Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #3481
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I installed a powerlet in my HDB setup this weekend...charges everything I need, this thing is awesome!

oh and here's a comparison between the stock seat foam and the Seat Concepts seat. i really didn't mind the stock seat but it did get pretty old on the long days of riding. The SC seat is a great improvement.

Do you really ride with your iPhone in that position?

I also just did the Seat Concepts cover and foam for my 530. Installed it and thought it was a little firm, but I haven't rode with it yet. I was replaying the video showing the install while I was installing it. I measured the stock foam and it is 4.5 inches wide on top, EE standard seat is about 6.5 inches wide and the SC is 8 inches wide. Definitely an improvement.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #3482
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
Do you really ride with your iPhone in that position?
yeah it rides right there if i'm commuting and need the gps. why not?
iPhone goes in a backpack pocket when i leave the blacktop though.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #3483
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Ok, 12mm should be enough if/when the need arises.

Re the switch clearances, I'll email Paul and see if he can confirm.
Paul from HDB reckons the keyed switch probably wont clear the BRP rubber submount, but he hasnt actually tried it yet.

We can see from Stiffy's post that the powerlet clears.
I assume he has the same low profile powerlet as me.

Following pic is my topclamp setup

The BD keyed switch protrudes ~38mm from the bottom of the top clamp, compared to 35mm for the powerlet.
The BD switch has a diameter of 26mm.
Cable from the BD switch goes straight down whereas the powerlet cable goes to the side.

To me, it looks like the depth (not diameter) of the BD switch could be the problem with clearing the BRP rubber submount.

Following pic of BRP rubber submount is off the net

Stiffdickerson, what do you reckon going by my pics ?

Can you tell me the measurement between the bottom of the top clamp and the top of the BRP front rubber mount ?
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #3484
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

I don't have the rubber mount (but the standard submount) and if it helps at all, I had to trim the outside of the BD switch to clear the submount. it was tight.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #3485
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I don't have the rubber mount (but the standard submount) and if it helps at all, I had to trim the outside of the BD switch to clear the submount. it was tight.
The lower bar clamps of the BRP submount look quite narrow, so I don't think they'll be an issue going by the pics.
The front rubber mounts are the worry re clearance for the BD keyed switch

The angle of the pics make it a bit hard to tell. In the above pic you'd think even the powerlet wouldnt have clearance because of the front rubber mounts. However Stiff's powerlet setup seems to clear ok
Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #3486
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Paul from HDB reckons the keyed switch probably wont clear the BRP rubber submount, but he hasnt actually tried it yet.

We can see from Stiffy's post that the powerlet clears.
I assume he has the same low profile powerlet as me.

Following pic is my topclamp setup

The BD keyed switch protrudes ~38mm from the bottom of the top clamp, compared to 35mm for the powerlet.
The BD switch has a diameter of 26mm.
Cable from the BD switch goes straight down whereas the powerlet cable goes to the side.

To me, it looks like the depth (not diameter) of the BD switch could be the problem with clearing the BRP rubber submount.

Following pic of BRP rubber submount is off the net

Stiffdickerson, what do you reckon going by my pics ?

Can you tell me the measurement between the bottom of the top clamp and the top of the BRP front rubber mount ?
I just put a higher bend bar on last night and took my mount assy apart and cleaned it. After having a closer look, the HDB top mount with the ignition switch is not going to work with the rubber mount set up. There is not enough room, if you want to move the ignition, and use one of Pauls(HDB) ignition switch brkts it will work but not with the stock ignition switch you would have to get the slimmer designed one from Sicass. I have the ignition brkt from HDB and looked into it last night on my bike and it is a no go unless I get the slimmer switch.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #3487
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
I just put a higher bend bar on last night and took my mount assy apart and cleaned it. After having a closer look, the HDB top mount with the ignition switch is not going to work with the rubber mount set up. There is not enough room, if you want to move the ignition, and use one of Pauls(HDB) ignition switch brkts it will work but not with the stock ignition switch you would have to get the slimmer designed one from Sicass. I have the ignition brkt from HDB and looked into it last night on my bike and it is a no go unless I get the slimmer switch.
Thx for the info.

Is that the low profile powerlet fitted to your topclamp ?

How much clearance does that have in relation to the BRP rubber submount ?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #3488
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Thx for the info.

Is that the low profile powerlet fitted to your topclamp ?

How much clearance does that have in relation to the BRP rubber submount ?
The low pro powerlet socket fits no problem and no clearence issues. You could use both holes for powerlets with no issues.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #3489
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't get it, my bike eats the low beam in the headlight in about 10 miles of street. Have gone through the original bulb and two after markets, vibration, voltage spikes, don't know. Kind of sucks to need to buy a $400 squadron to have a reliable light.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #3490
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Cushioning and Anti vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
The low pro powerlet socket fits no problem and no clearence issues. You could use both holes for powerlets with no issues.
I recently did a 2200km dualsport ride on the 500, highway/offroad 50/50, between 300 and 500km per day.
I found by the end of each day my throttle hand was numb from vibration and both hands were a bit sore in places.
Wheels are balanced. Using pillowtop grips.
Thats why I'm interested in the BRP rubber submount, plus I can add a scotts stabiliser later.

Would be interested to hear from those using the BRP rubber submount.

How well does it work in reducing vibration and/or provide cushioning ?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #3491
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Gearing

My 350EXC as stock had 14/45 gearing. I put a 13 on the front as a start, but I need to go up on the rear for the tight stuff. I am trying to stick with the stock length chain because my plan is to get a second set of wheels for street use and I don't want to have to swap chains as well. Just for fun, I tried a 52T rear with the axle adjuster blocks flipped to give me more forward adjustment, but the chain was way short. Seat of the pants estimate seems to me a 48T would would work. But, I would sure like to hear from someone who knows for sure before I drop any more cash. Yes, I bought a brand new 52T KTM stealth (Supersprox) sprocket just to see if it would fit, since the XC-W has 13/52 stock. No, I am not very smart

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #3492
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
My 350EXC as stock had 14/45 gearing. I put a 13 on the front as a start, but I need to go up on the rear for the tight stuff. I am trying to stick with the stock length chain because my plan is to get a second set of wheels for street use and I don't want to have to swap chains as well. Just for fun, I tried a 52T rear with the axle adjuster blocks flipped to give me more forward adjustment, but the chain was way short. Seat of the pants estimate seems to me a 48T would would work. But, I would sure like to hear from someone who knows for sure before I drop any more cash. Yes, I bought a brand new 52T KTM stealth (Supersprox) sprocket just to see if it would fit, since the XC-W has 13/52 stock. No, I am not very smart

I run a 13/48 on a 350 and it works great. You will be happy with that combo.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #3493
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I run a 13/48 on a 350 and it works great. You will be happy with that combo.
Just to be clear, that is with the stock chain, right? Thanks!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #3494
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 936
Yes, stock chain.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #3495
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
interested in selling that 52T stealth?