but as an all-arounder I love them.

They are great when new, but if you ride them on pavement, or even very tough hardpack with a lot of wheelspin, those center knobs disappear quick. And without a lot of tread in the middle good luck in deep sand. You may as well be trying to pedal a tricycle through a swamp. I've been using the 120/90s and 90/100s, I've heard the 110s and 80s flounder a bit in the loose stuff.
I agree with you 100%, you should try the Motoz they are a bit heavier but well worth it, I actually prefer the Tractionator Xcircuit frt tire with the Enduro I/T rear, but the Xcircuit frt is not DOT.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #2331
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
I was never a big dunlop fan until I tried the mx 51, I really like that tire, it is pretty predictable. after my last set of mx 51's I tried the Motoz Tires IT Tractionator and am now onto the same tire but DOT and for my riding style you get the same if not better tractability better predictability , last way longer and you can run higher air pressure but still get the feel of lower air pressure with less risk of pinching a tube, very easy to put on due to the natural rubber used and the cost is about the same. Here is a picture of my set with about 100 miles on them 25 of it in very deep river bed sand at high speeds.

SD

What size are u running on on the 500?

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #2332
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm running 130/90/18 rear and 80/100/21 frt.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #2333
DirtToTar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Cry Clockwork Tank

Today I installed the Clockwork 3.1 gallon tank. To do so you have to add new longer fuel lines and splice longer wire on the fuel pump inside the tank. Got it all together and it won't start. Disconnected the fuel line and turned the key on to activate the fuel pump. There was about a 3 foot stream spraying from the line. Turned the key off, put the line back into the quick disconnect and tried again. Nothing. After several attempts the battery started to go dead. Kick starter didn't work either. I also disassembled everything again and double checked line routing comparing to a picture I took prior to doing the extensions.

Six hours messing with a tank and now no riding tomorrow.

Any ideas?
DirtToTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #2334
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=DirtToTar;19552069]Today I installed the Clockwork 3.1 gallon tank. To do so you have to add new longer fuel lines and splice longer wire on the fuel pump inside the tank. Got it all together and it won't start. Disconnected the fuel line and turned the key on to activate the fuel pump. There was about a 3 foot stream spraying from the line. Turned the key off, put the line back into the quick disconnect and tried again. Nothing. After several attempts the battery started to go dead. Kick starter didn't work either. I also disassembled everything again and double checked line routing comparing to a picture I took prior to doing the extensions.

Any ideas?[/QUOT

Sounds like your fuel filter is clogged. I have the clockwork tank and you have to make sure you rinse it out very good no matter what tank you use. Check you're fuel filter.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #2335
DirtToTar
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Stifdickerson2006;19552225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtToTar View Post
Today I installed the Clockwork 3.1 gallon tank. To do so you have to add new longer fuel lines and splice longer wire on the fuel pump inside the tank. Got it all together and it won't start. Disconnected the fuel line and turned the key on to activate the fuel pump. There was about a 3 foot stream spraying from the line. Turned the key off, put the line back into the quick disconnect and tried again. Nothing. After several attempts the battery started to go dead. Kick starter didn't work either. I also disassembled everything again and double checked line routing comparing to a picture I took prior to doing the extensions.

Any ideas?[/QUOT

Sounds like your fuel filter is clogged. I have the clockwork tank and you have to make sure you rinse it out very good no matter what tank you use. Check you're fuel filter.
The one in the tank? I have a Golan after the quick disconnect. Also, how would I check it, just remove it? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #2336
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=DirtToTar;19552275]
Quote:

The one in the tank? I have a Golan after the quick disconnect. Also, how would I check it, just remove it? Thanks.
If your pump is squirting out the fuel line but not getting to the throttle body.there is some kind of restriction in the line when you did the Golan did you remove the stock filter. And I would check your Golan.there is allot of junk in those tanks from the molding process.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #2337
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
[QUOTE=Stifdickerson2006;19552358]
Quote:

If your pump is squirting out the fuel line but not getting to the throttle body.there is some kind of restriction in the line when you did the Golan did you remove the stock filter. And I would check your Golan.there is allot of junk in those tanks from the molding process.
I put the 4.2 gallon Safari tank on my 530,they said to blow it out so I did,so far no problems with plastic flakes blocking things. Its skinny enough it doesnt bother me trail riding.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #2338
DirtToTar
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Stifdickerson2006;19552358]
Quote:

Current filter setup is the in tank, then the Golan between the quick disconnect and throttle body and then the 20um stock filter. I'll check the Golan.

The other concern I have is the three (clockwork provided) longer plastic lines going between the pump and connector pushed on real easy. I put a hose connector on each but if there is a high pressure seal needed I doubt they are sealing well.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #2339
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=DirtToTar;19552464]
Quote:

Current filter setup is the in tank, then the Golan between the quick disconnect and throttle body and then the 20um stock filter. I'll check the Golan.

The other concern I have is the three (clockwork provided) longer plastic lines going between the pump and connector pushed on real easy. I put a hose connector on each but if there is a high pressure seal needed I doubt they are sealing well.
Mine was the same way and no issues at all at 700 miles. Its gonna be you're fuel filter most likely.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #2340
Lolodesiles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
any electrical cable maybe wedged or disconnected

the bike was running before changing the tank??
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote