Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #241
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
So is this going to be the 500 exc / xc-w everything thread?

Makes sense to me, start with speculation and on to the real thing, complete history of a bike in forum form... just need to remove the ? from the thread title...

Anyways, I've had my dual sported XC-W for 1 week now; 10 hours and 300 street miles on it. I've yet to take it off road, except for a few cuts through empty lots here and there. Coming off a 640 adv, it is MUCH lighter, MUCH more powerful, and MUCH smoother; I love it a LOT.

So far changes I've made:
-Dual sport kit (don't have many details, dealer did the work)
-Enduro Engineering skid plate
-Enduro Engineering bar risers
-14 tooth front sprocket (up from 13 on the xc-w. I never rode it with the 13, but 14 seems to be slow enough for tight work)
-mounted garmin 276c

Some thoughts regarding this bike and ADV kinds of things:
-It will need a larger tank for sure. On the street I am getting right at 50 mpg in city. I'm not riding it very hard yet, so with more enthusiastic rides that will drop.
-A more comfy seat will be on my list. It is less comfy than the stock 640 adv seat, and the 640 seat left much to be desired. I could sit on the 640 for an all day 10 hour kind of ride and at the end my ass would be KILLING me. I start to get that feeling after 2 or so hours on this guy (not completely to the 10 hour 640 feeling, but my ass is talking to me).
-oil changes are EASY EASY, especially compared to the 640 adv. I know there will be a lot of talk regarding this bike and oil change intervals; if it comes to oil changes in the field mid-trip it doesn't scare me.
-i want to use the big giant loop on this bike, but there aren't good points on this bike to strap it down to. I plan on adding mounts some how. I need to look in to how folks managed this on the 530 and 525 bikes for ideas.

I've only really got cell phone pictures at this point. I'll be off roading tomorrow and will take some real pictures then. For now, the cell phone pictures I took last night while fabing the GPS mount will have to do.

Bike before I got started. I'm using the shop up at work (i wish this were my garage).

Cardboard templates for the mount. I modified a touratech mount to get the GPS lower and less forward.

Tabs go in between 2 of the Enduro Engineering bar risers

Here it is finished. The mounts are .060" stainless. I'll probably paint them, but they look ok bare.

From the cockpit. The picture's angle is a little lower than my head, but the gps is just low enough that I can see the dash still.

From the side. The touratech mount is just high enough that I can get my fingers between the bars and the tab to unclamp the GPS. I hope the unit isn't too far down and back that I have to take my eyes too far off the road. I'm used to my 640 adv with the GPS tucked above the dash in the fairing which keeps the road in my peripheral vision while using it (sorta).

EDIT: I should also note, in the event someone wishes to copy this general method for mounting a GPS; the 2 plates I made are as wide as they can be at the bottom near the bar risers and actually angle in slightly to pick up the Touratech mount. If they are made to be parallel you loose a lot of stiffness and the GPS may be more prone to vibrate left and right.

Anyhow, thought I'd share last nights efforts and a few thoughts. I'll post up pictures and thoughts after tomorrows ride
Arkansas 2010

child screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 03:09 PM
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #242
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Very nice work!
I agree that the rear of the bike doesn't offer many GL mounting points, but I'm sure you'll figure something out.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #243
ktm950se
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtcm View Post
This is right out of the Owners Manual for the XCF-W. It holds 1.6 Quarts or 1.5 Liters. of 10W/50
While many have recently criticized this bike's true "adventure" abilities based upon this seemingly meager oil capacity, its interesting to note that the 690R Enduro only has an oil capacity of 1.70 L (1.8 qt.), and no one seems to be questioning its long-distance capabilities.
And even more interesting, while the 500's manual calls for using 10W/50 oil with 10W/60 as an "Alternative engine oil for harsh operating conditions and increased performance...", the 690's manual recommends 10W/60 as the standard oil, with 10W/50 as an alternative.
I suspect finding either out deep in the nether regions of Africa, Australia, or Russia would be difficult, but even more so for the 10W/60 weight.

KTM may have given us, in the 500, the ultimate adventure motorcycle.
We'll have to wait and see if the 30 hour (vs. 4600 mile for the 690) valve adjustment recommendations are truly required...

ktm950se
Old 10-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #244
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
KTM may have given us, in the 500, the ultimate adventure motorcycle.
We'll have to wait and see if the 30 hour (vs. 4600 mile for the 690) valve adjustment recommendations are truly required...

ktm950se
Have over 130 hours on my 2010 with checks but no adjustments needed yet to anything.

Have not seen the new 500 but if the timing chain adjuster is the same as previous models, that is the first thing I would change to a manual adjust model.

Waiting to see what bigger tanks come out for this bike, could become a replacement for the Berg next year.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #245
ktm950se
Banned

Its supposed to have a "new spring loaded mechanical chain tensioner with a ratchet stop for a simpler and lighter weight design..."

ktm950se
Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #246
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
500 exc

Just picked up one of these...

Plans are to set it up as a light weight dual sport. Currently in work is a composite bash plate. Since I am a vendor (Globetrottin.com) I will set up the info in the vendor thread.

Ride along if you like.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #247
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
huh? Black rims? How did that happen?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #248
ktm950se
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Just picked up one of these...

Plans are to set it up as a light weight dual sport. Currently in work is a composite bash plate. Since I am a vendor (Globetrottin.com) I will set up the info in the vendor thread.

Ride along if you like.
Looks like you're in the bike rack/luggage business, Great!
Any plans for a rear rack/side-pannier system to carry soft luggage for the 500? Something that could also hold a rotopax fuel container would be great too!

ktm950se
Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #249
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
My exc has the black wheels(which I really liked) and the xcw next to it on the floor had the excel silver wheels. The exc comes geared 14/45 and had the street legal stuff. I liked the black wheels but only wanted basic street legal stuff so the first thing I did was add sicassracings rear fender (nice fit) and flush mount smoke led signals. Removed the stock mirrors and added one sar folding mirror. I went with the 500 over the berg 570 because of the potential for better large capacity fuel options. I've read on other forums issues already rearing their heads like the internal fuel filter clogging and causing the bikes to die and not restart and the issue with the fuel disconnect from the tank rubbing away on the timing chain tensioner. I checked my fuel line and it too is rubbing. I've only got 3 hrs and 100 miles of mostly road work trying to break it in correctly and had no issues besides needing to get a replacement fuel tank as multiple caps were next to impossible to remove without tools (molding/flashing issues?)

Before

After

Much..much brighter
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #250
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickbwg View Post
My exc has the black wheels(which I really liked) and the xcw next to it on the floor had the excel silver wheels. The exc comes geared 14/45 and had the street legal stuff. I liked the black wheels but only wanted basic street legal stuff so the first thing I did was add sicassracings rear fender (nice fit) and flush mount smoke led signals. Removed the stock mirrors and added one sar folding mirror. I went with the 500 over the berg 570 because of the potential for better large capacity fuel options. I've read on other forums issues already rearing their heads like the internal fuel filter clogging and causing the bikes to die and not restart and the issue with the fuel disconnect from the tank rubbing away on the timing chain tensioner. I checked my fuel line and it too is rubbing. I've only got 3 hrs and 100 miles of mostly road work trying to break it in correctly and had no issues besides needing to get a replacement fuel tank as multiple caps were next to impossible to remove without tools (molding/flashing issues?)

Before

After

Much..much brighter
nice !!!! you got a motocrosser.... a trail bike....... a supermoto...... and a road bike all in 1
im trying to buy one

HAPPY LANDINGS
EVEL KNIEVEL
EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #251
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
Looks like you're in the bike rack/luggage business, Great!
Any plans for a rear rack/side-pannier system to carry soft luggage for the 500? Something that could also hold a rotopax fuel container would be great too!

ktm950se
Yes, for certain.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #252
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Desmogulation of the 500EXC

Last Sunday I put 6 hrs & 119 miles on the new bike is a near virgin state. The only change from stock was a 14t countershaft sprocket in place of the 15t original. All else was left bone stock in an effort to see just where the weak points are on this new creation. All in all, the results were impressive. The test course was typical Utah desert merging into tight trails in the cedars with rocky up n down hills, a little water n mud, etc. This resulted is many bike drops in the gnarly sections. Generally, the bike started immediately but as the day wore on it was apparent that the fuel catch canister was saturated causing semi- flooding at startup. As a '07 990 Adv owner, I am familiar with the symptoms. And the correction process.

This bike is somewhat more simple than the big bike. There are only two systems that one may want to disconnect.

Disclaimer - The may void your warranty, piss of California, the Feds, EPA, who know the extent of the abuse you may suffer if you choose to implement these changes. Proceed at your own risk. In other words, don't blame me for your problems. How's that?

The two circuits are...
a. The fuel catch canister for the fuel tank breather
b. The aux air intake for the exhaust port for unburned hydrocarbons

Let's start with a...

I have a rack so I put the bike on that to make access easier. Pull the seat & the fuel tank so that you expose the RH side of the beast. This requires unplugging the fuel pump at the back of the tank & the fuel line on the LH lower tank side. Then remove the (1) bolt in the center of the tank & at least the (2) bolts that attach the tank shrouds to the radiators...access them from the front. I pull the shrouds completely to make it easier.

You will soon notice this item, the fuel catch canister...

It is held to a bracket with a fancy rubber band. Remove that.

One hose from the canister connects to a brass nipple inserted into the inlet port of the cylinder. Unplug this hose. We will plug it in a minute...

Follow the hose from the gas tank cap that runs to the catch canister & note that it also connects to a T. This T connects to a hose on the LH side of the bike that runs to the lower frame rail. Here is the T...

It has a plug in the end. Remove the plug & you will most likely find fuel. I did. It looks like this...

You need a fuel tank breather hose & it good to have it down low out of the way. So unplug the cap hose from the T & leave it....

There is an electrically operated valve under the throttle body. It is mounted on a rubber block pushed onto a bracket....

Insert a small flat blade screwdriver into the rubber & encourage it off the bracket. Leave the bracket....

Remove the canister & hoses from the bike. It should look like this...

You can remove the bracket for the canister by removing the (2) engine mount bolts from the frame. The bracket is attached to the top engine mount bolts, (2) 8 mm items. Be sure to retorque the bolts properly. It looks like this...

Remember the hose on the nipple into the inlet port ? Let's plug that. The easy way is to cut off about 3/4 inch (20 mm) of hose from the end leaving the spring clamp. You need a piece of 1/4 dia rod (6 mm) x 3/8 in long (10 mm) to insert into the end of the hose. Should look like this...

Inserted it looks like this...

Put it onto the nipple.

Last item, the plug for the solenoid valve.

I originally expected this valve to be required to run. In other words, the computer looks for the impedance of the valve or will not start. I tried it both with & without the valve. The computer doesn't seem to care. So let's just hide the plug so it won't be damaged.

I hate water intrusion so i filled the plug with grease & covered the plug with electrical tape. Looks like this...

Route it around behind that frame tube & secure in in a hang down manner with the rubber strap on the frame...

Put on the tank temporarily. Start the engine. Make sure it runs ok. You may need to adjust the idle speed since you removed an air bleed. Look on the LH side of the throttle body & find this knob...

Pull it out & you get a fast idle. But instead, rotate it counter clockwise to increase the idle. Note that it has detentes (clicks). May require 2-3 clicks.

There. Done with step a.

Next, the aux air.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #253
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post

Next, the aux air.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #254
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Sunday I took the 500 off road up on the red river, it was epic. This bike is simply amazing. The power is huge, but controllable. Its like riding magic; you see an obstacle, twist the throttle and magically appear on the other side. I feel a bit silly having even compared it to the 640 adventure, as there is really no comparison. Totally different classes of bikes.

I put together a bunch of clips from the day. Its long and boring (~15 mins), as I'm not a fast/good rider, but I figured folks that are interested in the bike and don't have one might find it informative. I know while I was waiting for my bike to come in after I put a down payment I couldn't find enough video's of the 500 out there.

*edit* video available in HD now

Here are some pictures from the day, slightly dirty

Arkansas 2010

child screwed with this post 11-03-2011 at 07:28 AM
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #255
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Desmogulation of the 500 EXC - Step B

In step a we removed the fuel vapor canister. Step b will remove the auxiliary air circuit.

The system is located on the RH side of the head. It consists of a one way air valve & a filter with a hose connecting the two & look like this...

It is connected to the head with a male fitting screwed into female threads in the cylinder. Remove the rubber band holding the hose to the frame strut. Remove the hose from the valve. Use a 19 mm end wrench to loosen the jamb nut. Turn the whole valve assembly to remove it from the cylinder...

Watch for the copper seal ring. Don't loose it. Remove the jamb nut from the valve. It looks like this...

We need to make a plug for the hole in the cylinder. For that we need a 12 mm x 1.75 bolt about .80 in (20 mm) long. I found a slightly longer bolt at my Ace Hardware & cut it to the noted length. If you do need to cut it, be sure to deburr the end cleanly so as to not damage the threads in the head. It looks like this...

Assemble the nut onto the bolt & insert the copper washer onto the bolt. A little grease will hold it all in place...

Insert the assembly into the head approximately .2 inch (5 mm). Jamb the nut up tight to the head against the washer carefully so as to not damage the threads or seal...

You have now completed step b.

Your pile of parts from step a & b should look like this...

My handy postal scale says this amounts to 1 lb 4 oz.

Smile & go for a ride.