another photo

Upsandowns screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 10:29 AM
Upsandowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #272
Upsandowns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Word of Caution

Last Photo and if someone can tell me how to add more than one photo at a time, it would be greatly appreciated !!!

Upsandowns screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 10:29 AM
Old 11-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #273
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Holy cow, you are missing springs!

Mine are in place. I wish I could tell you that for some reason these bikes didn't need them :P

The dealer should have plenty of springs in stock. I'd say its probably OK to ride to the dealer and pick up springs. I wouldn't do any off road business until I had springs in place. Headers are usually wedged in place pretty well, as long as your ride is smooth I wouldn't be too worried.
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #274
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Greetings,
'Got to see a 2012 500 EXC in person today. Sweeet ride. But.... there is almost no subframe. Hopefully someone steps up quickly with either a stronger/fuller subframe, or even a nice pannier rack system, to rectify this situation so at least a Giant Loop Great Basin, or even just a Coyote, could be safely added to the bike.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #275
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
The great basin is designed for bikes that can and are built to carry passengers...the exc isn't that bike. I don't see an issue with it handling a coyote.
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #276
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Agreed, on the Great Basin not being designed for this size bike, but I'd like to use it on there just the same.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #277
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsandowns View Post
I'm having difficulty attaching photos
It is best to use a photo sight like Smugmug or Photobucket. Upload to the photo sight then link from Advrider to that sight. There are instructions on Adv on how to do such.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #278
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
passenger pegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntsdad View Post
Hmmm mm...... So I guess mt 140 lb. on the back isn't going to happen? Poor her
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwQNLeUEttA
http://www.tec-cycles.com/id53.html

i found this on another post kool idea
no fat chicks
EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #279
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Great thread ... keep 'er goin;, eh!

Cheers, E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #280
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Removed the smog junk last night...thanks for the tutorial Harcus. I had to go about 6 clicks to the left to get the idle at an acceptable level...suprised it made that much of a difference. I used the spare plug that came with the bike on the cylinder. I used the plastic plug at the end of the tank vent line that was located next to the shifter and a short piece of tubing to block off the small brass nipple. After a little safety wiring I think it will be ok.

I talked to the dealer about getting my replacement fuel tank as the cap won't come off without tools (tried other caps off of different bikes as well) and he stated that KTM was wanting to wait on a new batch instead of sending me one they had in stock. That being the case I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue. Tried to order a bunch of parts and found that most were on backorder until mid December so I just got in line:)

derrickbwg screwed with this post 11-10-2011 at 08:52 AM
Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #281
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

oooh... got a question!

Are you guys being able to do the "de-smogify" on your EXC-Fs without doing a remapping of the ECU?
That is, do you have to both the de-smog and remap at the same time?
Or can you do *just* the de-smogify, have it run better, and then do the XCF-W mapping at a later date?

T'anks! E-Ticket

Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #282
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Derrickbwg

About the filler cap...Yes, it is stubborn. I would say that it an issue with the cap not the tank. The little lock fingers are stiff & do not retract easily.

One option is to go "Lockless"...

Remove the cap
See the 3 Torx head screws
Remove them
Pull out the little locker
Reassemble

Note that all is smooth n sweet.

Will the cap unscrew itself? Do not know but we shall see.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #283
derrickbwg
Adventurer

When I was loading the bike up the dealer went to unscrew the cap when going over the bike and it wouldn't budge, it took a large wrench to get it off. He went to the showroom and grabbed a cap off another bike and it acted the same way on my bike, yet both of those caps worked very easily on the bikes on the floor. We even lubricated the cap slightly and tried to clean up some flashing at the seam on the neck. When I talked to him yesterday he said that KTM was waiting on a new run of tanks before they sent me a replacement because there were concerns of molding/manufacturing issues with other owners bikes and they didn't want to send out any they had in stock. Who knows but that's the answer I got. I still might go the route you suggest until a replacement comes in. The cap is so difficult to turn, especially while trying to depress the lever, that using both hands fully to turn it will surely be an advantage for the time being.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #284
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Also, if you take apart the gas cap ... and apply a little spray silicone on the moving parts ... reassemble ... and work it a bit ... it will ease up tremendously! Also, spray some silicon onto a paper towel and wipe the rubber sealing gasket and the cap will turn about 300% easier.

Hope this helps. Cheers! E-Ticket

E-Ticket2 screwed with this post 11-10-2011 at 07:37 PM
Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #285
Upsandowns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Gas Cap Problems

Went to the gas station the other day and it took me almost 20 minutes to get the cap off. How in the world can they charge so much for a bike with such an obvious deficiency? I had a similar problem with my 690 Enduro on a completely different type of cap and had to get a new cap that was also a problem until I sanded it down. Harcus' solution of removing the 3-pronged "lock" inside the cap takes all of about 60 seconds and the cap goes on tight as long as you replace the torx screws tightly. There could be a problem in a bad fall but I've had several and not experienced any issues.

I also found that the dealers are familiar with the issues Harcus has done such a good job of describing in his "desmogging" contributions on page 17. Rather than attempt this myself, I think I'll let the dealer handle it when I take it in for service in the next month or two as they think some adjustment might need to be made to the mapping when those devices are removed. I'm getting a lot of backfiring and on a very hard ride on Tuesday the bike would occasionally stop and be difficult to re-start.