Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #286
Grouser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Had the same gas "tank" issue with my 2012 350 XCF-W. I was doing the PDI with the dealer and went to remove my cap and it wouldn't release. We used one person to push down on the release lock with a socket and another person turning the cap with a pair of channel locks before the gas cap would open.

I took that cap and tried it on several other KTMs at the dealer and it worked perfect. I took those gas caps and tried it on my tank and everyone would hang. KTM warrantied the tank and I got the new one today and installed it. Cap and tank work perfect now.

-Lee
Old 11-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #287
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
oooh... got a question!

Are you guys being able to do the "de-smogify" on your EXC-Fs without doing a remapping of the ECU?
That is, do you have to both the de-smog and remap at the same time?
Or can you do *just* the de-smogify, have it run better, and then do the XCF-W mapping at a later date?

T'anks! E-Ticket
ET

Was at the dealer today to pick up the plate for the EXC. Had one of the parts guys check the KTM data on maps for the EXC vs the XC-W. Sure enough, they list a different map number.

This could be because the EXC has the smog items installed & the XC-W does not. No way to know for certain.

Note that a dealer has NO way to modify a map for any changes you may have done to your bike. He can only download a different previously created map onto your machine.This dealer offered to load either map for me. My plan is to ride it as is & see how it performs and go from there.

Hope that helps...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #288
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
ET

Was at the dealer today to pick up the plate for the EXC. Had one of the parts guys check the KTM data on maps for the EXC vs the XC-W. Sure enough, they list a different map number.

This could be because the EXC has the smog items installed & the XC-W does not. No way to know for certain.

Note that a dealer has NO way to modify a map for any changes you may have done to your bike. He can only download a different previously created map onto your machine.This dealer offered to load either map for me. My plan is to ride it as is & see how it performs and go from there.

Hope that helps...
Yup, that's my question, Harcus. We know that:

a) There are three different, stock FI maps for the 350s:
== the 350 SXF and XCF use the same aggresive, full-power map
== the 350 XCF-W uses a slightly milder, more enduro-tuned map
== the street-legal 350 EXC-F uses an EPA-specific map that is tuned "leaner and greener" -- that also works with the more restrictive EXC exhaust

b) A dealer can download a new/different map onto an ECU ... but cannot directly manipulate that individual map.

So, the two remaining questions in my mind are:

a) Can you download the XCF-W map onto an EXC-F ECU?
.... Or is the ECU "locked" to block tampering with the stock EPA-ceritified map?

b) Can you de-smogify the EXC-F ..... but leave the stock EXC-F mapping in place ... and still have your bike run okay and not dangerously lean?

The last two questions were the ones I was driving at. I just didn't do a very good job of explaining.

Cheers! E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #289
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
KTM has this piece of software called the efi user tool, that allows you to map (and modify the map!!) yourself supposedly. seen it on the fi SXs. Has anyone tried it out on these new exc's yet?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #290
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
KTM has this piece of software called the efi user tool, that allows you to map (and modify the map!!) yourself supposedly. seen it on the fi SXs. Has anyone tried it out on these new exc's yet?

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #291
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

http://www.ktm.com/uploads/media/69029096140en_OM.pdf

Check it out, works on the RC8 as well apparently! Makes me feel it works on all Keinin injection systems (exc's, Husabergs, 690's, lc8's)

The driver is even avail for download at husaberg dot com.

Can someone post a picture of the diag plug on their EXC? I recon it's the same as all other ktm's? that would mean this usb plug for sale by ktm is about the same for all other ktm's to then
Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #292
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,042
Thevdial is the same as 690
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #293
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Thevdial? whats that?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #294
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
http://www.ktm.com/uploads/media/69029096140en_OM.pdf

Check it out, works on the RC8 as well apparently! Makes me feel it works on all Keinin injection systems (exc's, Husabergs, 690's, lc8's)

The driver is even avail for download at husaberg dot com.

Can someone post a picture of the diag plug on their EXC? I recon it's the same as all other ktm's? that would mean this usb plug for sale by ktm is about the same for all other ktm's to then
The manual keeps refering to off road models. My guess is that it doesn't work on street FI models. I note that the manual says the cable has memory so that data logging may be done without having a computer attached. Nice feature.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #295
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
It wuzz a goood day!!!

no more having to fire up my lap top to look at pictures of this bike
took her out today around the hood its sweet it felt a little sleepy on the bottom but after i regear and desmog it should be perfect its my first ktm my first 4stroke my first duel sport dammm shes a sexy beast i got big plans for this bike
and those black rims and black spokes with silver hubs i could look at them all day lol

HAPPY LANDINGS

EVEL KNIEVEL
Attached Images

EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #296
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Congrats Evel! How do you get any wrenching done in the garage with the Evel pinball machine?
It does feel pretty weak off the bottom with the stock gearing. I desmogged and went 13/48 and it feels much better. I'm use to the power of my 450x so this is different but should work well for the type of use I have planned for it. Did the first oil change and added rear disk guard, sprockets, bars,and the front axel pull over the weekend. It's so nice working on a clean bike for a change...but I'd rather have it dirty from some use.
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #297
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,797
Just got my new 500EXC home. Worked on it for two days getting the usual parts installed. 15/48 gearing, new chain with two more links (116), MT21 Pirelli's, grips, handguards. Then put on the first hour before the recommended first oil change and valve check. Yes, one hour.

Love the gearing. This 15/48 would be very much like a 14/45, down one tooth on the front. Easy 65 mph, very leasurely 55 mph. Low enough first gear for easy trails. I can now swap in a 13 or 14 for real trail gearing or use the 15 for summer riding on dirt roads.

The transmission ratios are different than other bikes I've had. The 1-4 gears are close ratio, then 5th and 6th have larger gaps for the road sections. Most bikes are geared the opposite, wide ratio in the lower gears and narrowing toward the top.

The bike came with some 'gas' in it, maybe about 1/2 gal from KTM. It was very blue colored, I assumed with a fuel stabilizer of some type. I topped it off with about 2 gallons of gas and started it up. Man, it smoked like a two-stroke. I'm thinking I maybe got a post-octoberfest bike. When I smelled the exhaust, it was just like the two stroke oil from Motorex. KTM must have added that oil for an initial break-in top end lube.

This bike really steers quick. It's just like the 300 XC-W geometry. I can't wait to try it out in tight woods sections. It doesn't feel very stable at high speeds, kind of has a busy head shake at 60 mph +. It is not bad, just not like the old 450/530 geometry.

More after the valve check work. Taller seat, taller handle bars and a second rear wheel with cush drive.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #298
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Went off roading Saturday again with my xc-w. I think this is my 3rd time off road with it. It has a 14 tooth front sprocket, up from 13, I think I may go back to the 13 and drop some teeth off the rear sprocket. Seems like I stalled it 3/4 of the way up too many slow rocky climbs. Fun none the less.

My buddy (enderthex) took and edited this video with his new gopro2, very cool video. Enderthex is on the blue yamaha 250, my dad is on the green kawasaki 200 and I'm on the 500.

I did my 2nd oil change and 15 hour valve check the Friday before riding, no surprises Love this bike!!!
Arkansas 2010

child screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 11:44 PM Reason: I can never make a post with out editing, never
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #299
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
This bike really steers quick. It's just like the 300 XC-W geometry. I can't wait to try it out in tight woods sections. It doesn't feel very stable at high speeds, kind of has a busy head shake at 60 mph +. It is not bad, just not like the old 450/530 geometry.

More after the valve check work. Taller seat, taller handle bars and a second rear wheel with cush drive.
If it is like the Bergs then check where the tube valve and the tyre lock are located, nearly next to each other which causes the horrible feel and handling at higher speeds.

Get the wheels balanced and all is good.

Cush hub is a good investment, fitted a Rad hub and Excel rim by Woody's to my Berg.

xronly

Cruz screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 12:11 PM
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #300
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
In

subscribing.

Since I've sold my WR250R, I've bumped up to the Orange koolaid.
This 500 EXC is quite a beast. This is my first KTM ownership, and I must say I'm quite impressed with the power of the bike.

One thing I noticed about the bike differences.

The Jap bikes seem more ready to rev, and seem smoother off idle.
The KTM feels like a diesel engine; kinda loosely put together, but powerful.

So far, I've put on the 1 hour break-in ride, and now I'm working towards checking the valves and changing the oil. One thing I've found, or have not been able to find, is a Factory Repair Service Manual for this 2012 KTM 500 EXC...... bummer.

At any rate, I'm excited about this bike.

Cell phone pics

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 09:02 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote