ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #2341
DirtToTar
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Clackamas, Oregon
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolodesiles View Post
any electrical cable maybe wedged or disconnected

the bike was running before changing the tank??
Yes, bike ran fine before the tank change. 1000+ miles with no issues.
I checked spark and it's fine.

This morning I emptied the tank and poured all fuel through a coffee filter. There was debris but not what I'd think enough to clog the large filter in the tank. Here's an image of the coffee filter.

Next I put some fuel back in the tank and removed the Golan filter and reattached the quick disconnect. I then dispensed into a clear container using the fuel pump. Basically had tank on bike and then activated the fuel pump so fuel went through pump, through tank filter, through fuel line and Golan and then into clear container. The flow seemed ok. It filled the container pretty quick. However, as soon as the reserve light came on the flow decreased dramatically. Time to pull the whole thing apart again. Dang, it's a perfect riding day here in Oregon today.
DirtToTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #2342
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtToTar View Post
Yes, bike ran fine before the tank change. 1000+ miles with no issues.
I checked spark and it's fine.

This morning I emptied the tank and poured all fuel through a coffee filter. There was debris but not what I'd think enough to clog the large filter in the tank. Here's an image of the coffee filter.

Next I put some fuel back in the tank and removed the Golan filter and reattached the quick disconnect. I then dispensed into a clear container using the fuel pump. Basically had tank on bike and then activated the fuel pump so fuel went through pump, through tank filter, through fuel line and Golan and then into clear container. The flow seemed ok. It filled the container pretty quick. However, as soon as the reserve light came on the flow decreased dramatically. Time to pull the whole thing apart again. Dang, it's a perfect riding day here in Oregon today.
That seems like a bunch of filters,and the 2013's have another filter?
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #2343
DirtToTar
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Clackamas, Oregon
Oddometer: 20
The clockwork tank issue is fixed... sort of.

I disassembled everything again (4th time) and noticed that the six tube clamps provided were not all the same size. One was the next larger size. Here's an image of the clamp.



So, inside the tank the first line goes from pump, to filter, to connector at tank rear. This larger clamp was at the fitting at the connector at tank rear. When I tightened the six clamps I snugged them up well and this particular clamp felt tight. As it turns out it felt tight because it was bottomed out and could tighten no more. With the clamp bottomed out it wasn't tight enough and fuel was pumping back into the tank never reaching the required pressure. I installed another clamp and it now runs

Now the bad news. The clockwork tank is not like the stock where the fuel pump attaches. Instead of the stock two holes (good design) for the fuel pump there is one large opening (bad design). An aluminum plate attaches to the tank and the pump fastens to the aluminum plate. Between the aluminum plate and tank there is a gasket. After four removals it now leaks (pretty crappy interface and four drilled holes in plastic using machine thread screws). The stock tank is back on the bike and the clockwork will be returned.
DirtToTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #2344
Hueychief
FNG
 
Hueychief's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 75
Pulled the trigger on a new 2013 500EXC. Will be doing the breakin and first oil change shortly and then start desmogging, piping, mapping, skidplating, HDB handguarding, Globetrottin rackin', HDB top clamping, gear changing, and all the other etc's.............to make it a great offroading street legal bike.
This is going to be my Minnesota/Wisconsin/Colorado/Montana trailbike and I couldn't have done it without all the help from ADVRider.
I've read and reread these hundreds of pages while picking the right bike for my needs.
A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE ON HERE WHO MAKE THIS FORUM WHAT IT IS!!!
Blue skies,
Jeff
__________________
Waterboarding Works
KTM 500EXC
Hueychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #2345
Bartron
Bike Punisher
 
Bartron's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: mid-west-northern Canadia
Oddometer: 692
Vortex Update 350 EXC

Installed the Vortex unit for two days of dirtbiking this weekend in the Alberta outback. Still running stock exhaust as replacement not here yet. Stock air filter. Re-geared to 13-52.

Terrain was everything from quad trails (ATV) to very loose and rocky single track and rooty woods. I'm beat to snot but have to say the EFI worked admirably. Given stock exhaust I just ran the modified stock map that's on the unit. The more I rode it the more I realized what a tractor it was. No issues with stalling or flame-outs. Power delivery smooth and predictable. Lugged up some reasonable climbs of loose rock in second without missing a beat.

Given the run around from my dealer about remapping and the locked ECU issues I'm more than happy to have sprung for the vortex. I was told the reason there's a 350 version is that Mr Vortex rides a 350 in Australia - hence the reason for developing the unit.
__________________
Ride on.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #2346
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueychief View Post
Pulled the trigger on a new 2013 500EXC. Will be doing the breakin and first oil change shortly and then start desmogging, piping, mapping, skidplating, HDB handguarding, Globetrottin rackin', HDB top clamping, gear changing, and all the other etc's.............to make it a great offroading street legal bike.
This is going to be my Minnesota/Wisconsin/Colorado/Montana trailbike and I couldn't have done it without all the help from ADVRider.
I've read and reread these hundreds of pages while picking the right bike for my needs.
A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE ON HERE WHO MAKE THIS FORUM WHAT IT IS!!!
Blue skies,
Jeff
You picked a winner...

Every once in awhile a manufacturer will hit upon just the right combination of EVERYTHING to make a truely outstanding bike. This is one of those bikes. Work throught minor issues (they all have em) but when you get them sorted out this bike is outstanding...

We have a saying... friends to let friends ride the new 500hunny..... it will both kill your desire to get back on your old scoot and cost you a bundle of cash.....
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms

Vico1 screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 04:42 PM
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #2347
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
You picked a winner...

Everyone in awhile a manufacturer will hit upon just the right combination of EVERYTHING to make a truely outstanding bike. This is one of those bikes. Work throught minor issues (they all have em) but when you get them sorted out this bike is outstanding...

We have a saying... friends to let friends ride the new 500hunny..... it will both kill your desire to get back on your old scoot and cost you a bundle of cash.....
Yep,my old scoot is up for sale,just a few rides on my 2011 530 and theres no way to go back to riding the old tank. Not cheap but well worth it.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #2348
Lolodesiles
Adventurer
 
Lolodesiles's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtToTar View Post
The clockwork tank issue is fixed... sort of.

I disassembled everything again (4th time) and noticed that the six tube clamps provided were not all the same size. One was the next larger size. Here's an image of the clamp.



So, inside the tank the first line goes from pump, to filter, to connector at tank rear. This larger clamp was at the fitting at the connector at tank rear. When I tightened the six clamps I snugged them up well and this particular clamp felt tight. As it turns out it felt tight because it was bottomed out and could tighten no more. With the clamp bottomed out it wasn't tight enough and fuel was pumping back into the tank never reaching the required pressure. I installed another clamp and it now runs
..... congrats
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #2349
Stu
Buffo Maximus
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern YahooLand
Oddometer: 916
500 Performance

My new 500 is pretty close to sorted out. Still a bit of a flame out on the bottom around 700 RPM or so. However, in tight woods, slamming rock ledges, out of ditches and around trees it handles very much like my '12 300, which is 30 lbs lighter. Unlike the 300 it is an acceleration beast. Crazy performance! Hard to get off of it.

I purchased a cushioned rear hub from Woody's Wheel Works. It is a RAD billet hub so it it both lighter and stronger than the LC4 equivalent. I will use it for extended travel that has a mix of hard road surfaces and off road (southern Utah coming up). Initially I had a problem with the hub which Chris at WWW took care of immediately with just a phone call and exact dimensions describing the issue. A big 1+ to Woody's WW!!

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #2350
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Unlike the 300 it is an acceleration beast.
Seriously?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #2351
oldx
Beastly Adventurer
 
oldx's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Camano Island, WA
Oddometer: 1,094
Cool,sounds as if you are very close to having exactly what you want.Take lots of pic's in Southern Utah and post them up please.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #2352
Stu
Buffo Maximus
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern YahooLand
Oddometer: 916
The Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Seriously?
Yes. The 300, breathed on by me (SX head, VP race gas, lighter than stock, Rekluse EXP 2, etc.) is very fast but is absolutely no match for the 500 coming out of corners. The 500 hooks up and rockets forward with the abandon of a young stripper. I thought the 300 XC-W was the perfect bike. I now have serious doubts. This 500 can hold its own in the woods and is a far, far better bike for every other kind of riding (DS, etc.). KTM has a winner here.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #2353
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Delta Ghetto, GA (aka PTC)
Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Yes. The 300, breathed on by me (SX head, VP race gas, lighter than stock, Rekluse EXP 2, etc.) is very fast but is absolutely no match for the 500 coming out of corners. The 500 hooks up and rockets forward with the abandon of a young stripper. I thought the 300 XC-W was the perfect bike. I now have serious doubts. This 500 can hold its own in the woods and is a far, far better bike for every other kind of riding (DS, etc.). KTM has a winner here.

Stu
Interesting. I rode a 300XC-W and 500XC-W back to back at a KTM demo days event and I was surprised by how two very different bikes actually delivered similar performance, including dialing up torque wheelies at will. But yes, the grin on my face was a little bigger on the 500.
__________________
Don't drive like my brother!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #2354
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
My new 500 is pretty close to sorted out. Still a bit of a flame out on the bottom around 700 RPM or so. However, in tight woods, slamming rock ledges, out of ditches and around trees it handles very much like my '12 300, which is 30 lbs lighter. Unlike the 300 it is an acceleration beast. Crazy performance! Hard to get off of it.

I purchased a cushioned rear hub from Woody's Wheel Works. It is a RAD billet hub so it it both lighter and stronger than the LC4 equivalent. I will use it for extended travel that has a mix of hard road surfaces and off road (southern Utah coming up). Initially I had a problem with the hub which Chris at WWW took care of immediately with just a phone call and exact dimensions describing the issue. A big 1+ to Woody's WW!!

Stu
My 300 will readily wheelie through 5th gear quick enough to make my eyeballs pop out,then it pulls off the bottom like a smooth 4 stroke that doesnt ever stall.
My 530 is faster speed wise for sure but the 300 is Very quick.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #2355
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Yes. The 300, breathed on by me (SX head, VP race gas, lighter than stock, Rekluse EXP 2, etc.) is very fast but is absolutely no match for the 500 coming out of corners. The 500 hooks up and rockets forward with the abandon of a young stripper. I thought the 300 XC-W was the perfect bike. I now have serious doubts. This 500 can hold its own in the woods and is a far, far better bike for every other kind of riding (DS, etc.). KTM has a winner here.

Stu
Jeezus, that sounds violent. Can see how that might be fun and all, but not what I'm looking for in a trailbike. Guess that's the nice thing about being able to tune these bikes to suit different riders.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014