Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #4291
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
If you drill the HDB guard, the mounting becomes very simple. eg, one U shaped bracket bolted to the guard would be enough.
Yes, but.....

The HDB guards are curved. If I mounted it solidly to the guard, the light would be pointing off to the left. I'd have to put some kind of leveler or something to account for the curve in the HDB guard.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #4292
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Yes, but.....

The HDB guards are curved. If I mounted it solidly to the guard, the light would be pointing off to the left. I'd have to put some kind of leveler or something to account for the curve in the HDB guard.
with a U bracket, you could just offset the holes so the light points straight ahead.
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #4293
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
with a U bracket, you could just offset the holes so the light points straight ahead.

Any pics of this idea?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #4294
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Any pics of this idea?
No pics as it was just a suggestion if you're going to drill the HDB guards.

I'm still trying to think of a better mount that doesnt require drilling new holes in the HDB guards, or adds too much weight.
However, I'm happy with the current position of the LED.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #4295
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the us exc? The euro's don't come with an ignition switch or key, I'd like to put a switch on mine somewhere.
It's in the shop manual. If you don't have one, PM me. I will send it to u.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #4296
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy Hopper View Post
I followed Harcus's steps to desmogging but ran into a snag when I got to the part about plugging the hold on the side of the cylinder. I bought an M12-1.75 x x 25 bolt from Lowes but when I go to thread the bolt in I find that the threads don't match. The threads on the bolt were coarser than the engine. Did the wrong bolt come in the package or is there something different about my bike (2013').

Also, noticed that the material of the nut and threaded portion of the valve is Aluminum and this portion is bolted into the engine. Is there any need to be concerned about material choice or the replacement bolt and the use of antisieze? I've heard of using antisieze on sparkplugs because of the heat but I didn't know if that would apply here.
The problem is there was a typo (or maybe a braino) - the threads are 12 x 1.5. Sorry about the confusion.

I would not worry about antisieze but I ALWAYS lube the male part with any grease. This part will not be removed / replaced frequently like a spark plug hence no concern on the antisieze.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 07-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #4297
Upsandowns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Oil Change Frequency

I'm leaving for Colorado next week to ride for about 10-12 days and I'm curious to know your thoughts on the need to change the oil on my 2012 EXC500(which I'm trailering out) during the trip. I'm starting with fresh oil, filters, etc., and know a change is recommended every 10-15 hours and I'll certainly exceed that in 3 or 4 days. How long can I go without a change and without causing damage to the bike. I'm almost 70 and I am not going to be overly aggressive or running extremely hard but I will be over 8,000 feet all of the time and climbing to over 12,000 with some regularity. If I had to guess, I'd estimate that my total riding time will be in the 40 - 50 hour range total, but maybe less than 800 miles. Many thanks for your insight on this. I'm just not accustomed to such frequent changes and even my 690 Enduro only required a change every 2000 miles or so and I want to do the right thing by this EXC.
Upsandowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #4298
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsandowns View Post
I'm leaving for Colorado next week to ride for about 10-12 days and I'm curious to know your thoughts on the need to change the oil on my 2012 EXC500(which I'm trailering out) during the trip. I'm starting with fresh oil, filters, etc., and know a change is recommended every 10-15 hours and I'll certainly exceed that in 3 or 4 days. How long can I go without a change and without causing damage to the bike. I'm almost 70 and I am not going to be overly aggressive or running extremely hard but I will be over 8,000 feet all of the time and climbing to over 12,000 with some regularity. If I had to guess, I'd estimate that my total riding time will be in the 40 - 50 hour range total, but maybe less than 800 miles. Many thanks for your insight on this. I'm just not accustomed to such frequent changes and even my 690 Enduro only required a change every 2000 miles or so and I want to do the right thing by this EXC.
Use good syn oil and change halfway through ride. I did 1k miles in 5 days through death valley and Mojave in May and never changed oil. Only added a little on the first day. Elevation 1500-9200 ft. You could probably get away with just topping it up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #4299
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsandowns View Post
I have gone up to 25 hours between oil changes but that included street riding. Normally I change the oil at 15 hours. You probably ride easy like I do so most of the time the engine will be at low rpms and not under great stress. If you aren't too hard on the clutch the oil will stay pretty clean. One oil change halfway through the ride will be enough.
I use Mobile 1 15-50 synthetic. You can get it at Walmart.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #4300
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
+1 on LED lights having an unlit blind spot directly in front of the fender. My Baja Design Squadron has the exact same blind spot as Bill1960 mentioned with his LED in the stock headlight mask.

Bill with your LED mounted to the bars how far to the right of the fender is that blind spot now positioned?
Justin
My phone pics not that great, but I hope you get the general idea.

45W Halogen Bulb in the OEM lens

You can see the shadow cast by the front mud guard.

Unfortunately I didn't take pics of the LED in the OEM mask, but the shadow from the front mud guard was similar, ~2 meters. With ones eyes adjusting to the brighter LED output, the shadow from the guard seemed darker, effectively a blind spot.

LED 60 mounted under the handle bar to the immediate left of the mask, as shown in previous post.

Shadow from the mud guard now shorter and to the left of the front wheel.

For comparison, maybe you can take a pic of the light throw from your mask mounted BD squadron ?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #4301
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
Use good syn oil and change halfway through ride. I did 1k miles in 5 days through death valley and Mojave in May and never changed oil. Only added a little on the first day. Elevation 1500-9200 ft. You could probably get away with just topping it up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I agree. You'll be fine doing 800 easy miles and just checking your level. I run full syn and have never had a problem with that distance for the bike.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #4302
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
BD Squadron blind spot

Bill I was at first concerned with the light vulnerability in your location however the reduction in the blind spot with your mounting locations is an immense improvement.

Here is the Baja Designs Squadron LED mounted in the stock KTM 500 mask and adjusted as low as the LED mounts can be positioned. Picture was taken with no background lights in my pitch black work space, no flash and the LED on high. Dimmer has not been installed yet for a low beam pic but I don't see that having any effect on the blind spot. The small lit spot in the middle of the blind spot is not there in reality, no idea what causes it in the pic.

The three water bottles outline the outer perimeter of the blind spot and it comes all the way back to the bike.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #4303
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
I agree. You'll be fine doing 800 easy miles and just checking your level. I run full syn and have never had a problem with that distance for the bike.
Was out there last month and went well beyond the interval change. Bike did fine but when I got home and went to work on the bike I was shocked how low I was? Like 500ml. Next time I will at least check it and add. But I'll most likely do a change. Really not a hard process. I did do an air filter change after Brecktreck. Have a great trip and hit me up if ya need any trail info/tips. Cold
Old 07-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #4304
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,771
Looking for a keyed HOT lead

Can anyone direct me to where I can hook up switched power to my GPS?

I have no manual or wiring diagram...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #4305
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Can anyone direct me to where I can hook up switched power to my GPS?

I have no manual or wiring diagram...
The keyed switch on an EXC actually controls the "power relay". Folow the wires from the switch back to find that relay. It is on the top triple clamp. Probe the wires with a DVM to find the switched wire that you can pick power from.

The switched power should be yelo-red. The white-red wire is unswitched from the battery via a fuse block at the starter relay.

Check it out. Always good to protect the new wire with a fuse or circuit breaker.