Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #4261
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzu View Post
was wondering what anyone thought about the 500exc starter after seeing this?
not sure myself.
The 4stroke starters run all gears in the engine oil. This is only applickable to the 2smokers.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #4262
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
And the starters are mounted in the correct plane relative to the crank on the four strokes keeping them from having the same issues as the poorly designed KTM two stroke starters. Thankfully.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

team ftb screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 08:29 AM
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #4263
dzu
Outstanding

Oddometer: 33
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
And the starters are mounted in the correct plane relative to the crank on the four strokes keeping them from having the same issues as the poorly designed KTM two stroke starters. Thankfully.
Good to know. Thanks for the help. Also thanks to EVERYONE in this forum for all the great info. The people who make this forum are a great bunch. Many have helped me on my exc and may never know how appreciated all the knowledge you shared was. I am shocked how this info catches you up to speed on getting your bikes lose ends tied up and making us safe on the bike. Major Props to all here! EXC RULES.
dzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #4264
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
On the starter issue, about every 4th or 5th start, the starter just can't quite get the torque to turn the motor over, and I have to hit the button again and it turns over. I chalked it up to the abuse the starter and battery took at the dealer's hands when new. I watched them just run the starter seemingly forever to try and get it started cold. I don't want to re-hash an old post, but I figured out that the only way it will start cold (if it doesn't light off right away), is to turn the ignition off then on, which lets the fuel pump come back on get back to full pressure. Then it is instant start. Anyway, back to the point. I saw the post I copied below on a local GA offroad forum. It sounds reasonable, and I am going to give it a try. Looking at the size of the +12V cable to the starter, that's a lot of current to make its way back through the ground path.
I've been through the starter blues with my 300 since I bought it in 2008 and now have 480 hours logged, but I finally solved it. It got progressively worse over the years in spite of a brief period of improvement with the Shorai battery when it would even start cold. 2 months ago I rebuilt the starter motor as the brushes were almost gone but still no improvement.
Next, I ran a ground wire directly from the starter motor mount to the negative terminal on the battery and now it starts even cold. Curious, I removed the wire and sanded the back of the motor mount and the case where it mounts to get better contact. Better but not as good as the wire. Next I cleaned the frame where the sub-frame mounts for better contact. Slight improvement, still not as good as the wire. It seems when the bikes are new the ground circuit is good, but with age deteriorates. Also, the starter motor mounts to the magnesium ignition cover which is insulated by a gasket, mounted to the engine case which grounds to the frame. Not a direct path.
Once I determined the wire worked fantastic, I had my friendly local KTM dealer order a battery cable same as the one that runs from the positive battery terminal to the starter motor post.
I've been riding it for 2 months now with no failure. It starts instantly cold or hot.
Incidentally, the Shorai Is 9 months old and was replaced once by warranty. I will probably try Ballistic when I need another.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #4265
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Found this interesting video on the making of a KTM motorcycle.

http://youtu.be/bG_qY687toA

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #4266
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Need some quick help on my Highway Dirt Biker setup! I am trying to mount the KTM computer protector to the top clamp. They sent both short and long screws to mount the protector to the clamp. It appears you would use the short screws to mount the protector on top of the clamp, and the longer screws to mount it under the edge. The problem is that the tapped holes that go all the way through the top clamp are not quite finished properly right at the bottom, so I can't get the long screw through to mount the protector underneath, which is where I want it. I just want to be 100% sure I am looking at this correctly. I don't have the right size metric tap, so I am going to have to go get one tomorrow, assuming I am on the right track here.
TIA
I don't think the protector is intended to mount underneath the clamp. The options with longer screws and spacers is for top mounting as well.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #4267
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,163
update

It's been a while since I've posted anything in this thread, and I know I need to fix some of my previous pictures......

Here are some of my pics from my Setup

Here is the LINK if you want to browse through the entire album.

My custom mounts for my TT headlight

HDB and the TT gauge

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #4268
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
I don't think the protector is intended to mount underneath the clamp. The options with longer screws and spacers is for top mounting as well.
I think it has to mount below if you have the keyswitch relocation tab mounted on top of the handlebar clamp. I think you would have interference issues with the tabs with the indicator lights in them. I mounted mine below. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had to tap out those holes to get the screws to go all the way thru. The threads were only an issue down near the bottom of the holes.

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #4269
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
As Master Marie noted, it is designed to fit either on top or on the bottom. The animation of the HDB website eventually goes through both options. The way the bottom of the top clamp is machined, it is too perfect a fit to be a coincidence. In their typically superlative customer service, HDB is sending me out a prototype headlight relocation kit

PS. You guys with all the pointy things sticking up from your top clamp give me the heebie-jeebies! I have crashed hard enough to whack my head against the top of the handlebar mounts. I had two bruises on my forehead from the two dials on my Scott's damper; my goggles helped a little. That's why I always sub mount now.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #4270
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:

PS. You guys with all the pointy things sticking up from your top clamp give me the heebie-jeebies! I have crashed hard enough to whack my head against the top of the handlebar mounts. I had two bruises on my forehead from the two dials on my Scott's damper; my goggles helped a little. That's why I always sub mount now.

They are there for the challenge......ya know, don't crash or else....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #4271
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,110
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the us exc? The euro's don't come with an ignition switch or key, I'd like to put a switch on mine somewhere.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #4272
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Need some quick help on my Highway Dirt Biker setup! I am trying to mount the KTM computer protector to the top clamp. They sent both short and long screws to mount the protector to the clamp. It appears you would use the short screws to mount the protector on top of the clamp, and the longer screws to mount it under the edge. The problem is that the tapped holes that go all the way through the top clamp are not quite finished properly right at the bottom, so I can't get the long screw through to mount the protector underneath, which is where I want it. I just want to be 100% sure I am looking at this correctly. I don't have the right size metric tap, so I am going to have to go get one tomorrow, assuming I am on the right track here.
TIA
I gave up trying to mount it from the bottom and just mounted it from the top. It was a paint to get the hand-guard mounts to tighten with a bottom mount, but by mounting it from the top it was just fine. Sits a little higher than the number plate, but no worries.

The Baja Designs headlight is awesome - but no low beam. Wondering if anyone runs it "on" the street and have any problems?
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #4273
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
I gave up trying to mount it from the bottom and just mounted it from the top. It was a paint to get the hand-guard mounts to tighten with a bottom mount, but by mounting it from the top it was just fine. Sits a little higher than the number plate, but no worries.

The Baja Designs headlight is awesome - but no low beam. Wondering if anyone runs it "on" the street and have any problems?
No problems for me but I use the "dimmer" switch. I usually keep my "Low beam" at 40% or so. It only takes a quick switch of the High beam to draw attention to yourself for someone carelessly pulling out in front of you. A friend of mine and I ran some easy tests to make sure we weren't going to be "blinding" anyone coming the opposite way. The lights, while bright, are not as obtrusive as cars bright white low beams. With this being said it is illegal to ride with LED's on California roadways. Please ride responsibly.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #4274
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the us exc? The euro's don't come with an ignition switch or key, I'd like to put a switch on mine somewhere.
The XC-W is also wired like the euro models and doesn't have an ignition switch.
Here is some wiring info for an EXC from a previous post: wiring diagram ADVrider - View Single Post - 2012 ktm 500 exc
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3931

Ignition Key switch is S10. The connector GT/6 controls the way the bike starts and runs.

Connectors are here... http://www.corsa-technic.com/categor...category_id=53
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/110_Connectors/110_connectors.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3980html
You could look through the 500 XC-W thread for some ideas... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773406
Have fun!

Bengt Phorks screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 09:38 PM
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #4275
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
BD and Sicass sell a keyed switch. It comes with the hardware to splice onto the kill switch wires.
So your bike will still turn over on the electric start but wont fire with the keyed switch off.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=128001
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote