Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #4336
sevenfourate
UK Mud-Plugger......

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medpilot View Post
I wish I could give you more info on the TKC80 tires, but I haven't put that many miles on them yet. I had my first dirt outing yesterday and I could feel they didn't quite hook up as well as the stockers. It wasn't too bad however. I'd they say Continental really hit the mark when they say 30% street 70% dirt. I feel these give a lot more confidence on the road while not compromising dirt handling ability too badly. As far as pressures go, I'm running 25psi on the street and 15 on the dirt. That's just a starting point for experimentation. I may go lower in the dirt and higher on the street and see what works out.

No worries. But let us know your experiences as you get a few more miles under your belt......

If they do turn out to be a true 30/70 mix; then it will just perfect for my use. Ive tried them 'on road' on a DRZ as i said, and have done a few miles on the 500 already on tarmacadam. Pretty impressive on the road in my eyes. No supermoto - but no undue dramas either.

Where i live in the UK we dont have many places to ride. One route we typically do on a Sunday is around 70 - 100 miles depending on. And likely half of that is tarmac linking trails. Im going to start with 18 psi front / 20 ps rear for all round duties and see how i go.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #4337
sevenfourate
UK Mud-Plugger......

While im here,can anyone give me some idea of suspension settings for my 2012 (2013 model) 500 EXC ?

Bike will be used for light off-road (Green laning here in the UK) duties. Occasionally i may push it a bit, but doubt i'll be 'getting air' or anything too radical !

Im around 225lbs kitted up, and a point in the right direction regarding settings for clickers both ends, and a static sag heads-up would be awesome. Or just a point in the right direction for my first adventure
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #4338
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Check your manual. Go directly to the "comfort" settings listed, and she how you like that. I found the stock settings to be very firm. You are likely under-sprung a bit as I am on mine. But I appreciate being a bit closer to the ground, which this also provides.

Setting the rear sag is right in the manual as well. Get someone to help you with the measuring. Getting the sag right makes just as much difference in how the bike steers as it does for how it soaks up the trail.

At your weight, you will probably find that you will use all available pre-load to get the sag right. If so, you're next investment is a heavier spring. A heavier spring with much less pre-lead rides nicer than a light spring pre-squashed by the adjuster ring!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #4339
No_Good_ID
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks Medpilot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medpilot View Post

Got my tail light from ebay. Sellers name is pw-garfield. Here's the link to the ebay ad http://www.ebay.com/itm/200928437600...84.m1497.l2649

I'm very happy with how this came out. The turn signal works very well and I don't have to worry about anything breaking off. The tail light itself is a modified stock XC-W tail light. My only grip is that my blinkers blink faster because of the lower resistance from the LED's. I think that's fixable with an inline resistor. Haven't researched that yet as they only blink about twice as fast. If you go with a fender eliminator don't forget one of these. http://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchan...A#.Uf6JxRY29k8

The mirrors are from http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/ Another "must haves" for this bike.
No_Good_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #4340
sevenfourate
UK Mud-Plugger......

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
Check your manual. Go directly to the "comfort" settings listed, and she how you like that. I found the stock settings to be very firm. You are likely under-sprung a bit as I am on mine. But I appreciate being a bit closer to the ground, which this also provides.

Setting the rear sag is right in the manual as well. Get someone to help you with the measuring. Getting the sag right makes just as much difference in how the bike steers as it does for how it soaks up the trail.

At your weight, you will probably find that you will use all available pre-load to get the sag right. If so, you're next investment is a heavier spring. A heavier spring with much less pre-lead rides nicer than a light spring pre-squashed by the adjuster ring!
As you probably guessed - i didn't even imagine it would be in the manual so hadn't looked.

Doh ! (Thanks for the heads-up though David)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #4341
wvexc
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I just spent about 3-4 hours going thru this thread trying to find these 2 posts again. man, this thing is huge!

Has anyone else removed GT/6? Does anyone have a source for the pins for this connector? I would like to use the 2 positive connections to run some relays for my electronics.
Is there anyway that you could tell me within the plug what wires are jumped to let the light and fuel pump come on when the switch is turned on? my plug must have fallen off of my 2013 exc and ktm said that I would have to buy new wire harness to get it, it is not listed as a separate part, I tried to copy and magnify but I cannot make out the wire diagram
wvexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #4342
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvexc View Post
Is there anyway that you could tell me within the plug what wires are jumped to let the light and fuel pump come on when the switch is turned on? my plug must have fallen off of my 2013 exc and ktm said that I would have to buy new wire harness to get it, it is not listed as a separate part, I tried to copy and magnify but I cannot make out the wire diagram
Pin 2,4 and 5 on the harness side of the connector.

2-br
4-wt/bl
5-wt/pk

Connect all three together, look back at my original post for a pic. of the connector.

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #4343
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Lost my Acerbis skid plate in the mountains last ride....

was thinking of purchasing this one http://www.globetrottin.com/Skid-pla...-XCW_p_23.html from Globetrottin.

anybody else have a skid plate that they really like that wont go flying off? where did you buy it?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #4344
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 97
I was going to go with the Acerbis but ran in to trouble with finding one locally so I installed the Flatlands aluminum one. Great looking and good coverage. Used blue loctite in the install and all is good so far. A fair bit of rock up in my riding area in Squamish BC so I'm likely to be happy I went aluminum over plastic.

HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #4345
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvexc View Post
Here is a post of where to get replacement connectors:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3980

Here is big adv's origional post:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post19869919

Bengt Phorks screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 11:55 PM
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #4346
wvexc
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
Here is a post of where to get replacement connectors:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3980

Here is big adv's origional post:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post19869919
Thanks for the help! made a connector last night and it worked great, I will order plug to clean up, nice to have intelligent response.
wvexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #4347
mknj671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Has anyone tried stomp grip ? (I haven't ordered it yet)

When I stand, I grip the seat with my knees for flat and downhill. For flat to uphill I grip the rad scoops with my knees in the area covered by the inner tube. Btw, the tube does absolutely nothing to improve grip.

The rad scoops slope inwards towards the rear making them virtually impossible to grip with the knees when standing under acceleration .

Stompgrip sent me the following pic which illustrates the grip coverage for their 500 kit

To be honest, the only piece that would be useful to me is the one that adheres to the rear of the rad scoop. They wont split a kit but reckon I could cut other pieces in the kit to replace the rad scoop pieces as they wear out.

I'm interested to hear comments/ideas for improving grip when standing on the 500, and/or experiences with stompgrip.

Have never used it in a dirt application but I have run Stomp Grip for years on my track bikes (R6s) and it works great at allowing less movement when needed. Road racing does not wear a bike like offroad so the one piece I would be concerned about is the stomp grip staying on for the long haul with washing/mud/dirt.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #4348
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Fried Voltage regulator on my 2013

A couple weekends ago, on day two of a 2 dayer, my 500 wouldn't start. Battery was dead. This was the 3rd battery since I owned the bike. The first two were lion batteries and I assumed they were both defective as they were a few years old.
I tried to charge the battery with a buddys charger but it only gave enough to barely get the fuel pump going. I kicked it and it started but would not take throttle and ran rough so I abandoned day 2.

After getting the bike home I started it again with a voltmeter at the battery and it was charging at 16-21 volts. I removed the regulator to find a hole melted in the back of it. I called my dealer and was told KTM would replace if it was the regulator...no problem there, it's obviously the regulator judging from the 4mm hole.

On day one I noticed that the bike was stinking of sulphur in the afternoon. In retrospect it was the battery merrily boiling over from being overcharged. My dealer was great in helping out and I have another reg being sent to me. It should be noted the 500 shares the same reg with the 250, 350 and 450.
Heads up for you guys that may be going through batteries.

Garrett

garrett screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 01:39 PM
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #4349
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
stompgrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknj671 View Post
Have never used it in a dirt application but I have run Stomp Grip for years on my track bikes (R6s) and it works great at allowing less movement when needed. Road racing does not wear a bike like offroad so the one piece I would be concerned about is the stomp grip staying on for the long haul with washing/mud/dirt.
Yes, for offroad use, peeling off is the main complaint on the various product reviews.
I've ordered a 7" x 14" universal sheet as I only want it for the rear section of the rad scoops. That should give me enough for several sets.
Will report back in a few weeks once its on and tested.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #4350
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss314 View Post
Lost my Acerbis skid plate in the mountains last ride....

was thinking of purchasing this one http://www.globetrottin.com/Skid-pla...-XCW_p_23.html from Globetrottin.

anybody else have a skid plate that they really like that wont go flying off? where did you buy it?

I lost a side wing of my KTM hard parts skid on Black Bear Pass this past June. I broke the weld 3 days before on Chinaman Trail. CO is a great proving ground for skids ha.

I replaced it with a Emperor Racing deal. http://emperorracing.com/Catalog.html Much more stout welding on both top and bottom (KTM part was only welded on the bottom??). You can see in the above pix that there is zero effort to weld the top?

Here is the new deal with minimal run time. I dig the foam between the skid and frame. It's got holes, no need to remove for oil change!

One stout skid!

If I bust up this one I'm obviously doing it all wrong.

Colemanfu screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 07:57 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote