Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #4696
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,359
SteveO those pix are mental. Mid 80's in the FL sand yesterday, Ocala National Forest. Had to get the nuts on the tank and a 2 foot push off to make it over this one. Hard to get a good run up in the soft stuff. Check out those yellow bike thinkin too much back there .

Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #4697
soutahduner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I plan on installing the samco hose kit and ditching the thermostat very soon. i just wanted to clarify, what is needed electronically to delete the thermostat? plug Eliminator? Will the ecu throw a code if the thermo isnt in place?

Thanks fellas
I am running the trail tech voyager with the thermostat eliminator/coolant temp sensor and at first I was worried about the bike not getting up to temp for the most efficient fuel injection. So I installed the temp sensor and thermostat by adding more hose and I determined the thermostat is almost worthless. The bike heats up at practically the same rate and it stays right about 155 without t-stat and 165 with t-stat. It is hardly a difference I would worry about and plus it is less failure prone parts to worry about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
soutahduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #4698
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by soutahduner View Post
I am running the trail tech voyager with the thermostat eliminator/coolant temp sensor and at first I was worried about the bike not getting up to temp for the most efficient fuel injection. So I installed the temp sensor and thermostat by adding more hose and I determined the thermostat is almost worthless. The bike heats up at practically the same rate and it stays right about 155 without t-stat and 165 with t-stat. It is hardly a difference I would worry about and plus it is less failure prone parts to worry about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
Not once ambient gets below 60F. My bike will stay at 110 and honestly I dont feel that's warm enough. I plan on getting the trail tech inline temp sensor and reinstalling the tstat. Last year I had one radiator blocked and still would only get to about 120F at anything below 60F and I did my fair share of rides all the way down to 20F. Not sure Ive ever seen 155F.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #4699
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
So im a little lost on this, as to whether or not to remove the Tstat.

im in california and have had my xcw boil a few times now. my intentions were to remove the thermostat, put the samco hose kit in and evans coolant.

From what i gather, ill need an eliminator in place of the Tstat and a temp sensor to ditch the stock thermostat?
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #4700
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:

im in california and have had my xcw boil a few times now. my intentions were to remove the thermostat, put the samco hose kit in and evans coolant.

From what i gather, ill need an eliminator in place of the Tstat and a temp sensor to ditch the stock thermostat?
I think the Samco eliminates it all on it's own. (actually I see now you can order it with or without tstat bypass) I was speaking from the trail tech kit where it includes a bypass that replaces the t-stat itself with a temp sensor for the dash that is informational only. The FI gets it temp reading from the head I think, there's no wires attached to the t-stat housing. There's a fan switch mounted on the radiator and a temp switch on the the head that are not interfered with. Is that what you're asking? Is this the same Wolf from SMJ?

Dirty in all screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 12:50 PM
Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #4701
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you for the info, that about sums up what i was asking for.

I think there are a few "wolf" posters on the smj board, but yea i have an account there. Never really posted much on that forum though, and since i sold my sumo set up i havent really been back.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #4702
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
over heating

Quote:

What I found out last year doing a little googling.. one of the best ways to keep your motor cooler in warmer temps places is using distilled water and water wetter. this should lower your temp and your bike cooler in the warm weather, less prone to over heating. Also a very cheap method that works, well for me.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #4703
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info, but i already have wetter in the radiator. Had my dealer put it in before i picked the bike up a year ago.

I looked at the odometer for the first time in months and saw i only have 108 miles on the bike. in my defense... i semi sold the bike for about 5 months. but before my friend could pick it up, he got sent to jail. for what is gonna be a looooong time haha. so i gave him a refund and im starting back on the dirt scene. well... kinda.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #4704
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:

I eliminated my tstat and I also live in California and have had no issues for 2000 miles in much colder climate you may have issues as the bike will not get hot enough but in california you wont have any issues. Instead of a samco full $150.00 kit I ordered the oem radiator line from the 450sx that would normally connect to the tstat and then order the samco tstat plug for the radiator hole left over altogether it was less than $50.00 bucks. Use the Evans Waterless Coolant and you will never boil over again. my fan has only turned on twice for a few seconds and that was in 90 degree weather rock and boulder crawling for a couple hrs in a wash. I installed that set up about 2000 miles ago.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #4705
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Watch out with water wetter and distilled water. It has no anti-corrosive elements to it. I forgot to say that I drained the factory coolant and have been using Engine Ice and a higher pressure radiator cap because before I did the tstat delete the bike was getting very hot when the trails got technical. Not overheating but the fan would stay on for extended periods. Fan hasn't come on since the Engine Ice and hasn't really been above 180 with the tstat delete unless I sit and idle with it.

The Wolf, I am aptard on SMJ.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #4706
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post

well why didnt you just say so you sneaky bastard!

Ive been on a serious riding hiatus bro. i mean... ive ridden a bike MAYBE 10 times this year. my 500 was Gone, for about a week or so hahaha! But its been sitting like its a garage ornament in a ducati owners garage.

Glad to see you again dude, keep it dirty!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #4707
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,399
higher pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
Watch out with water wetter and distilled water. It has no anti-corrosive elements to it. I forgot to say that I drained the factory coolant and have been using Engine Ice and a higher pressure radiator cap because before I did the tstat delete the bike was getting very hot when the trails got technical. Not overheating but the fan would stay on for extended periods. Fan hasn't come on since the Engine Ice and hasn't really been above 180 with the tstat delete unless I sit and idle with it.

What cap are you using? I need a new one anyway, don't ask why I need a new one.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #4708
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
What cap are you using? I need a new one anyway, don't ask why I need a new one.
Cap says

CV4
#CV715-31
29lbs

I talked to Jeff Slavens @ Slavens Racing and he spilled his guts about everything he knows about the 500 and also tried to learn as much as he could from me and my experiences. We talked about coolant reservoirs and how we both didn't really like anything on the market. It was his solution. So I bought it from him on his suggestion and it's been perfect. I filled it with coolant, put on the new cap and it burped once. Has been at the perfect level when checked every 15 hours.

http://slavensracing.com/
Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #4709
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Speaking of headlights, check this out from our 70 degree Berg friends:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4295
Think I'm going to try one.

Wow! This looks AWESOME and I'm sure that the light pattern must be excellent! I wish that here in Spain the laws would be more "relaxed" so that we could DIY without any problem with cops/insurance, etc... That projector is fantastic and at a very good price!!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #4710
snackdaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
2013 500 exc Cam Bearing

So the (small) needle bearing that the camshaft fits is not fully seated. I say this because I am not able to change the shims as stated in the manual. When I go to lift the rocker arm on the intake side it interferes with the bearing. The manual has you change the shims by removing the camshaft NOT the rocker arm shafts. I know a lot of people prefer removing the shafts but I prefer the way the manual says.

Also there is an issue with one of the rocker arm shafts. One is very tight to remove but the other side slides out with what I would consider to be the right amount of interference/force. I fear the tight one might be bent.

Anyone else have this issue? Should I be concerned? The 2 KTM dealers I called basically said pound sand.
The bike runs great but will soon be off warranty.
snackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote