Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #4576
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
You are running your chain too tight! That will keep killing wheel bearings on the drive side.
I can appreciate how that would contribute to bearing wear.
However I'm pretty sure I don't run the chain too tight.
The OEM bearing lasted 250 hrs/10,000km with the way I adjust the chain.

The Allballs kit came with quite thin seals, 6mm thick compared to OEM 7mm thick. Imo, they didnt seal properly on the OEM wheel spacers, hence water ingression and early failure of the bearing.
Additionally, the cheap kma bearings in the Allballs kit are probably lower quality than the NSK bearings that KTM use.

I had two Allballs kit's so I'm trying another set but have ditched the 6mm seals from the kit and replaced them with 7mm thick seals.

In future I'll just order quality brands from a bearing shop, and/or go OEM when the spacers need replacing.

bill1960 screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 06:17 PM
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #4577
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,818
Need more help?

My OEM odometer stopped working. Or I should say it will not pick up anything from the wheel. I can turn it on, and it will come on when I have disconnected the wires to wheel sensor and plug them back in.

So its either the magnet or the pickup.

Question: What does the magnet look like on the outside of the wheel - the side that would go by the pick up. Mine looks like it could be broken or missing a piece.

Does this look OK?

Question: is the magnet special. If I take a regular magnet and pass it over the pickup I get nothing... does this mean the sensor is bad?

The sensor is $60 bucks where the magnet is $12

Thanks for any info

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #4578
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
My OEM odometer stopped working. Or I should say it will not pick up anything from the wheel. I can turn it on, and it will come on when I have disconnected the wires to wheel sensor and plug them back in.

So its either the magnet or the pickup.

Question: What does the magnet look like on the outside of the wheel - the side that would go by the pick up. Mine looks like it could be broken or missing a piece.

Does this look OK?

Question: is the magnet special. If I take a regular magnet and pass it over the pickup I get nothing... does this mean the sensor is bad?

The sensor is $60 bucks where the magnet is $12

Thanks for any info
The magnet looks to be all there. but i would check and make sure the magnet did not fall out of its holder kinda hard to see with your pic, i would guess its your sensor.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #4579
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
The magnet looks to be all there. but i would check and make sure the magnet did not fall out of its holder kinda hard to see with your pic, i would guess its your sensor.
Find someone nearby that has a 350 or 500 and swap the front wheel. That will tell the story. Really, a y modern KTM with a similar size brake rotor.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #4580
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
It is fairly common for the wires to break somewhere along its way from the computer to the sensor on offroad bikes using this system. Often times it is intermittent for a while as the wires come together and then are pulled apart by the flexing induced by the front suspension. I replaced a couple sensors on my 2003 200 EXC during the time I had it. I imagine there is some resistance test that can be done to the sensor but do not have any idea what the resistance should be. There should be some tho. It should not be an open circuit.

If there are plugs in the system, you can undo things and isolate out a broken wire.

Use Google to search for KTM speedometer and you will find much info good and bad...
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #4581
No_Good_ID
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medpilot View Post
It was pretty easy, and nothing gets in the way. Everything just bolted up. The only hard part, which was not hard, was tapping the handlebars. It actually makes for a much sturdier mount. There's a youtube vid of a guy installing them on this wr250 which was helpful.
Thanks for the feedback. I already ordered a pair of Cycra CRM's, but I may return them for the HDB ones...the mirrors are a big selling point for me.
No_Good_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #4582
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
I can appreciate how that would contribute to bearing wear.
However I'm pretty sure I don't run the chain too tight.
The OEM bearing lasted 250 hrs/10,000km with the way I adjust the chain.

The Allballs kit came with quite thin seals, 6mm thick compared to OEM 7mm thick. Imo, they didnt seal properly on the OEM wheel spacers, hence water ingression and early failure of the bearing.
Additionally, the cheap kma bearings in the Allballs kit are probably lower quality than the NSK bearings that KTM use.

I had two Allballs kit's so I'm trying another set but have ditched the 6mm seals from the kit and replaced them with 7mm thick seals.

In future I'll just order quality brands from a bearing shop, and/or go OEM when the spacers need replacing.
That is actually not very good mileage from a wheel bearing at all. Yes, you should always put a new seal and bearing in always. The seal is the cheap part. You must run in a lot of water also. Need to re-grease if you are not doing so and take wheels off to dry. While running up creeks is fun, it also leads to a lot of work.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #4583
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Took the 500 out for a three day ride about the bush near the Thailand/Burma border. The 500 performed quite well and a noticeable difference in flickability in comparison to my old 525.

The bike needs a few more revs than my old 525 to operate properly and is not near as stable when hitting things at speed. Not enough to be dangerous just not as settled as my 525. Reminds me of Honda CR250 handling, turns wonderful just keep an eye out on the high speed surprise hits.

Took out rebound dampening front and rear to ease the harshness over the square edged hits as it felt like it was packing down on multiple hits. This improved the suppleness and am pleased with the suspension.

Had the Kriega Overlander 30 bags mounted and they performed well enough as long as you can pack all you need for overnight trips into the pretty small bags. Though I still think the over the seat strap is a poorly designed feature.

Since I'm 5'5.5" i decided to lower the KTM suspension an inch. Its the first time I've ever lowered a bike however the 2012 and up KTM frames are just too tall for my midget arse to tackle tight enduro terrain.

I have however had my feet brushed off the pegs a few time in deep ruts and rocks, twice painfully. However the easier dabbing has kept me from toppling over numerous times. Lowering has both pro's and con's and as long as i don't break my Tibula/Fibula or foot from it getting ripped off i'll be well pleased with the lowering.

I had some issues after filling up with gasoline. It acted like the gas expanded and would blow out the vent hose. I'm guessing it is something that needs addressing in the gas cap and fuel sock I'm using. Something is not aligned correctly I'm thinking.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #4584
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That is actually not very good mileage from a wheel bearing at all.
250hrs is not much but KTM do use quite small bearings in the rear hub.

I guess most people haven't done over 200hrs on their 500's yet, but the 525 and 530's use the same sized wheel bearing as the 500.
It would be interesting to hear from owners of those bike's how many hours they got out of the OEM rear wheel bearings.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #4585
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Took the 500 out for a three day ride about the bush near the Thailand/Burma border. The 500 performed quite well and a noticeable difference in flickability in comparison to my old 525.

The bike needs a few more revs than my old 525 to operate properly and is not near as stable when hitting things at speed. Not enough to be dangerous just not as settled as my 525. Reminds me of Honda CR250 handling, turns wonderful just keep an eye out on the high speed surprise hits.

Took out rebound dampening front and rear to ease the harshness over the square edged hits as it felt like it was packing down on multiple hits. This improved the suppleness and am pleased with the suspension.

Had the Kriega Overlander 30 bags mounted and they performed well enough as long as you can pack all you need for overnight trips into the pretty small bags. Though I still think the over the seat strap is a poorly designed feature.

Since I'm 5'5.5" i decided to lower the KTM suspension an inch. Its the first time I've ever lowered a bike however the 2012 and up KTM frames are just too tall for my midget arse to tackle tight enduro terrain.

I have however had my feet brushed off the pegs a few time in deep ruts and rocks, twice painfully. However the easier dabbing has kept me from toppling over numerous times. Lowering has both pro's and con's and as long as i don't break my Tibula/Fibula or foot from it getting ripped off i'll be well pleased with the lowering.

I had some issues after filling up with gasoline. It acted like the gas expanded and would blow out the vent hose. I'm guessing it is something that needs addressing in the gas cap and fuel sock I'm using. Something is not aligned correctly I'm thinking.

Still got your charcoal canister on that bike? That backventing sounds like a full canister, probably from an overfill or tipover..... If yours has a can still on it get it off and put a good 1 way vent tube on it.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #4586
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Bill,

I'm not sure how long it took you to clock up the 250 hours but after having one fail on a solo trip to Lao I started to replace my bearings front and rear every year at least once if i don't do too many trips during rainy season. If i do a lot of trips in rainy season i replace them as soon as i notice any slop.

Over here we have a huge variable with monsoon season that introduces at times miles and miles of mud which wears out the bearings pretty quickly Remember Big Fella taking my 525 in the middle of rainy season and could not get through a 3 week long trip without eating through three sets of bearings? I also gave him the bike with a brand new set.

Bill I used one All Balls set and was not impressed with the lifespan of the bearings so have been using NTN which were able to be sourced locally. However I needed to replace the spacers on the 525 as the mud wore through those pretty quickly.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

Flood screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 08:03 AM Reason: malware removed.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #4587
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
FTB
Someone on KTMtalk had that problem using the Profill fuel sock with the Acerbis 3 gal. If memory serves me correctly, that's your setup too ?
If so, the following post has a possible fix......

http://ktmtalk.com//index.php?showto...post&p=4276880

Re the wheel bearings, I'll be following your advice.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #4588
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
250hrs is not much but KTM do use quite small bearings in the rear hub.

I guess most people haven't done over 200hrs on their 500's yet, but the 525 and 530's use the same sized wheel bearing as the 500.
It would be interesting to hear from owners of those bike's how many hours they got out of the OEM rear wheel bearings.
I had my 530 for 11k miles and CHanged bearings only only once. But I don't remember when. Coming up on 200 hrs on 500. Running tight so far. But I will keep watch.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #4589
ChasM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
If yours has a can still on it get it off and put a good 1 way vent tube on it.

I would be leery of installing a one way check valve in the vent tube as it may lead to too much pressure build up in the gas tank as the gas heats up. It may not matter as much with FI, however with carbed bikes this often leads to fueling problems, carb overflowing, etc.
ChasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #4590
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Still got your charcoal canister on that bike? That backventing sounds like a full canister, probably from an overfill or tipover..... If yours has a can still on it get it off and put a good 1 way vent tube on it.
Why not just pop on the little plastic vent tube holder on the frame that the off-road only bikes use, and run the vent hose over to it? That's what I did. I have had uneven experiences with the one way vents too.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote