Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #4126
boostracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
He's saying the wires would've been connected to a kill switch if the bike had been built as a XCW instead of an EXC, (no ignition switch on an XCW).
boostracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #4127
Schlammaas
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Radiator protection

Hi guys,

Wich radiator guard / protector do you prefere? In my case especially when your bike crashes to one side slowly...trail...

Thx!!
Schlammaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #4128
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Has anyone gotten a feeling for the longevity of the new motor yet in a dual sport setting? If my XR is not up to speed for my TAT trip this summer, i'm thinking about picking up a '13 500 exc, tossing on the big acerbis tank and some proper armor and hitting the trail.

Would I have to do a rebuild in Moab? :)

I was reading through the thread and found some info about the 2013 injector being in a different origination and maybe leading to injector issues.

Anything else I would need to be aware of?

thanks guys.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #4129
zig650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Had the same question, so I asked my friend who owns a KTM dealership and sponsors several local racers including his son. He showed me the piston from a race bike that was in for prep and after 118 hours of riding/racing the piston looks brand new other than normal carbon and the cylinder still had the cross hatch. So yes you'll be fine the new EXC's were designed to be ridin at high RPM's, in fact they don't start making power until 8-10 thousand rpms
zig650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #4130
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlammaas View Post
Hi guys,

Wich radiator guard / protector do you prefere? In my case especially when your bike crashes to one side slowly...trail...

Thx!!
Well, they all have their issues, but I run a Flatlands, but I wouldn't recommend it. Cracked it on a slow speed tip over. It's still useable, but wish it had held up better. Bent and cracked. d'oh. Just don't crash so much haha
Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #4131
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig650 View Post
Had the same question, so I asked my friend who owns a KTM dealership and sponsors several local racers including his son. He showed me the piston from a race bike that was in for prep and after 118 hours of riding/racing the piston looks brand new other than normal carbon and the cylinder still had the cross hatch. So yes you'll be fine the new EXC's were designed to be ridin at high RPM's, in fact they don't start making power until 8-10 thousand rpms
Yea thats a little different then what i was thinking. I was more thinking 4-5,000 miles in a matter of 30 days a pretty huge number of hours. Rather low RPMs.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #4132
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsandowns View Post
What are they for ???

Many thanks, but I remain confused, and that probably says a lot about my lack of electrical expertise. It seems to me that you believe the wires come from the EFI unit, but then you suggest they go to the kill switch on USA models, of which mine is one. What is the purpose of these connections if they are "open" ? And what would you connect them to ? I guess I would have thought that they are for some sort of accessory but that would contradict your impression. What am I missing? Thanks, again.
I got my information directly from the wiring diagrams in the service manual. The 2 connectors are both connected to the wire coming out of the ECU. Take a look at this post to see the wiring diagram..... http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3931

Look for connector x43.

The probable answer to your question is that all the bikes use the same wiring harness.
Edit: The USA EXC uses the key ignition instead of a kill switch. The other switch on the handlebar is called an emergency shut off switch. It shuts off the motor but leaves the lights on.

Bengt Phorks screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 11:00 PM
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #4133
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Yea thats a little different then what i was thinking. I was more thinking 4-5,000 miles in a matter of 30 days a pretty huge number of hours. Rather low RPMs.
6400 miles and 250 hrs. It just keeps going.... I just cleaned the injector because the bike started missing due to some bad/old gas at a boondocks gas station.
Did you know that there is a filter in the injector besides the one in the fuel line?
If your bike starts missing at random times it is a partially clogged injector causing it. Utube is your friend for cleaning it.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #4134
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Changed chain slider

Thanks for the replies on the slider change. I changed mine yesterday and it was cake. Just wanted to reply with a few observations.
My bike has 2000mi and I put a 15T countershaft sprocket on recently. I removed the master link and front sprocket, good thing because master link was dry and starting to bind from lack of lube. I do think the job could be done without removing the chain, but getting the sprocket out of the way sure gives much more room to work, also I like to keep moly paste on the splines.
Also noticed that all slider wear was on the top and the bottom of the slider looked new. I was happy about that because my Yamaha wears out the bottom of the slider and the top looks fine - much harder to see.
I used TM designs slider - they claim much longer life - I hope so.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #4135
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
6400 miles and 250 hrs. It just keeps going.... I just cleaned the injector because the bike started missing due to some bad/old gas at a boondocks gas station.
Did you know that there is a filter in the injector besides the one in the fuel line?
If your bike starts missing at random times it is a partially clogged injector causing it. Utube is your friend for cleaning it.
This is exactly what i was looking for ;)

Great news. Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #4136
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thx!!
Bullet Proof Designs! Especially in orange.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #4137
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Bullet Proof Designs! Especially in orange.
+1 Get black and pay extra for the KTM logo. It adds 5 hp.
1 radiator replacement ($250) will pay for the guards.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #4138
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I use KTM factory guards, mostly on Chip Munn's recommendation. So far so good. I did notice they interfere with the turning radius. The plastic guards are easy to remove and clean.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #4139
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thx!!
Same as above bullet proof. Have them on 3 of my bikes.
FYI my buddy cheaped out and got the wrap around style that require you to Rome rad to get them on. He fell on some rocks and bent the guards and the rad. Now he has bullet proof. Not saying the bullet proof would have been better in his situation. But he apparently did.

Sent with this high tech chingadera!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #4140
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
.........Did you know that there is a filter in the injector besides the one in the fuel line?

Bengt can you describe exactly where that filter (not the one in the quick disconnect) is located?
I took apart my throttle body and peered on the parts microfiche but my blind arse can't locate it.

Thanks.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

team ftb screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 04:39 PM
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote