PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
Anyone get a bike lately and can tell me if your bag included the SAS plug

what was in your bolt bag ?

Thats sounds funny eh :-)
2013 picked up in December. No SAS bolt nor washer. Had to go and buy it. Picked up the bolt to replace the nipple into the cylinder head, instead of just capping it with some extra hose.

In the bag, a reflector with the lock washer thingies, kickstand bolt, and two of the unknown bolts IIRC.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #3407
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Anyone get a bike lately and can tell me if your bag included the SAS plug

what was in your bolt bag ?

Thats sounds funny eh :-)
No SAS plug in mine.

I ordered the 500 XC-W part # 12 and 13. Since the XC-W does not have the SAS these are parts used by the factory to seal the hole used by the SAS.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #3408
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoonalt View Post
I go back and forth between the 2 bikes. As far as my skill level? I'm an average rider just looking for a quality piece that might illicit a few grins on this old face. My racing/crashing days are behind me, and at 54 I'm more into having fun and not scaring the crap out of myself. There will be no extended highway pavement runs (boring, and why I sold my Versys) but there might be some twisty pavement runs, mixed in with dirt road stuff and any single track I can find(Vermont frowns on that). I'll probably be using the bike to 75% of it's abilities most of the time honestly. Why I'm leaning towards the 500? Weight. I haven't even seen a 690 yet but have sat on a 500 and just can't get over how light it felt. Coming from a 650l, it felt like a trials bike (have a Sherco 2.9) and everything on it was buttery smooth. I hear all the comments and go back and forth like a ping pong ball.
Nice to hear that a lot of people are getting a lot of miles out of the 500 without issues. Question I still need answered is what's involved once it does need a rebuild and the average cost. Not a deal breaker, just trying to get an idea what I'm in for.
Friends getting a GS1200, hence my original gander at the gs800. Can I hang with him on a day ride of mostly back roads and dirt?
Interesting. I'm thinking 450/500 exc/xc-w specifically for riding Vermont. Sounds like it would eat the dirt up over there in good shape.

I was wondering if your buddy on the 12 GS would be able to hang with you on a 500 for a day ride.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility

EvilClown screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 08:20 AM
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #3409
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
preparing for a big ride in may and just got my wolfman saddlebags in.
I was on the fence between these and the giant loop coyote but I think i'm really gonna love these bags! a little tedious to get situated but I couldn't pass up the versatility and waterproofness.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #3410
240nekkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
hola amigos-
what the hell. been lurking for awhile and thought i'd take the plunge. I bought a '12 last feb and didn't read the fine print. i missed the part where it says you get a new acl with your bike. ice and horsepower in the oregon desert didn't mix that day. but i didn't sell it, because that would just be stupid. feeling like i've been behind the learning curve with this bike up until just recently. in fact i just hit my first thousand miles a couple weeks ago. i've been playin around and just got the bars in the right spot a couple days ago and it is heaven. i've only done a few mods so far. jd tuner and a trials rear are probably the most significant. the trials is great in everything but mud. as you all know the bike is a screamer. i did readjust the lower two zones (or is it three) back to the stock setting on the programmer. the hit was a little too hard for most of my riding right now. i'm a sucker for the mid-range though. i just love how this thing comes out of the corners. put a 14-48 combo on and i'm really liking that. trials tire is great, using an mt-43. headlight sucks so i'll be picking up a bd squadron this summer and also planning on a globetrottin day tripper rack for the longer stuff. it doesn't start as easy as i think it should, so i probably need to give the tps little attention. aside from that, this thing has pegged the happy meter. i feel fortunate to have found the site, and i really appreciate all the work everyone has done to make the site and this thread work. cheers!
240nekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #3411
MJG2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
sicass rear under fender install questions

I ordered the sacass rear under fender to clean up the back end
I opted for the LED turn signals that are smaller and more flexible than OEM turn sigs. I was close to getting flush but wanted something in between stock and flush

Anyway -the parts are on the way

How do the turn sigs install- will I need to drill holes in the side of the new under fender
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
07 Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
MJG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #3412
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I was on the fence between these and the giant loop coyote but I think i'm really gonna love these bags! a little tedious to get situated but I couldn't pass up the versatility and waterproofness.

That looks good.

I ran a similar setup with Medium Rolies on the saddlebag mount and a Wolfman duffle up top on my WR last year for several days off road in Utah. It's solid and works well. Only issue I had was mounting the duffle sideways and it slipped down over the exhaust and I burned a hole in it. Your set up should eliminate any of that kind of foolishness.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #3413
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Quote:
I ordered the sacass rear under fender to clean up the back end
I opted for the LED turn signals that are smaller and more flexible than OEM turn sigs. I was close to getting flush but wanted something in between stock and flush

Anyway -the parts are on the way

How do the turn sigs install- will I need to drill holes in the side of the new under fender
yeah you'll have to drill the holes and route the wires between the sicass fender and ktm fender. you won't be disappointed though, makes for a really clean install.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #3414
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
That looks good.

I ran a similar setup with Medium Rolies on the saddlebag mount and a Wolfman duffle up top on my WR last year for several days off road in Utah. It's solid and works well. Only issue I had was mounting the duffle sideways and it slipped down over the exhaust and I burned a hole in it. Your set up should eliminate any of that kind of foolishness.
yeah I was worried a little about that too before I mounted everything. looks like its gonna work pretty good though. it sits far enough forward where I don't think the heat will be too severe. I'm gonna take a quick overnight to NC this weekend to try it all out and make sure there aren't any issues.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #3415
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:

Not bad

I've been using the small rolie mounted sideways on the seat/fender as a tool bag. It's a good size and mounted sideways doesn't get in the way too much for offroad riding. The medium rolie mounted on the seat/rear fender was a bit high.
The mounting system/straps is not too bad when you get used to it.

Your setup looks ok for touring but I think there's too much on the seat for offroad riding. I would run a small rolie in the middle with tools and pack bulky light items in the medium rolie saddlebags.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #3416
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Not bad

I've been using the small rolie mounted sideways on the seat/fender as a tool bag. It's a good size and mounted sideways doesn't get in the way too much for offroad riding. The medium rolie mounted on the seat/rear fender was a bit high.
The mounting system/straps is not too bad when you get used to it.

Your setup looks ok for touring but I think there's too much on the seat for offroad riding. I would run a small rolie in the middle with tools and pack bulky light items in the medium rolie saddlebags.
and I've thought about that but the small just isn't gonna provide enough space for the type of trip I'm talking about. I've sat on the bike and it really doesn't change my riding position a whole lot. on top of that, when offroad, I spend most of my time standing on the pegs anyway.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #3417
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Thumb

[/QUOTE]Friends getting a GS1200, hence my original gander at the gs800. Can I hang with him on a day ride of mostly back roads and dirt? [/QUOTE]
The more twisty the road, the farther behind the GS 1200 will be and in the dirt you will be long gone. BTW I'm about 13 years older than you so don't let your age deter you.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #3418
Notaduke
Migration to offroad

Oddometer: 36
Red loctite: removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgyver View Post
44 ft lbs.
red locktite
grease on splines
I haven't tried the dirttricks washer but it looks like a winner to me.
After fighting mightily with the centre stand bolt removal on my Multistrada (red loctite...only way to cleanly remove them is to heat with a torch), I would like to know how difficult it is to remove the c/s bolt if you use red locktite and 60 Nm torque? I also note that the KTM manual suggests red loctite for the rear sprocket bolts, which scares me even more. How difficult is it to remove the front and rear sprocket bolts when red locktite is used?
Notaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #3419
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Friends getting a GS1200, hence my original gander at the gs800. Can I hang with him on a day ride of mostly back roads and dirt? [/QUOTE]
The more twisty the road, the farther behind the GS 1200 will be and in the dirt you will be long gone. BTW I'm about 13 years older than you so don't let your age deter you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! You guys gave me the push I needed to finally make a decision. 500 it will be! And we're not old, we're experienced!
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #3420
hooknup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:

I have the same bike and that is what I am looking for. Are those the expedition series bags or Rolie series?

09 530 exc - great bike SOLD

1969 Honda Ct-70 (Late night yard basher)
hooknup is offline   Reply With Quote