Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #2596
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
The Acerbis 3.2 tank is totally plug and play. 20 minutes to install. Like DirtToTar, I spent an incredible amount of time f'ing around trying to get that Clockwork POS to come together- around 10 hours total, and it still sucked. Shit, I can replace the entire top end in less than 10 hours. Infuriating does not adequately describe dealing with the Clockwork tank.

I compare the Clockwork tank to aftermarket parts we used to get in the 70's- nothing fit quite right, the instructions sucked, and it was just an inferior product on every level.

Also, many folks have stated they had good luck with dealing with Clockwork on warranty work. Not me. When one of their tanks leaks and catches on fire they are going to have a very serious liability problem on their hands.
That is exactly how I feel, I got so pissed off at it that I sent it back to clockwork with all the pieces and told them to put that pos back together. I finished putting it on my bike yesterday, ride it for 2 miles and parked it. Today I came home to ride it and the damn thing won't start. Changed in inline fuel filter and still won't start. I want to get the Acerbis, but did you have to lengthen the fuel lines or are they the stock length? I don't like all those splices in my tank.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #2597
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I bought the 5 gallon Acerbis...love it! No need to change the fuel lines.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #2598
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom View Post
Part Number says 13 liter, anyone checked the capacity actually filling it up?
So to speak...I have filled the tank, ran the bike for 186 miles & filled the tank with 3.38 gal of fuel per the state approved pump. And the bike was still running. But probably not for long.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #2599
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Just put a deposit on a 2012 500 XC-W and was wondering if anyone knows the difference in power between the 500 XC-W and the 500 EXC. I rode a 500 EXC over the weekend and enjoyed the hell out of it and wondered how much better the XC-W will be.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #2600
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Just put a deposit on a 2012 500 XC-W and was wondering if anyone knows the difference in power between the 500 XC-W and the 500 EXC. I rode a 500 EXC over the weekend and enjoyed the hell out of it and wondered how much better the XC-W will be.
I've ridden both back to back. The xc-w is snappier down low compared to the exc. Up top the xc-w is still a bit more powerful, but not so much that it prevents you from big fun on the exc. The exc was getting 25% better milage on the same terrain.

I own an xc-w and prefer it that way.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #2601
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Hello all,
Okay I know that the stock headlights on these are not optimal but I have a hard time believing that mine is working as it should. On low beam the small light (tiny) light bulb is on and when set to high beam the larger bulb is on.
When on low beam at night the beam does not even hit the ground and I need to put my hand in front of it to even tell it is on. When on high beam the light is not in any kind of beam and is scattered all over the place.
I have checked connections and looked to see if the light was way out of adjustment but no luck. Are they really this bad?

Rob,
Check to see that your bulb is installed correctly. It could be upside down. The stock headlight is adequate to get you home. Its not good at freeway speeds. A higher wattage may melt the housing. I melted one with a 50 watt bulb. Here is a good place to get a replacement: http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp6235b.html.
You can get 10 for the price of what you would pay for 1 at KTM.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #2602
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
JD Jetting says the EXC shows 3 more ponies in the dyno..
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #2603
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
JD Jetting says the EXC shows 3 more ponies in the dyno..
Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated! I plan on using the XC-W as my hare scramble/enduro bike, so 3 HP won't be missed anyway.

Thanks Toddler, better bottom end is nice. The EXC I rode still had the stock gear and it felt a bit soft in the single track off the bottom. Not a deal breaker though. I'm amazed by the 500, still can't believe how nimble it is in the single track.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like an advertisement Should I start my own 500 thread
Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #2604
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,820
Quote:
. I'm amazed by the 500, still can't believe how nimble it is in the single track.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like an advertisement Should I start my own 500 thread
If you read through this whole thread you will find many of us with the same statements.

I dont think its the "hype" we put out on this thread.... I think the bike is just that good. One of those things that happen when all the stars align....

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #2605
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
That is exactly how I feel, I got so pissed off at it that I sent it back to clockwork with all the pieces and told them to put that pos back together. I finished putting it on my bike yesterday, ride it for 2 miles and parked it. Today I came home to ride it and the damn thing won't start. Changed in inline fuel filter and still won't start. I want to get the Acerbis, but did you have to lengthen the fuel lines or are they the stock length? I don't like all those splices in my tank.
I bought a new fuel pump. I couldn't bear the thought of those spliced wires. Plus, the hoses that Clockwork sends you don't well fit on at least one of the nipples.

The Acerbis is totally plug and play- no screwing with the fuel pump, at all, except transferring from one tank to the other. No wire splicing, no fuel line replacing- nothing.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #2606
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,298
What's the rebuild schedule on these assuming you do 80% fire roads/street and 20% off road/harescrambles? Guy at the stealership says 'never', I call BS.
Tallbastid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #2607
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
I bought a new fuel pump. I couldn't bear the thought of those spliced wires. Plus, the hoses that Clockwork sends you don't well fit on at least one of the nipples.

The Acerbis is totally plug and play- no screwing with the fuel pump, at all, except transferring from one tank to the other. No wire splicing, no fuel line replacing- nothing.
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to buy all new hoses, clamps and wires from the dealer and put it back together how it was stock. Just order a Acrebis tank this morning. So now I have a Clockwork tank for sale.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #2608
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated! I plan on using the XC-W as my hare scramble/enduro bike, so 3 HP won't be missed anyway.

Thanks Toddler, better bottom end is nice. The EXC I rode still had the stock gear and it felt a bit soft in the single track off the bottom. Not a deal breaker though. I'm amazed by the 500, still can't believe how nimble it is in the single track.

I totally agree with you and Todd, better bottom ends are a good thing.

Congrats on the bike!
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #2609
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
If you read through this whole thread you will find many of us with the same statements.

I dont think its the "hype" we put out on this thread.... I think the bike is just that good. One of those things that happen when all the stars align....
I'm with ya brutha!! I've owned a ton of bikes and this thing still amazes me. Makes me a better rider, that's for sure.

I'm facing some serious college tuition next year for my daughter and was thinking about selling the 500 to cash out. Was thinking about finding a nice 450 for $3000 and selling the 500 for at least $8000 and cash out $5k. But I rode another 450 this past weekend (fantastic bike, dont get me wrong) - but I'm not sure I will ever be happy with anything less than this 500.

Good stuff. Planning a ride right now for Saturday down in Westpoint area of Tennessee where they race national enduros......having trouble sleeping at night cuz I'm looking forward to the ride so much!!!!
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #2610
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,156
Advice needed with JD Tuner on my 500 EXC

Bought my 500 EXC with the JD Tuner installed. The bike has been desmogged, has a FMF pipe. We ride mostly between 500 and 1800 feet elevation. The last ride in which I measured MPG was a pretty aggressive twist of the throttle.....likely an example of one of the more "poor-MPG rides" one would take. I got 38 mpg. My bud on his 450 exc pulled about 49 mpg. I do weigh 210 lbs...he is about 150.

I've been reading many of the posts in which guys are easily pulling 50mpg.

Can anyone provide me some tips on settings for the JD Tuner? Should I lean it out some? What would be some initial settings to try?
I believe its set to the stock settings from JD currently. The bike runs well currently, no popping or flameouts....seems to pull quite hard and starts well. I'd just like to get a little better MPG.

Thanks a ton for any advice!!!!
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote