Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #4036
mwjp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
if it snaps its to high if it doesnt leak your good.
That's similar to the method I usually use of tightening till it strips then back off a quarter turn. It does get a but expensive after a while though and I decided to invest in a torque wrench...
mwjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #4037
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Film in air boot.

Every time I clean my air filter I notice a little bit of an oily film inside my air boot. Is that oil from my air filter or something else? If you wipe it with a Kleenex it looks brown. I've been using No Toil oil. Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this.
Wentjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #4038
Capp
Resident

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Every time I clean my air filter I notice a little bit of an oily film inside my air boot. Is that oil from my air filter or something else? If you wipe it with a Kleenex it looks brown. I've been using No Toil oil. Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this.

Probably a little engine oil coming from the breather tube.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #4039
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Went - what rear tire are you running out in CO. I have a 10 day CO trip planned for next month and want to add a new rear before I head west. I know what I run in the florida sand (non dot mx51) will not be best for CO trails.

Thanks, COLE.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #4040
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Went - what rear tire are you running out in CO. I have a 10 day CO trip planned for next month and want to add a new rear before I head west. I know what I run in the florida sand (non dot mx51) will not be best for CO trails.

Thanks, COLE.

Pirelli MT43

Fuhgeddaboudit.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #4041
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Thanks and yea have seen a bunch of those and the folks in NC run em with great results but......... for 10 days I would prefer some type of knob like a MT16 or or 606 that I can run the rest of the summer back east. So I should edit my question - what type of rear knobs are popular out there?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #4042
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 823

Yea, you better not run these on the east coast! You might experience incredible traction, stable on road manners and long life!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #4043
mmjsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
If your set on a knobbie, I would recommend a D606 for the rear. (Not the front). They can get over 1000 miles of mixed riding and they do pretty well off road. I loved mine. For the best performance, I would recommend the stock Maxxis Enduro IT. But you'll be lucky to get 500 miles. 350-400 miles, and mine was done. But it had awesome traction and performance.
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #4044
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjsport View Post
If your set on a knobbie, I would recommend a D606 for the rear. (Not the front). They can get over 1000 miles of mixed riding and they do pretty well off road. I loved mine. For the best performance, I would recommend the stock Maxxis Enduro IT. But you'll be lucky to get 500 miles. 350-400 miles, and mine was done. But it had awesome traction and performance.
What do you recommend as a replacement for the front? I agree with your assessment on the D606.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #4045
mmjsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
What do you recommend as a replacement for the front? I agree with your assessment on the D606.
The stock Maxxis is a great choice for the front. They last around 1200-1500 miles of mixed riding and they have great traction off road. I hear the Pirelli Scorpion is awesome and it's DOT. They will last around the same as the stock front and have similar performance.
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #4046
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Thanks fellas, I ran a 606 on my 640e. So have had some experience with em.

And the MX51 on the 500 when new. But now it's on it's last legs - Dirty Beaver DS ride up in Murphy NC last month did it in.

I figured a tigher patern would be better in the hard pack,root and rocks? But it kicks butay in the soft stuff (sand) down here at the beach.

Now I did run a MT 16 on my old XT but that was back in the 80's so can't remember it much. Ya know 80's and all .

If I wasn't due I wouldn't worry about but since I am ready for a new I figured I'd ask the CO locals for thier take.

Colemanfu screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 02:29 PM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #4047
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG2 View Post
does sound like fuel, but its strange that you cycle things and it starts
have a look at fuel pump relay -check for corrsion in connector -and tap on it gently with bike running -also -I recall someone had a bike cranking over while parked in garage -found corosion in harness plug behind headlight -I supposed you could too and possible opposite effect
these bikes have a roll over sensor -never say problem on one yet- but some street bikes have them and cause owners fits to find problem cutting out. I think the rollover sensor is under the ECU -maybe tap around it and look at plug for any corosion- just a few ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtToTar View Post
I have a '12 500 exc and it has an intermittent stall/die problem. This isn't a flame out stall. It just stops running at any RPM or speed. It has happened at 65 mph in 6th on pavement and occurs about 2 times every 100 miles. When it stalls it typically will not restart unless I turn the key off and back on or push and release the kill button.

When it stalled at 65 mph I let it compression slow down to about 30 with no luck of it starting while rolling in gear. Before slowing to a stop I pushed the kill button. As soon as I released the button it fired back up. Same situation every time. It dies and won't start until I cycle the key or kill button. It seems like something in the electronics is reset when turning the power off and on.

I have replaced the key assembly and the kill switch. All smog has been removed. The fuel filters have been replaced. The bike runs great and never hesitates anywhere in the rpm range so I don't think it's fuel filter or injectors. I took it to KTM a couple weeks ago and it had a "crank position" error when hooked up to the computer. They cleared the error and recommended a new pulser coil. This was installed but did not help.

I do have the JD Tuner installed and will be removing it to rule it out. I'm somewhat at a loss not knowing how the JD Tuner or stock electronics work.

Any help would be much appreciated. The main symptom is bike intermittently dies while riding and will not restart unless power is cycled off and then on.
This is going to sound just too basic, too easy ... but I would try swapping out your kill button.
Or at a minimum, checking for corrosion and possible shorting.

As always ... check the easy stuff first!

Best of luck, sir. E-Ticket

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #4048
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Thanks and yea have seen a bunch of those and the folks in NC run em with great results but......... for 10 days I would prefer some type of knob like a MT16 or or 606 that I can run the rest of the summer back east. So I should edit my question - what type of rear knobs are popular out there?

Go with the Motoz Enduro I/T DOT or non DOT. Just my opinion but if you want a good Long lasting, tough tire that is just as predictable as the mx 51 you will like the Motoz. If there are any available. try brap.com and Phat performance. I usually buy 3 at a time cause they are limited to stock from Australia. I Just put 1400 miles on a brand new one thru mexico and still have 2/3rds left. Awsome tires but JMHO. I run the matching tire on the frt ( which is also very good)but actually liked the Motoz x circuit tire up front better. And they are DOT.

frt tire

Stifdickerson2006 screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 05:29 PM Reason: added frt tire info
Stifdickerson2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #4049
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
TPS voltage

I checked my TPS voltage settings using a Suzuki TPS testing pigtail. Part number 1033294 at Bike Bandit. You basically pull out your TPS sensor wire and plug this in between the two stock plugs, then plug your voltmeter into the left over pigtails. Worked a charm. Mine came from the factory reading .590, a bit too low . People have said to adjust it to .601 so after a bit of fiddling I got it to read .602 . Fired it up and the throttle response was a definite improvement. I had been complaining about the FI not being responsive enough, despite my EU mapping, desmog, etc. This one mod has solved my issues in that regard.

It's a delicate adjustment requiring some patience to get the adjustment set correctly but in terms of technical competence a monkey could do it. I also noticed the reading would drop a couple thousandths once the bike was running versus just the ignition on.

Hope this helps others.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #4050
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:

Thanks, COLE.
Cole, I run the Maxxis Desert IT, holds up really well in the rocks. Also like the Pirelli Scorpion XC. Hit me up if you want to do some riding, I'd be glad to show you around.
Wentjo is online now   Reply With Quote