Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #4276
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
No problems for me but I use the "dimmer" switch. I usually keep my "Low beam" at 40% or so. It only takes a quick switch of the High beam to draw attention to yourself for someone carelessly pulling out in front of you. A friend of mine and I ran some easy tests to make sure we weren't going to be "blinding" anyone coming the opposite way. The lights, while bright, are not as obtrusive as cars bright white low beams. With this being said it is illegal to ride with LED's on California roadways. Please ride responsibly.
I ended up running the OEM lens with 45 halogen for low beam, to stay sort of legal in urban areas, and an LED 60 (3500 lumens) for high beam
Mounted the LED 60 under the handlebar next to the mask.

http://sicassracing.com/store/bulbs/...m_upgrade_bulb

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...off/Detail.bok
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #4277
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,108
Thanks, that makes sense as to how switching is done. Just stopping the bike from starting alone is not enough, starter motor can not turn over. So exc setup it is.

I will need full drawings to get the whole picture. Did you take these pictures off fron the dealer service cd? I probably need to get that, I miss having a service manual with the bike!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #4278
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
I ended up running the OEM lens with 45 halogen for low beam, to stay sort of legal in urban areas, and an LED 60 (3500 lumens) for high beam
Mounted the LED 60 under the handlebar next to the mask.

http://sicassracing.com/store/bulbs/...m_upgrade_bulb

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...off/Detail.bok
How about a pix of your flood light setup?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #4279
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Here is the light that I put in my bike... KTM 500 EXC with ADVmonster Model 60 light http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3387
Here is a good thread on auxiliary lighting...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...07184&page=226
Here is what another rider did for his bike...
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=34
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #4280
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Mines the 500xcw so its only got an on/off toggle for the headlight.

I added a light relay and some HDB switches . One for a horn and the other to switch the relay to HB.

The OEM lens has the Sicass 45W halogen bulb and I use that for low beam
HB is the LED 60 (3500 lumens) mounted below the handlebar

For now, I've just used a bit of stainless flat to attach the LED 60 to the HDB mount. It should be able to swivel back if something hits it.
There's also a protective self adhesive lens cover on the LED.

The main reason I located the LED 60 to the side of the mask, and not in the mask, is so the mudguard doesnt cast a 2 meter shadow directly in front of the wheel.
I kept the OEM with halogen for low beam as I think it works better than the LED dimmed for urban areas, mainly because it focuses the light where you want it.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #4281
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
I was going through OEM bulbs like a mad man. Keep a few with your riding gear
Dirty in all is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #4282
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
I was going through OEM bulbs like a mad man. Keep a few with your riding gear
I use http://sicassracing.com/store/bulbs/...m_upgrade_bulb in the OEM lens
No problems after 250hrs
Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #4283
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
+1 on LED lights having an unlit blind spot directly in front of the fender. My Baja Design Squadron has the exact same blind spot as Bill1960 mentioned with his LED in the stock headlight mask.

Bill with your LED mounted to the bars how far to the right of the fender is that blind spot now positioned?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #4284
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Anyone want to loan/rent/sell their Suzuki TPS thingy? Seems like a tool that we could share around as it is likely one time use for most folks.

At any rate, I'd like to adjust my TPS.

Dave
Old 07-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #4285
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
+1 on LED lights having an unlit blind spot directly in front of the fender. My Baja Design Squadron has the exact same blind spot as Bill1960 mentioned with his LED in the stock headlight mask.

Bill with your LED mounted to the bars how far to the right of the fender is that blind spot now positioned?
FTB
I'll take some pics at night then post them up in the next day or two
Old 07-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #4286
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I bought the baja designs squadron for my EXC, great light! Anyway, I ordered the dimmer box from them as well so it wouldn't be so bright on the road. I thought it was suppose to be plug and play on the exc's, but the low beam still doesn't turn on. Anybody else done this tco theirs yet?
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #4287
240nekkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
I bought the baja designs squadron for my EXC, great light! Anyway, I ordered the dimmer box from them as well so it wouldn't be so bright on the road. I thought it was suppose to be plug and play on the exc's, but the low beam still doesn't turn on. Anybody else done this tco theirs yet?

I have the same setup. Did you adjust the low beam using the key fob?
240nekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #4288
Lindy Hopper
Need more cowbells?

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
In step a we removed the fuel vapor canister. Step b will remove the auxiliary air circuit.

We need to make a plug for the hole in the cylinder. For that we need a 12 mm x 1.75 bolt about .80 in (20 mm) long. I found a slightly longer bolt at my Ace Hardware & cut it to the noted length. If you do need to cut it, be sure to deburr the end cleanly so as to not damage the threads in the head. It looks like this...

Assemble the nut onto the bolt & insert the copper washer onto the bolt. A little grease will hold it all in place...

Insert the assembly into the head approximately .2 inch (5 mm). Jamb the nut up tight to the head against the washer carefully so as to not damage the threads or seal...

You have now completed step b.

Your pile of parts from step a & b should look like this...

My handy postal scale says this amounts to 1 lb 4 oz.

Smile & go for a ride.
I followed Harcus's steps to desmogging but ran into a snag when I got to the part about plugging the hold on the side of the cylinder. I bought an M12-1.75 x x 25 bolt from Lowes but when I go to thread the bolt in I find that the threads don't match. The threads on the bolt were coarser than the engine. Did the wrong bolt come in the package or is there something different about my bike (2013').

Also, noticed that the material of the nut and threaded portion of the valve is Aluminum and this portion is bolted into the engine. Is there any need to be concerned about material choice or the replacement bolt and the use of antisieze? I've heard of using antisieze on sparkplugs because of the heat but I didn't know if that would apply here.
Lindy Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #4289
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Mines the 500xcw so its only got an on/off toggle for the headlight.

I added a light relay and some HDB switches . One for a horn and the other to switch the relay to HB.

The OEM lens has the Sicass 45W halogen bulb and I use that for low beam
HB is the LED 60 (3500 lumens) mounted below the handlebar

For now, I've just used a bit of stainless flat to attach the LED 60 to the HDB mount. It should be able to swivel back if something hits it.
There's also a protective self adhesive lens cover on the LED.

The main reason I located the LED 60 to the side of the mask, and not in the mask, is so the mudguard doesnt cast a 2 meter shadow directly in front of the wheel.
I kept the OEM with halogen for low beam as I think it works better than the LED dimmed for urban areas, mainly because it focuses the light where you want it.

Excellent idea on the mounting location. I think I'll have to take your idea and see if I can make it a tab beefier, by adding two mounting straps per light. Aside from the zip tie, I'll drill a hole through the handguard (small hole) to help hold the straps in position.....

Great idea.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #4290
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Excellent idea on the mounting location. I think I'll have to take your idea and see if I can make it a tab beefier, by adding two mounting straps per light. Aside from the zip tie, I'll drill a hole through the handguard (small hole) to help hold the straps in position.....

Great idea.
If you drill the HDB guard, the mounting becomes very simple. eg, one U shaped bracket bolted to the guard would be enough.