Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #4216
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
You will most likely have to remove the counter shaft sprocket after I took a quick look again. You shouldn't have to break the chain. Just pull the axle out a bit so the axle blocks are clear and slide the wheel all the way forward and you'll have enough chain slack to remove counter shaft and slide it back to pull the chain off the counter shaft sprocket. Pretty easy. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
I replaced the swingarm slider on my EXC without removing the counter. I did slip the chain off the rear sprocket to get it out of the way & removed the case saver. The most time consuming issue was removing the upper slider retaining screw whose head had been partially machined off with the chain. Best to do sooner rather than later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
Thanks for the replies on the slider change. I changed mine yesterday and it was cake. Just wanted to reply with a few observations.
My bike has 2000mi and I put a 15T countershaft sprocket on recently. I removed the master link and front sprocket, good thing because master link was dry and starting to bind from lack of lube. I do think the job could be done without removing the chain, but getting the sprocket out of the way sure gives much more room to work, also I like to keep moly paste on the splines.
Also noticed that all slider wear was on the top and the bottom of the slider looked new. I was happy about that because my Yamaha wears out the bottom of the slider and the top looks fine - much harder to see.
I used TM designs slider - they claim much longer life - I hope so.
Thank you very much to all for the information! When I need to change the slider I will post my experience as well
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #4217
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Just adjusted my TPS sensor using the awesome Suzuki test plug. Having the right tool for the job sure makes life easier. It was still a challenge because of the sensitivity of the adjustment. As someone else already noted, it jumps around as you tighten the locking screw. Took me plenty of tries to end up at.609. The factory setting was .592. Even tightened down, you can make the reading move a little by pushing on the sensor. Anyway, too wet to ride, but I did start it up. Came off of the enrichener faster than normal, felt like maybe it was spinning up faster when snapping the throttle. It's all seat of the pants until someone puts one on the dyno and fiddles with it.
What part of the map does the TPS sensor effect? Again, seat of the pants, feels like the effect we used to get by advancing the ignition timing a little back in the dark ages of carburetors

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #4218
vintageveloce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
TPS sensor questions

- Has anyone verified that the suzuki test leads provide the same voltage read from the computer with the KTM diagnostic tester?
- Does the idle screw setting effect the TPS reading?

Carl
vintageveloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #4219
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 96
Just a quick note to help ya'll that's worried about the subframe breaking.
On the weekend I was out for a ride and ran into a hiker that was off course and needed a ride back. Chucked him on the back and rode about 10km of off road trails without an issue. My guess he was 190-200lbs.
Good thing it was stronger than I thought.
Yes I know it's not perfect science but thought the info might help someone who does a little touring.
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #4220
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I would think the Suzuki cable would give a better reading than using a powrler supply as you are using the bike power to supply the tps. Not sure if the readings are spot on compared to the KTM tool as I do not have one but like the way mine runs at .640.

I have the euro map and fmf full system de-smogged. I really like how mine runs with this setup and 14-50 gears but am curious what the JD tuner adds?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

"There is no traffic Jam on the Extra Mile" Zig Ziglar
DiVango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #4221
vintageveloce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce View Post
- Has anyone verified that the suzuki test leads provide the same voltage read from the computer with the KTM diagnostic tester?
- Does the idle screw setting effect the TPS reading?

Carl

I ask this because on my old Husky the idle speed adjustment knob DID effect the closed position of the throttle and the TPS voltage.

Also, the spec in the manual for the TPS voltage is as read by the KTM diagnostic tester. If there is a difference reading it with a wiring harness splitter, that might have some significance?
vintageveloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #4222
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiVango View Post
I would think the Suzuki cable would give a better reading than using a powrler supply as you are using the bike power to supply the tps. Not sure if the readings are spot on compared to the KTM tool as I do not have one but like the way mine runs at .640.

I have the euro map and fmf full system de-smogged. I really like how mine runs with this setup and 14-50 gears but am curious what the JD tuner adds?

I thought .610 was the generally accepted sweet spot. Is it .640?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #4223
DiVango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Most early info said .610 but I have seen several posts referencing .640 as better. I tried .610 and still had a bit of hesitation when hitting the throttle from idle. I bumped it to .640 and the hesitation was much improved. So I am leaving at .640 but who knows, .900 may be spinal tap nirvana

"There is no traffic Jam on the Extra Mile" Zig Ziglar
DiVango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #4224
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiVango View Post
Most early info said .610 but I have seen several posts referencing .640 as better. I tried .610 and still had a bit of hesitation when hitting the throttle from idle. I bumped it to .640 and the hesitation was much improved. So I am leaving at .640 but who knows, .900 may be spinal tap nirvana

Obviously, guys ... you need to set it to .... "11."

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #4225
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,385
Took the 500 out to Colorado for some skid plate testing .

If you need a right side wing look around the steep section of Black Bear Pass.

Looks like this KTM part was only welded on the bottom? Something I read when putting the bike together a year a go but I'm old and like shiny metal. Looks like the left side is about to go as well. That's what I did to the right side on Chinaman Loop and finished it off 3 days later in Ouray.

After loosing a wing off my skid I open to plastic or carbon suggetions. Prefering the best out there to make up for my lack of rock avoiding skills . Anyone running this brand? http://www.ktm-parts.com/KTM-1850.html
Scorpion HD Skid Plate

Colemanfu screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 09:41 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #4226
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post

After loosing a wing off my skid I open to plastic or carbon suggetions. Prefering the best out there to make up for my lack of rock avoiding skills . Anyone running this brand? http://www.ktm-parts.com/KTM-1850.html
Scorpion HD Skid Plate
What brand is that one? I have a Flatland Racing aluminum unit on mine which has had some abuse.

It is hard for me to imagine using something made of plastic, fiberglass or carbon fiber on anything but a track bike. It seems like I would be buying a new one every year after dragging the bike over roots and rocks. Kind of like the annual pipe straightening schedule I had going on my old KTM 200 EXC.
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #4227
goat311
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Laugh So Much info

What the hell am I supposed to do with my free time now that I have finished this thread, Ride? So much info Loved it.

I have 4 hours on my 13' 500exc. Traded up from my trusty 525.

I have a few questions:

New to SF bay area looking for folks to ride with on the weekends. Been to Metcalf and Hollister a bunch I have raced the VCGP the last couple of years and it beat the hell out of me.

Is there a shop that will load the euro map for me around here?

Anybody close have the TPS tool? I am running the stock setting and dont have any issues but if it is the hip thing to do I should give a shot right?
goat311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #4228
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post

If you need a right side wing look around the steep section of Black Bear Pass.

Looks like this KTM part was only welded on the bottom? Something I read when putting the bike together a year a go but I'm old and like shiny metal. Looks like the left side is about to go as well. That's what I did to the right side on Chinaman Loop and finished it off 3 days later in Ouray.

Scorpion HD Skid Plate
Blatant advert...

We fab & sell these. ...

Available here ...

http://www.globetrottin.com/Skid-pla...-XCW_p_23.html

They work & you will never have that happen again. Plus they protect the clutch & rotor covers.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #4229
mcg
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm about to desmog the bike. to plug the hole (with a M12 X 20mm bolt) for the auxiliary air on the head, which type of fastener should I use ? basically what material bolt ? Stainless Steel, alum, or oxide steel ?
mcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #4230
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
If you look at the parts breakdown for the 500 XCW, you will find the proper hardware listed to fit into the holes on your 500 EXC. I just ordered them at the same time I ordered all my spare parts. The breakdown may even tell you what size the screws are.
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote