User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #4756
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,184
parts for sale

just an FYI, I've posted up a couple of parts for sale in the Flea mkt.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #4757
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Plonker View Post
Leaking seats won't smoke, just lose compression. Check the valve guide stem seals.
Thats what I meant only didn't use right terminology. Don't you have to remove head and valves to check/replace?

I will look into it.

Thanks for info.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #4758
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
A nice video of Ozzie Adam Riemann taking the 500 through 7 countries. Shot by the two guys only and a camera drone. Fantastic footage on a trip we'd all enjoy on a bike we all love.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #4759
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,341
Just saw this on Youtube today, looks like this is going to be a great film!! These boys probably ride better loaded down with luggage than 99% do without...
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #4760
Medpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
A nice video of Ozzie Adam Riemann taking the 500 through 7 countries. Shot by the two guys only and a camera drone. Fantastic footage on a trip we'd all enjoy on a bike we all love.

That would be a blast! Thanks for sharing.

Medpilot screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 03:36 PM
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #4761
motohermano
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 38
Broken spark plug on brand new 500 EXC

Thought I should share this. I bought a brand new 2014 500 EXC a couple of weeks ago. It ran great for 3 miles then quit running. It would start up briefly and run very rough for a few seconds then die. I honestly thought it was a fuel delivery problem. I took it back to the dealer for testing since I thought the problem was most likely a warrantee issue. They kept it for a week doing lots of tests and working with KTM to trouble shoot the problem. They replaced the injector and the TPS, still it wouldn't run. Almost as an afterthought, KTM told them to check the spark plug. It was cracked! A new, replacement plug fixed the problem. Apparently KTM has seen this on a few of the 2014 units. Unfortunately they haven't bothered to put out a service bulletin. Lesson learned: Carry a spare plug even if your 500 EXC is brand new.
motohermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #4762
robmeoff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
just an FYI, I've posted up a couple of parts for sale in the Flea mkt.
Where is the flea market ? Searched but can't find it
robmeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #4763
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,394
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...212063&page=12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmeoff View Post
Where is the flea market ? Searched but can't find

it
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #4764
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
........ These boys probably ride better loaded down with luggage than 99% do without...
Ain't that the truth.

Funnily enough he admits he was never good enough to win at the upper levels in Australia. I think the video's he puts together are some of the best dirt biking videos i've seen. He also has a great one traveling through India with his father on motorbikes.

One thing he can learn a bit about though is bike packing as it did not look like the most efficient use of items.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #4765
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,248
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFALCON View Post
... They kept it for a week doing lots of tests and working with KTM to trouble shoot the problem. They replaced the injector and the TPS, still it wouldn't run. Almost as an afterthought, KTM told them to check the spark plug. It was cracked! A new, replacement plug fixed the problem. ...
Thanks, interesting story. Sometimes it's silly (and frustrating) how easily the basics can be overlooked in the face of the "advanced" technology we have in cars and bikes these days. Fuel, air, spark, and compression. Easy for a tech to chase his tail if he doesn't prove all four early on in the troubleshooting process.

Reminds me of the troubleshooting guides that come with new electronics: "Problem: My TV won't turn on." First possible solution: "Verify TV is plugged in."

Lutz screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 06:03 AM
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #4766
dustinma
n00b

Oddometer: 3
What was the solution? I'm having the exact same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
I have installed a squadron LED light and a smaller light/horn/signal switch. Thought I had it all set but have lost my tail light. Signals and break light work but tail light will not. Does anybody know where the tail light gets power from? The stock headlight/signal/horn switch had a grey wire spliced into a green/red hot lead. I think that might be the issue.
What was the solution? I'm having the same problem after changing my light/blinker/horn switch.
dustinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #4767
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
2012 ktm 500 exc?

I don't remember exactly, I can look at my notes tomorrow. I think I had to loop power into the plug that then feed the wire for the tail light. Probably does not make since, I think I have it drawn out and will check.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #4768
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
Help - I am extremely pissed off and about to start breaking things in the garage. I just took my pivotpegz off and am trying to re-install the stockers. I don't remember exactly how the stockers came off, but usually the spring will hook somewhere on the peg, giving you a way to lever it into position to slide the pin in. These seem like they are only held captive by the frame and the footpeg, no place for the spring to hook. How in the hell do I compress the spring enough to get the pin in?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #4769
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 795
Don't break anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Help - I am extremely pissed off and about to start breaking things in the garage. I just took my pivotpegz off and am trying to re-install the stockers. I don't remember exactly how the stockers came off, but usually the spring will hook somewhere on the peg, giving you a way to lever it into position to slide the pin in. These seem like they are only held captive by the frame and the footpeg, no place for the spring to hook. How in the hell do I compress the spring enough to get the pin in?

Send me your email, I will send you pics...

yahbomoto@gmail.com
Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #4770
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
The way I have done it;
Get a long substantial sized punch with the point small enough to fit in the hole in the end of the pin.
Run it up thru the bottom while you're getting the spring and peg in the proper position. Since the end of the punch is smaller than the pin, it gives you more room to work with.
Once they're in there and swiveling fine, etc., stick the pin on the end of the punch and carefully work the pin in from the top making sure the punch and pin stay together until the pin is all the way in.
Note: wear eye protection; that's a mean spring if it gets loose..
KDXfile is offline   Reply With Quote