Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #2881
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riding4fun View Post
Weird they used to be Scorpion Racing - I have one of their skid plates on my YZ250 real tough, also real pain to install (had to pull pipe)
Yeah they had to change their name because Pirelli thought using the name Scorpion was a trademark infringement. The skidplate for the 500 went on fairly easy. Haven't gotten around to the rad guards yet, but from what I see they're no different than others. Very robust construction so they'll provide good protection when I slam the bike onto the earth.

Garrett
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #2882
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,977
[QUOTE=avconnect;20148327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysideup View Post

I like the Acerbis model because tire changes are very easy with it. It is affordable and easy to install. I have never seen anyone break or damage a front disk rotor so, in my opinion, the more robust carbon fiber units are a waste of money not to mention the extra hassle of removing them in order to pull the wheel.
The trick with disc gaurds is...If you smack a plastic gaurd hard enough to bend the metal disc underneath,how is the plastic stronger then the metal?
They both bend,the plastic bends easily. Its physics.
Disc gaurds are great for keeping brush out of the hub/disc area and they keep the disc from getting the air it should so brakes can run hotter if used hard.
Ive never bent a disc yet in many years of trailriding but I know it happens.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #2883
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,614
[QUOTE=Foot dragger;20149014]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
The trick with disc gaurds is...If you smack a plastic gaurd hard enough to bend the metal disc underneath,how is the plastic stronger then the metal?
They both bend,the plastic bends easily. Its physics.
Disc gaurds are great for keeping brush out of the hub/disc area and they keep the disc from getting the air it should so brakes can run hotter if used hard.
Ive never bent a disc yet in many years of trailriding but I know it happens.
I've bent the front disk on every dirt bike I have ever owned except my current one(5 bikes now). Must be the rocks around this place.

I do not run a guard on the front as it is a hassle. I do run a rear fin guard as rear disks are very easy to bend without falling.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #2884
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,522
I've had branches get into the front caliper and push the brake pucks back. Then you have nothing. I run the Accerbis/KTM guard. Cheap, easy install.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #2885
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
well long story short, my rear break line got snapped at the bend right before it bolts into the caliper. since I have to replace it anyway...can anyone recommend a good upgrade? i'm thinking somebody makes a braided line for these.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #2886
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
well long story short, my rear break line got snapped at the bend right before it bolts into the caliper. since I have to replace it anyway...can anyone recommend a good upgrade? i'm thinking somebody makes a braided line for these.
I've had good dealings with Galfer for brake lines on 3 bikes now (soon to be 4... need a new front on the 690 too). They make them to order so there is no charge for extra length, different colors, etc. http://www.galferusa.com/brake-lines-for-off-road-mx/
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #2887
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Seat mod 500xcw

I ordered the seat concepts standard height/density foam and cover for my '13 500xcw.

Its a nice product but only 7 1/2" wide at the widest point, the same width as the oem seat pan.

I liked it for short rides when standing most of the time but for joining trails with hwy stints of 50km + it wasn't comfortable enough for me

Since I'm in Cambodia it wasn't viable to send it back so luckily the labor to modify it is cheap here.

Browsing around I came across http://www.fishersaddlebags.com and decided I liked the design of their 9" wide seat using the OEM base and adding to the OEM foam

So the next step was to wander down to the local motorbike upholsterers and see what they could do.
Cant buy good quality foam here so we cut up the oem foam to add to the seat concepts foam

Coming together

They made a new (larger) cover from scratch and copied the lines of the seat concepts cover

Stretched nice and tight and well secured

Finished product

Spot on 9"

Cost was $15 for 3 hours labor and materials, plus a tip

Very comfortable.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #2888
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Wonder what happened during your install?....just measured mine and it is at 8 1/2".

Hands down the best seat right out of the box. I have them on three of my bikes...a must have upgrade same as a stabalizer in my opinion.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #2889
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss314 View Post
Wonder what happened during your install?....just measured mine and it is at 8 1/2".

Hands down the best seat right out of the box. I have them on three of my bikes...a must have upgrade same as a stabalizer in my opinion.

Are you referring to the seatconcepts foam for the KTM 500 ?

If so, I have to disagree. My last post shows it measuring 7 1/2" at its widest point.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #2890
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,079
I ordered a pre-built seat concepts last week.. I'll measure it and show a pic when it arrives for reference (the ready-to-go version they build).

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #2891
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
I put my prebuilt seat on a month ago and love it, best thing I put on my bike by far.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #2892
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,109
Powerlett and HDB

I may have posted this before....can't recall..... but, some folks asked for some more info on this setup, so I took some more pics to post up.....

I went with Powerlet due to their reliability and quality products for motorcycles.

Here is a listing of what I've put on my KTM 500 EXC

Low-Profile Powerlet Socket

PowerLet Fuse Block Assembly

Rigid Powerlet to Cigarette Socket Adapter

Micro USB Short Powerlet Charging Cable

Here is an image of the Fuse Block installed next to the Battery and next to the stock Fuse Block. This Fuse Block interfaces between the battery and the following:

Hard-wired GPS
Trickle Charger - That can double as a heater for a vest
PowerLet Plug - mounted on the HDB bar
AdvMonstor LED lights - To be setup

Here are some more pics of the full setup

Note: Upgraded version of the HDB top Clamp

As far as power drain, it's really a non-issue.

Generally any USB device (iPod, cell phone) pulls 5V, which is nothing compared to the 200W the system pumps out.
To get a rough estimate of your available power...

200 Watts divided by available voltage (12), allows for roughly 16.5 amps.
16.5amps is a lot of juice, plenty for any accessories you can slap on a dirt bike.

Anyhow, this is the current setup....soon, I'll be adding the AdvMonster lights....should be awesome.....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 12:23 PM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #2893
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBejbl View Post
Met up with the big bike drop-o-rama crowd in the NE region on Sunday. We had a great time. Lots of mud, ice, water and rocks.

Just hosed off the 500 so I can put a skid plate on. Also went with the RAM mount mirrors. Just loosen and fold in.

A great bike!
Sweet ride,will have to check out your bike if/when I can make it to another ride. I think I was on one of those where I saw that bike?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #2894
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
On dirt bikes or carbon monoxide?
I'd say both!

Although I don't see this incident as a precursor to him sitting in a garage with his car running, just to get a wiff of the fumes...... Although, I do see him getting a bike in the future......

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #2895
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Are you referring to the seatconcepts foam for the KTM 500 ?

If so, I have to disagree. My last post shows it measuring 7 1/2" at its widest point.
Yup...500EXC
One of the best upgrades I have installed. A ....."Must Have"

Just installed the BD Squadron headlight. Holy Shite that baby is bright! Looks like I am going to need to order the dimmer as well.