Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #2566
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom View Post
What the heck size bolt is the Secondary Air Supply port?! Harcus on here said M12x1.75 (did not fit my 13 model), another said M12x1.25 which did not work. OEM bolt is on back order til....
Its has a 1.5 thread pitch.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #2567
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,184
Hot enough?

Ok guys, I'm curious, and maybe it has been said before, but

How hot is too hot for these engines?

I know that water boils at roughly 212*F, using a product such as Engine Ice will increase the boiling point to about 255*F, which seems pretty darn hot too me, but I'm very curious as to how hot is too hot for these engines.

At what temperature does this engine get into the danger zone?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #2568
Atomic Wedgie
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
About my turn to finally post some photos. I have been working on this bike since last October and having fun doing so despite not putting many miles on it. The photos below show the following mods:

ignition key eliminator

Sicass switch for signals, headlight and horn (needed to create clearance for clutch lever)

I am probably missing something but . . . there will always be more.

First off, this is a sweet looking bike! Where did you get the ignition key eliminator? And I went on Sicass Racing's web page but couldn't find the top bar mount that raises the odometer up...where did you find that?

TIA
Atomic Wedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #2569
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgie View Post
First off, this is a sweet looking bike! Where did you get the ignition key eliminator? And I went on Sicass Racing's web page but couldn't find the top bar mount that raises the odometer up...where did you find that?

TIA
Stabilizer submount, top handlebar clamp, handguards and the odometer housing on that bike are all from Highwaydirtbikes.

Nicest and toughest stuff out there, I've got it on my Berg as well.

http://highwaydirtbikes.com/
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #2570
Lolodesiles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post

[/I]
maybe when steam comes out ........
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #2571
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolodesiles View Post
maybe when steam comes out ........
Yeah, which could be around 250*F.....that's pretty darn hot for a motorcycle engine......

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #2572
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,285
What is the estimated rebuild schedule on one of these for 50/50 dirt/street?
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #2573
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by soutahduner View Post
I was concerned with the rattle noise too, I did a lot of research and talked to my dealer and everyone says it it normal. lots of people say it is the straight cut gears from the crank to the clutch basket. but I am more inclined to think it is just gear noise in the trans, It is a 6 speed after all and that is a lot of straight cut gears in there that only spin when clutch is out. I have 700 miles on my '13 and no increase or decrease in noise. my only complaints about this bike is the rattle noise and seemingly long break-in. It still smokes a little...I changed oil at 6 hrs and put some synthetic castrol power rs 10 w 50 in and it smoked bad. So I put in honda gn4 10w40 for more break in for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris6_85 View Post
i just picked up a 2013 500 exc yesterday. i rode it around the shop a total of 15 mins at a time. let her cool down then rode another 15 mins and cool down. total 4 times = 1 hr. i completed the 1 hr oil change. and then the next day i went for some trail riding with the boys. right off the get go i knew i was going to be geared to high. but did not think it would be that bad. well it was a tough ride today, the bike just wanted to chug in first gear did not want to go slower than 10 miles an hr if i tried with out working the clutch she would just keel over and i would have to fire her up again. we rode a couple of hrs and besides having to work the clutch a lot more then i am use to i had a blast. i went from a 230L to this 500 and i got lots of learning to do. even though i rode my 230L like a raped ape with over 4000 miles of mostly single track trail on bike. im not a total newbie to trail riding. so being that i come from a 230L to this 500 i am trying to learn and understand the characteristics of this new bike. the bike has a lot more engine clunking noise then my 230L and kinda makes me paranoid.
i think maybe more because i just spent what it feels like my lifes savings on this bike. how ever the clunking noise quites down alot after pulling in the clutch. which i never herd on my 230l anyone know of what that might be? i herd it more today after i cleaned her up after a ride and put her away. any suggestions?

thanks chris
I gave him the 13 tooth countershaft sprocket from my XCW 500.
I bought a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket for my XCW 500.

We had to adjust his clutch and bump up his idle in order to make it a bit more ridable in the tight stuff.

His dipshit dealer didn't give him the bag of bolts for the kickstand and levers.

He has an aluminum skid plate, my experince is that they tend to amplify engine noises.

I told him he needs to pull the smog stuff and get a Rekluse.

We went riding on Sunday, there were 2 EXC 500's and 2 XCW 500's.

guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #2574
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Does anybody have the Clockwork KTM 3.1 gal tank? I was just curious how people are liking them. I just put one on my bike 2013 EXC.
I had one on my 500 EXC. It lasted about 2 hours before it melted through and spilled fuel all over the motor. They are junk. Also, you have to splice the electrical wires on the tank- meaning you have spliced wires sloshing around in gasoline. Finally, the entire fuel pump installation is an abortion. All the o-rings on the fuel pump were damaged in the installation. It leaked from the bottom of the tank, at the fuel pump mount, from the minute it was installed

Here's the tank with two motor hours on it:

This is supposed to be the new and improved version of the tank, too.

I've heard a lot of people say they had good luck and a lot like me say they suck. I've purchased my last Clockwork product. $250 down the drain.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #2575
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:

I know that water boils at roughly 212*F, using a product such as Engine Ice will increase the boiling point to about 255*F, which seems pretty darn hot too me, but I'm very curious as to how hot is too hot for these engines.

At what temperature does this engine get into the danger zone?
The boiling point of water changes with the water pressure. The cooling system pressure in most engines is limited by the spring in the radiator cap. If the coolant gets too hot, the radiator cap will release the pressure and you have boil over of coolant. The engine cooling system should modulate the coolant flow via the t'stat to keep the coolant at a temperature hot enough for decent thermal efficiency and hot enough to boil off water from the oil, but not so hot as to damage the oil and ultimately your engine. just my .02.
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #2576
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by buelless View Post
The boiling point of water changes with the water pressure. The cooling system pressure in most engines is limited by the spring in the radiator cap. If the coolant gets too hot, the radiator cap will release the pressure and you have boil over of coolant. The engine cooling system should modulate the coolant flow via the t'stat to keep the coolant at a temperature hot enough for decent thermal efficiency and hot enough to boil off water from the oil, but not so hot as to damage the oil and ultimately your engine. just my .02.

ok, sounds good. Got a rough temp number on that info.....

Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #2577
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
I have done that exact ride and it is fun. On my 525 EXC I hit reserve on my 3.5 gallon MCX tank. Very curious about how my 500 EXC would perform on that same ride. I have de-smogged. Is there anything else you believe contributed to your stellar gas mileage beyond FI and desmog?
Actually, AV, that mileage is typical. As reported earlier, without any mods, I was getting 66 mpg consistently. After installing a JD Tuner is dropped to 50-55 similar to what Stu said.

With the 3.4 KTM tank that means about 185 mile / tank. If that is not tnuf range, I carry a RotoPax can. Seems to work.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #2578
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
Its has a 1.5 thread pitch.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Correct - The 1.75 was a brain-o. Sorry.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #2579
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Additionally...The fan switch is mounted in the lower tank of the RH radiator. It is a 95 deg C switch. All good if is works. Mine failed during tight single track so some of the water / coolant boiled out. Who knows what this means. I feared that the rings may have suffered. That is the typical failure mode for excess heat. Bought a new switch & some rings for CYA. Installed the switch and kept running the bike. Initially seemed to be a slight increase in oil usage but it now seems to have stabilized. I expect this engine to use a little bit of oil.

My plan? Ride like nothing happened & enjoy it! This bike seems very abuse tolerant!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #2580
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
The following info is taken from this link:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/oi...on-d_1492.html

Temperature limits of some commons lubricating oils are indicated below:
OilTemperature Limits
oFoC
Mineral300149
Petroleum300149
Petroleum, superrefined350149
Perfluorinated compounds600316
Polyphenolether500260
Silicones500260
Synthetic esters400204
Synthetic hydrocarbon400204

I remember a rot (rule of thumb), don't know from where, that essentially said don't exceed 250F with petroleum oil and 320F with synthetics.

Hope this helps SteveO.
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote