Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #2491
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Map Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
What happened to the supposed lock on the EXC ECU that prevented you from re-mapping? I have read several threads that say you can load the re-map and when you start the bike the ECU reverts to the factory map. Has anyone managed to separate truth from fiction? I have been waiting on the fence on what to do between re-mapping, JD controller and pipe. Looking for a definitive source and answer. Can anyone out there clear the air?
This was discussed several pages ago. KTM dealer advised that uploaded maps would not stick with the previous version of the tool used for loading the maps. The new software version does not have this problem.
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #2492
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Map Numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
AussieClay,

There are three 0701 maps that I know of: EU, AUS & US. They may differ. I installed the US version. Which do you have? I definitely have a bike that responds well now with the JD Tuner set to all 3s. We are having thunderstorms now so I cannot check other settings. I think there is definitely room for improvement with the tuner. More later..

Stu
Stu, I was under the understanding that all the 0701 maps were the same. They have the same overall number. Zuber?
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #2493
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 893
EU, AUS, US Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieClay View Post
Stu, I was under the understanding that all the 0701 maps were the same. They have the same overall number. Zuber?
I do not have any way to open these obscure file format files. They do carry different names with the difference being the US and EU embedded in the names (the two files I have seen). You may be right. Internally they may be the same. If so, why would there be 3 files when you would only need one? My guess is that these different files are tweaked slightly differently for different governmental emissions regulations.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #2494
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
I went the same route as you and the JD tuner did make a difference in the way the bike ran. Fuel mileage stayed the same.50MPG
I just got the Euro unrestricted Map installed and there was a definite performance increase. I set the JD Tuner to the "3" settings and left it in the bike. Maybe JD will come up with some new settings for the new map.
With the new map you get the bonus of the map select settings; mild, standard, and performance. From what I've read it changes the spark advance. -2 degrees, 0 degrees, +2 degrees.
The map settings do make a difference in how the bike performs. In the real rocky or technical sections the mild setting makes the throttle less responsive at low speeds and the bike feels like it has an electric motor in it. It feels like the rear tire is glued to the ground. It doesn't have any less power, you just don't have to be so precise with the throttle. Standard is the all around setting. Wild boosts the top end performance. These are seat of the pants observations, your pants may vary.
I run the stock silencer with the screen baffle installed. Zero noise, the neighbors love me.
I am waiting on the delivery of my '13 500EXC and have been reading the posts about mapping so I know what to do when it gets here. Originally, I was leaning towards the bestdualsportbikes.com Magic Mod. I was aware of the hotter Euro map, but I didn't know it had three maps available. To me, that is better, because there will be trail conditions where the ability to dial down the power would be nice. I am assuming the Euro map cures the flame-out issues? Suggestions for a handlebar mount mapping switch for all 3 maps? TIA
The waiting is killing me.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #2495
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Map Switch

SoilSampleDave
I have never had a flameout since I have owned the bike.
You can get a switch from KTM $$$$ or Sicass Racing $$ or find one from another manufacturer. Its a 3 position headlight switch. Off, Low beam, High beam. Sicass Racing also has plugs for mild and wild settings.

El cheapo way is to make your own. Husaberg DIY on the fly map switch.pdf http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11416 Everything you need and where to get it. You can also use a single pole 3 position on-off-on switch instead of a headlight switch. That's what I did.

Free info: The KTM wiring diagram shows 2 map switches. The first switch selects the map setting and the handlebar switch turns it off and on.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #2496
nzcvlh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Anyone have any knowledge of the Aqualine fuel tank? Site still does not indicate anything and emails I have sent inquiring about status have not been returned.

Will probably go with the Aceribis 5.3 unless there is confirmation soon on the Aqualine 4.x

Thanks
nzcvlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #2497
TexasDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Where can I obtain an awesome fairing such as this???

Looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceforever View Post
My new fairing !!!!!

TexasDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #2498
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDirt View Post
Where can I obtain an awesome fairing such as this???
We are the US importer/dealer for Alberto Dottori rally kits. Send me a PM.

This kit is available for the 13L front or Acerbis 5.3 gallon tanks, and Dottori's 5L rear tank. I have found the 13L + 5L combo to be great for non-Dakar rallies (such as the Sertoes, etc.) It's a nice, tight, well balanced setup. With the FI, the bikes get even better range.

Dave

DaveRMS screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 07:46 PM
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #2499
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNorCal View Post
We are the US importer/dealer for Alberto Dottori rally kits. Send me a PM.

This kit is available for the 13L front or Acerbis 5.3 gallon tanks, and Dottori's 5L rear tank. I have found the 13L + 5L combo to be great for non-Dakar rallies (such as the Sertoes, etc.) It's a nice, tight, well balanced setup. With the FI, the bikes get even better range.

Dave
Does it come in black??
Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #2500
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
SoilSampleDave
I have never had a flameout since I have owned the bike.
You can get a switch from KTM $$$$ or Sicass Racing $$ or find one from another manufacturer. Its a 3 position headlight switch. Off, Low beam, High beam. Sicass Racing also has plugs for mild and wild settings.

El cheapo way is to make your own. Husaberg DIY on the fly map switch.pdf http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11416 Everything you need and where to get it. You can also use a single pole 3 position on-off-on switch instead of a headlight switch. That's what I did.

Free info: The KTM wiring diagram shows 2 map switches. The first switch selects the map setting and the handlebar switch turns it off and on.
Thanks!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #2501
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 379
Serious question: What is the difference between the EXC 500 and XCW 500? On my local bike shops website they both have headlight and taillight and only noticeable difference is mirrors. Also what is the power of these compared to my 08 XCR-W 450? I'm considering trading in my 09 XR650L for a 500 so that my dad can too can have a lighter, faster bike. Also, would the maintenance on the 500 be a little less than on my 450 (less oil changing and filters) even though it's no big deal but my 650 can go plenty more rides before needing a change. I'm a Honda lover but the Orange has bit me since I got my 450 and had 0 problems with it except user errors (didn't tighten rear sprocket bolts tight enough on last ride).
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #2502
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
quick answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
Serious question: What is the difference between the EXC 500 and XCW 500? On my local bike shops website they both have headlight and taillight and only noticeable difference is mirrors. Also what is the power of these compared to my 08 XCR-W 450? I'm considering trading in my 09 XR650L for a 500 so that my dad can too can have a lighter, faster bike. Also, would the maintenance on the 500 be a little less than on my 450 (less oil changing and filters) even though it's no big deal but my 650 can go plenty more rides before needing a change. I'm a Honda lover but the Orange has bit me since I got my 450 and had 0 problems with it except user errors (didn't tighten rear sprocket bolts tight enough on last ride).

EXC - emissions, gearing,street, rims are "supposedly" not as strong
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #2503
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
And a different ECU, stock with an off-road-only map that can be more easily changed.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #2504
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Oops yes I forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
And a different ECU, stock with an off-road-only map that can be more easily changed.
the EXC ECU is locked

XCW is NOT
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #2505
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 893
Rims, ECU

Abyss,

The rims are plenty strong for hare scrambles and the rock ledges I have encountered (lots). I don't think these will be a problem.

The stock ECU cannot be modified with a map switch such as the one from Sicass that I have on my bike. However you can burn a new code in the ECU from the XC-W (the US code ends in 0701) and then you can mess with the ignition mapping. You can also use the JD Jetting Tuner 6X to increase fuel in the mid and upper end. (I am still messing with that.) That is, you can get the XC and XC-W performance out of your EXC. You have to be willing to consider racing only use for it, however,to be legal. Scofflaws can do what they wish.

The stock ECU on the EXC can work quite well with the JD Jetting Tuner as has been reported in this thread. You can stay with that and have very good performance as well.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote