Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #3001
dirt missile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Not sure if you guys have covered the rad fan switch or not but I made some discoveries today and thought I would share. The switch on my XCW failed after the first week, so I called the dealer and was told I was SOL but I could get a new one for $54 As fate would have it, my 390 Berg switch was also bad and they happen to be the same. An 84 BMW 318i switch will work and they're offered in 91c and 99c but nobody local has them....of course.

I decided to paw through a friends parts bin at a rally shop and see what I could come up with but found nothing that would work. We decided to chuck the switch into the lathe and pop the cap off and have a look inside. The reason why the switch failed was burned out terminals, the bi-metal disc and popper was fine. My theory is that the switch isn't rugged enough to pass the current for the fan and burns out prematurely. I think the solution is to add a simple relay to the circuit and run a pair of leeds to the fan from the battery directly, with a fuse of course.

The cars that use this style of fan switch all have a relay, so it's obvious to me that it's a start. Probably better for the fan also, since it's not pulling so much amperage through the fan switch. Anyway, there it is
Arcing and contact chatter (on-off, on-off, etc.) are what really kills contact switches like these. Bi-metal switches don’t usually slam closed (reducing arcing), they’ll arc and erode the contacts quickly as they close slowly (500ms vs 100ms). The addition of a relay may not help much, because the same conditions will still exist at the switch. The switch and contact material are likely shite. A more robust switch may work out better. Do we know of one? But good luck! Let us know how it works out.
Or, I could be completely off base... it's happened before!
dirt missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #3002
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Not sure but I've had two switches burnout in 6 months time on two different bikes that use the same switch. The one I tore into had burned contacts, and the other switch is probably the same burned contacts. The switches in the 950's are different anyway, apples to oranges. The local auto parts guy said the catalog said the part was made by Fiat Fiat- The Italian Lucas
Crank

I haven't looked but is the 690 switch compatible with the 500 switch? Could it be used? If I recall you have have a 690.

Garrett
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #3003
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
hi lo beam rocker switch on 500 xcw

Following pic is from Dvwalker's post on the hdb thread
It shows a 3 way rocker switch mounted in the hdb clamp.

I'm wondering if I can fit the 3 way rocker switch to my top clamp in the following pic

Can one of the 4 bottom switch holes be modified to fit the rocker switch ?

If not, any suggestions on a clean switch/wiring setup to provide hi/lo/off for the headlight on a 500xcw ?

I'm running the 40/45w sicass halogen in the oem headlight.
I prefer not to use the plastic universal horn/light/indicator switch block.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #3004
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Bill

What part is that for the key assembly? I am planning on the powerlet socket in my HDB top clamp and I like the idea of using the other large hole for the key.
Second question: did you find that flipping the brackets that attach the bars to the top plate gave you better clearance on the clutch cable? In your pic it looks like you have plenty of space.
Thanks

Dan
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #3005
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
Bill

What part is that for the key assembly? I am planning on the powerlet socket in my HDB top clamp and I like the idea of using the other large hole for the key.
Second question: did you find that flipping the brackets that attach the bars to the top plate gave you better clearance on the clutch cable? In your pic it looks like you have plenty of space.
Thanks

Dan
It's the Bajadesigns keyed switch. Refer pg's 197-198 for recent discussion on wiring etc.

I'm not sure if flipping the attachment brackets gave more clearance for the clutch line, but I do have plenty of clearance.
I flipped them mainly because the guards seemed to bolt up easier that way.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #3006
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Best all around bike

Im going to say this is the best all around bike I've ever owned. It is the closest you'll ever get to a true dual sport! I've taken it up to ouchita national forest on a multi day trip, I've raced it in a offroad race part of the torn racing series and now about to do an mx race at Freestone which is a track in Texas part of the mx nationals and I'm keeping the license plate on just to prove this point. For catching some serious air I am beefing up the suspension but other than that it's mx ready. Mine is a plated xcw. The KTM slogan that all their bikes are race ready I would have to agree.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #3007
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
So that's it. I just finished all 200 pages and 3000 replies in this thread.
And yes I went and put a deposit on a 2013 500 exc.
Thanks to this thread I went in to my dealer with 3 pages of notes / parts I wanted. I got a blanket 10% off so I ordered most of the initial parts I plan to add.
I still need to sort out my HDB order, steering damper, powerlet stuff, and a few other minor odds and ends.
My Renazco seat build date is in March.
I plan to pick up the bike in January.
I think my WR250R is already getting jealous.
Just picked mine up yesterday from Boise. It's still sitting on the back of my 4Runner in the garage (had 2-3' of snow at Tahoe already, and it was a 7 hour drive back).

What are you getting? Any plans on a HTC oil cooler or upgraded stator?
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #3008
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
So that's it. I just finished all 200 pages and 3000 replies in this thread.
And yes I went and put a deposit on a 2013 500 exc.
Thanks to this thread I went in to my dealer with 3 pages of notes / parts I wanted. I got a blanket 10% off so I ordered most of the initial parts I plan to add.
I still need to sort out my HDB order, steering damper, powerlet stuff, and a few other minor odds and ends.
My Renazco seat build date is in March.
I plan to pick up the bike in January.
I think my WR250R is already getting jealous.
Congrats! Your gonna love this bike. It comes as close as possible to the "do-everything" bike that a rider could want.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #3009
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Not sure if you guys have covered the rad fan switch or not but I made some discoveries today and thought I would share. The switch on my XCW failed after the first week, so I called the dealer and was told I was SOL but I could get a new one for $54 As fate would have it, my 390 Berg switch was also bad and they happen to be the same. An 84 BMW 318i switch will work and they're offered in 91c and 99c but nobody local has them....of course.

I decided to paw through a friends parts bin at a rally shop and see what I could come up with but found nothing that would work. We decided to chuck the switch into the lathe and pop the cap off and have a look inside. The reason why the switch failed was burned out terminals, the bi-metal disc and popper was fine. My theory is that the switch isn't rugged enough to pass the current for the fan and burns out prematurely. I think the solution is to add a simple relay to the circuit and run a pair of leeds to the fan from the battery directly, with a fuse of course.

The cars that use this style of fan switch all have a relay, so it's obvious to me that it's a start. Probably better for the fan also, since it's not pulling so much amperage through the fan switch. Anyway, there it is

I haven't had any issue with my EXC but when I read about issues I check stuff out.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...itch-95-100-dg

The switch is 21.95 from these uys and fits the following bikes.

KTM 250 XCF-W 2008
» KTM 250 XCF-W 2009
» KTM 250 XCF-W 2012
» KTM 250 XCF-W Champion Edition 2010
» KTM 250 XCF-W Six Days 2011
» KTM 400 XC-W 2009
» KTM 400 XC-W 2010
» KTM 450 EXC 2011
» KTM 450 EXC 2009
» KTM 450 EXC 2010
Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3010
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post

What are you getting? Any plans on a HTC oil cooler or upgraded stator?
I was under the impression that neither an oil cooler or a different stator was really necessary on this bike. Are you planning on changing yours? If so, what made you decide to do so?

I'm going to start out with some of the usual stuff. Desmog, acerbis nylon skid plate, acerbis nylon front brake disc guard, ktm alloy rear brake guard, ktm case saver, sicass rear light, sicass rear blinkers, sicass combo light / horn switch, baja designs squadron front light, HDB (guards, sub mount, top plate, front blinkers), Scott's damper, powerlet socket (for gps), Renazco seat, ktm rear grab handle, kreiga front grab loop, golan fuel filter, ktm / acerbis 13 liter gas tank, SRI radiator guard, pivot pegz, new sprockets (13/50).

My dealer tried to talk me into a new Akrapovic exhaust but I'm going to try the stock exhaust for a bit. I'm still trying to figure out what carry system I am going to use for tools, tubes, etc. I want to keep things on the minimalist side. I've got full Wolfman racks on my WR and I want something less involved than that. I'll probably go with something like the ProMoto billet rear rack then just use a Kreiga 10 or something.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #3011
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Crank

I haven't looked but is the 690 switch compatible with the 500 switch? Could it be used? If I recall you have have a 690.

Garrett
The 690 switch is different for sure, might be worth welding a new boss to the radiator and upgrading to the 690 switch, they're pretty robust. I'm 90% sure the 690 has the same switch as the 950 ADV/SE
Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #3012
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
I was under the impression that neither an oil cooler or a different stator was really necessary on this bike. Are you planning on changing yours? If so, what made you decide to do so?
Didn't research the bike as fully as typical (6+ months is my usual for big purchases)... so bear with me :)

I'm thinking of the HT because it helps increase the oil capacity. Based upon some of the readings, it helps extend the oil change periods to ~1000 miles ("when it starts to feel notchy") w/o any harmful side effects. Along the same threads, was a stator upgrade discussion which would allow additional power for things like upgrade lights, powerlets for heated gear and heated grips.

Quote:
I'm going to start out with some of the usual stuff. Desmog, acerbis nylon skid plate, acerbis nylon front brake disc guard, ktm alloy rear brake guard, ktm case saver, sicass rear light, sicass rear blinkers, sicass combo light / horn switch, baja designs squadron front light, HDB (guards, sub mount, top plate, front blinkers), Scott's damper, powerlet socket (for gps), Renazco seat, ktm rear grab handle, kreiga front grab loop, golan fuel filter, ktm / acerbis 13 liter gas tank, SRI radiator guard, pivot pegz, new sprockets (13/50).
I think I'm going to follow in some of your footsteps!
  • I do like the HDB's (have them on my F800) and the two additional powerlets are very nice for cool weather riding. Plus I'm thinking the mirrors... Not quite feeling the ones on the bike right now (bikes fall and those mirrors look like they're going to get beat on, badly).
  • Will add the skid plate (the metal ones on the BMW make a nice 'TANG' sound when playing with rocks and would imagine the same being a nice to have for the KTM.
  • Pivot pegz, yup.
  • Golan fuel filter (after I clean/flush that tank)
  • Radiator guard
  • Front/Rear grab loops (where do you grab w/o the loop on the rear without being afraid of cracking something?)

Quote:
My dealer tried to talk me into a new Akrapovic exhaust but I'm going to try the stock exhaust for a bit. I'm still trying to figure out what carry system I am going to use for tools, tubes, etc. I want to keep things on the minimalist side. I've got full Wolfman racks on my WR and I want something less involved than that. I'll probably go with something like the ProMoto billet rear rack then just use a Kreiga 10 or something.
Yup. I have a ton of Wolfman stuff right now, but usually when I'm traveling light, a backpack is enough. Something on the rear seat/pannier would be nice. Will have to take a look on that ProMoto billet (looks like it's one of the best)

Thanks! Keep us in the loop!
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #3013
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
No fan needed today

Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #3014
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Mojavi + Wolfman Rolie

GL Mojavi saddlebags with Wolfman small or medium rolie on my 500xcw.
Rolies dont move, very secure and simple strap system.
Yet to test the mojavi/rolie combo.

Thought about the PMB rack but decided heavy items like tools/spares/tubes would best be carried lower.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #3015
Harley Beemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
What are some preferred oils for the 500?

Whom has best pricing on Coyote saddle bags?

Got my HDB stuff coming from Paul to work with Flexxbars. Should be interesting.

Thanks fellas.