Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #2956
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
here's a picture of the BD plug that needs to be wired in.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #2957
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,073
The blue and black on the pigtail on the BD switch are for the kill/off circuit, so when you turn the switch off it closes the contact and from what I can tell the red and white w/orange are power out and power in, so when you turn the switch to off you're powering up the bike, which is what sounds like is happening.

What are the blue and green on the KTM plug going to. They should be green=ground and blue=kill. Please check that.

The BD switch has a 4 connector plug and the pigtail coming out is just the kill side, the other 2 that are not wired into the female side of the connector are for the power/on side of the switch, that's where the red and white w/stripe should be wired. When I wired mine in I added the wires into the connector, but I had all the parts because those are the connectors I wire my bike up with.

Hope that makes sense.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #2958
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

ok now I'm starting to get the big picture.
do you mean the blue and white/red wire on the KTM plug? from what you said the orange and green are what I'm guessing are the power in and power out but the other two don't go to anything. just like on the BD switch there are 4 wires but on the BD pigtail there are only 2.

Here's a picture of the switch side of the KTM plug.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #2959
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,073
Chad with that pic could you check the continuity between the wires and the on/off position of the switch, then I could tell you how to wire it up.

With the switch off are the green and blue connected and in the on are the orange and white w/red stripe connected? The red and the white w/orange stripe are on either side of the switch on the schematic are they on the bike side of the plug?

Don't wire green in yet till we know where it goes, my guess is it's ground and you'll pop a fuse. What wires on the other side of the plug correspond to the colors on the switch side of the plug.

Orange = ?
White w/red stripe = ?
Blue =?
Green =?

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #2960
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

orange > red
white/red >just ends in plug under green wire
blue > just ends in plug under orange wire
green > white/orange

I picked up a multimeter but I'll have to check the wires in the a.m. when I get off work.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #2961
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
BD keyed switch install 500 xcw

Turns out the switch was pretty much plugnplay for the 500 XCW.

It comes with a splice connector which you splice across the two wires coming from the kill button

A small mounting bracket is included but I installed mine in the HDB topclamp which had a hole machined for that purpose

The result is the motor will still turn over with the starter, but wont fire with the BD switch in the off position.
On the XCW, lights etc will only work with the motor running.
I guess you'd need to wire in the two other contacts of the BD switch to power up lights/etc with motor off.
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #2962
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Thought to add a little vid from my very first winter outing with the 500 EXC, with studded tyres. Taking it easy on some forest roads, enjoying the really easy handling, smooth FI and plain general funness of the bike.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #2963
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
Thought to add a little vid from my very first winter outing with the 500 EXC, with studded tyres. Taking it easy on some forest roads, enjoying the really easy handling, smooth FI and plain general funness of the bike.

They are called snowmobiles and they are really fun in the snow.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #2964
ngads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
They are called snowmobiles and they are really fun in the snow.
most of us don't want to spend another 10 grand on a snowmobile.........
ngads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #2965
mnsnowhawk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngads View Post
most of us don't want to spend another 10 grand on a snowmobile.........
That why you get a timbersled mountainhorse kit and use your bike all year. Way more fun than a snowmobile and more fun than your bike on dirt also. Try to get a demo ride and I guarantee you will be hooked.
mnsnowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #2966
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowhawk View Post
That why you get a timbersled mountainhorse kit and use your bike all year. Way more fun than a snowmobile and more fun than your bike on dirt also. Try to get a demo ride and I guarantee you will be hooked.
How much is it?
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #2967
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowhawk View Post
Yeah, I've seen some of those kits. Likely fun, but expensive kits. Besides, in Finland, snowmobile tracks and forest roads do not mix, legally anyway. You cannot ride snowmobiles on forest roads, and cannot take dirt bikes on snowmobile tracks (which are much more scarce here).

So, I prefer my snowmobile in orange and KTM 500 flavor for now, cost with studded tyres is minimal, and year-round fun is achieved.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #2968
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

well finally got the video of my first ride on the 500 uploaded and thought you guys might like to check it out.
this was back in july so i'll get some more uploaded soon with the upgrades on the bike. enjoy!

*disclaimer : there are some fast motion parts in the video so it's just music instead of motor. i dunno, some people get anal about that kind of stuff but i'm pretty sure everyone here knows what it sounds like.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #2969
mnsnowhawk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
How much is it?
Link to their website. Has pricing and all info needed.
http://timbersled.com/

Another video to show how well they work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKnMEr_KBo
mnsnowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #2970
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Chad with that pic could you check the continuity between the wires and the on/off position of the switch, then I could tell you how to wire it up.

With the switch off are the green and blue connected and in the on are the orange and white w/red stripe connected? The red and the white w/orange stripe are on either side of the switch on the schematic are they on the bike side of the plug?

Don't wire green in yet till we know where it goes, my guess is it's ground and you'll pop a fuse. What wires on the other side of the plug correspond to the colors on the switch side of the plug.

Orange = ?
White w/red stripe = ?
Blue =?
Green =?
hey thanks for all your help with this Paul! I picked up a multimeter and checked the continuity with the pigtail plugged into the BD switch. turns out all I needed to do was take the wires out of the pigtail and reverse and reinstall them to the other side of the plug. plugged it up into the power and ground wires from the bike and voila! works like a charm.