Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #2657
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
LukasM • Today 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer
You might want to put 'blue painters tape' down on your plastics anywhere the Giant Loop will sit. Otherwise it rubs and scratches them to sh*T. ;)

Are you talking about the $50 rear fender on a dirt bike? You better put some pillows on the ground before you crash it, too!
Just kidding dude, but I've got about 30 riding days on mine and don't really notice any difference. In fact where ever the Giant Loop sits it looks much better because of the protection.
Thanks for the tip trailjammer, I am more concerned in melting a strap or the rear fender plastic on the pipe. Like your work btw.

BanhXeo screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 09:54 PM Reason: I cant quote gud
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #2658
Backlash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
2012/2013 KTM 500 EXC fuel line & clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
My original line on my 2013 leaked so I replaced it along with the filter and clamps Also put on the big Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank. This is what I did:

Get rid of all the 2013 KTM rubber fuel hose. Go to the Auto Parts store and buy 5/16 dia. fuel injection fuel line SAE 30R9 and fuel injection fuel line clamps. The EXC 500 is fuel injected. Do not use SAE 30R7 fuel line or regular hose clamps. Also pick up two (one for the tank and one for a spare) in-line 20 micron steel fuel filter like Autozone Durolast FF1203DL that has 5/16 inch barb fittings. Probably not at an auto parts place but from a fittings distributor get a 90 degree bronze or brass elbow with 5/16 barbs on each end. Or, you can build a 90 with two 1/8 pipe thread 5/16 barb fittings and a 90 degree female elbow with teflon tape.

From the bottom of the tank put a length of fuel line to the vertical portion of the 90 degree elbow. Note:this replaces the KTM formed section. Next put in another length of fuel line between the horizontal portion of the elbow to the KTM Quick Disconnect. You be the judge of the length. From the disconnect now you are going vertical to the in-line fuel filter so need another couple clamps and fuel line. From the fuel filter you need another length of hose to the inlet of the fuel injector. You decide if you want to remove the small KTM fuel filter located there. I removed mine as they Durolast is also a 20 micron. So plenty of hose segments and clamps. I plastic wire tied mine to the frame with a rubber isolator in between and also to the metal part of the clutch hyd. line to keep it in a little closer. I bought a spare 90 degree elbow, clamps, filters in-line and filters in the tank just to be safe. You should also get some spare "O" rings for the QD and also for the plastic inlet to the FI unit which is Viton and hard to get if one leaks.

I have about 5300 miles on my 2013 and haven't had a problem.
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #2659
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,419
That fuel setup reminds me of my old irrigation system .

Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #2660
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
My original line on my 2013 leaked so I replaced it along with the filter and clamps Also put on the big Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank. This is what I did:

I have about 5300 miles on my 2013 and haven't had a problem.
It sure would be a lot cleaner and eliminate 5 of your potential points of failure if you could find a pre-formed U that would go from the tank to the filter...

I removed my QD fitting and just plug the inlet end of the filter with the plug from the KTM washing plug kit when I have the tank off to seal it off against any dirt.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #2661
Gimmee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
KTM Gas Tanks

Anyone know the differance between the Acerbis natural 20L and the Ktm Powerparts Natural 19L? Is there another dealer for the Acerbis besides Just Gas Tanks? Prices in these threads seem to vary alot-Acerbis $229 for a 3?gal, $340 for 20L, Ktm power parts 19L $332.

Do these tanks fit over the fan? Is the Ktm tank made by Acerbis? Can you reach the idle adjustment/"choke" with the tank installed?

Anybody have pics of the Ktm tank installed?

Thanks for any info Gimmee
Gimmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #2662
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmee View Post
Anyone know the differance between the Acerbis natural 20L and the Ktm Powerparts Natural 19L? Is there another dealer for the Acerbis besides Just Gas Tanks? Prices in these threads seem to vary alot-Acerbis $229 for a 3?gal, $340 for 20L, Ktm power parts 19L $332.

Do these tanks fit over the fan? Is the Ktm tank made by Acerbis? Can you reach the idle adjustment/"choke" with the tank installed?

Great questions, and just to add one more, (please excuse the hijack).

Do the larger tanks also increase the reserve capacity any?

thx in adv
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #2663
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,323
Quote:
Anyone know the differance between the Acerbis natural 20L and the Ktm Powerparts Natural 19L? I do not. Is there another dealer for the Acerbis besides Just Gas Tanks? I got mine at Munn Racing. Prices in these threads seem to vary alot-Acerbis $229 for a 3?gal, $340 for 20L, Ktm power parts 19L $332.

Do these tanks fit over the fan? Mine does. Is the Ktm tank made by Acerbis? Yes. Can you reach the idle adjustment/"choke" with the tank installed? Yes, but it aint easy- not that was with the stock tank, but a little harder with the Acerbis KTM

I'll get you a pic of mine in a moment. FWIW- I installed mine on Friday and then loaded up the bike and drove it to the gas station. From out of the box empty to full- full being the fuel in the tank is level with the under-side of the gas cap- it took 3.477 gallons.

unaweep screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 03:25 PM
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #2664
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,323

unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #2665
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 630
Quote:

The KTM powerparts 13 liter (3.4 gallon) is actually made by Elkemet in Germany, Acerbis are made in Italy. The Elkemet tank is super high quality, not that the Acerbis is not just the German made tank fits like a glove and the finish on the plastic is sweet.

The choke is a mutha to reach in my opinion ether way, wish it had a hole in the tank like the old RFS tanks did.
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #2666
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 630
sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
That fuel setup reminds me of my old irrigation system .

Now that is bad ass!!
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #2667
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I keep blowing the fuse for the headlight in my '12.
Anybody else have the same problem?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #2668
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom View Post
The choke is a mutha to reach in my opinion ether way, wish it had a hole in the tank like the old RFS tanks did.
I got sick of fighting with mine so leashed a tiny washer to it with some Safety wire.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #2669
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 565
I'm thinking about buying one of these fancy 500exc. Do any of you guys ride them, or are they just for tinkering? Is anybody using them on slow technical single track? Is it too much power for crawling around slowly?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #2670
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
I'm thinking about buying one of these fancy 500exc. Do any of you guys ride them, or are they just for tinkering? Is anybody using them on slow technical single track? Is it too much power for crawling around slowly?

Thanks

Went out this weekend and did some very technical riding in the Alcada area of NM. These 500's are torque monsters, and with the proper gearing, they do very well chugging through tight technical stuff or blasting across the desert.

This bike continues to amaze me.

After a year now, I finally got around to "properly" setting up my suspension, and I must say, the ride is much better....

For those of you who are hovering or are above the 200lb mark, I would suggest getting a "progressive" spring for the rear shock. I have one, and after setting the Free Sag, Rider Sag, static sag, it calculates to a "just right" ride height for me....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote