Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #4921
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
After reading this post, here in ADVrider:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=888212&page=2

I am thinking that using this fuse holder:

Could be a good idea, and when/if I need to jump start the bike, I can manufacture a "bypass wire" so that I can bypass the fuse holder all together, as the original poster, in post #17
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #4922
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyktm View Post

Could be a good idea, and when/if I need to jump start the bike, I can manufacture a "bypass wire" so that I can bypass the fuse holder all together, as the original poster, in post #17

I wouldn't mess with a bypass wire. You could put in a 25Amp fuse which is a "lot" of juice, and would allow you to "charge" the battery for a while, before attempting to start it. For jumping, I'd just carry some 8Gauge wire that could be hooked up from one battery to the other straight. The initial pull of current should be very quick when the starting is pulling, and then when the engine is running, the pull will be reduced. The 8G will handle that pull for a short time.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #4923
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 945
jump start

jump start??? WTF does it not come with a kick starter?? mine does, or even push it and jump start it that way (maybe). My battery was dead a few time and it kicks over easy. Maybe if the bike was sunk and need the constant turning over. But maybe up here in Canada we are better at ass kicking so our leg is stronger lol. Just a joke so please don't take it the wrong way.
But I do like the plug idea on the battery

Quote:

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #4924
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,900
jumper cables

I have a made up set of cables I have used several times (to jump off other's dead battery). Works fine IF bike starts quick. 8ga wire is OK for this.

BTW I am an old fart (and from the south) and kicking this thing without ebutton assist is just not possible for me.

The jumpers and the tow strap I always carry often come in handy...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #4925
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Thank you for the advice!

I thought about adding an inline fuse that I already have. One like that:

But I had no idea the amp rating that I would need, and I was afraid that, even if I used a high amp (10 or 20 amp) fuse, it would be possible to blow it during a jump start because the current required to initially turn the engine is very high...

Other option would be to use a high amp "auto reset" circuit breaker, like these that I purchased some time ago in delcity.net:

http://www.delcity.net/store/Auto-Re...9.h_198848.t_1

Do you think that it would be a better idea? And if so, which rating (20a, 30a, or 50a) would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
These options certainly work but...

Here is another option...

a. a circuit breaker that is the plug in blade style vs the bolt on style

b use slide on female terminals protected with some heat shrink for the blades

This is lighter, simpler & cheaper (about $4).

Generally you need no more than a 10 amp CB but sometimes a 20 is easier to find. The whole idea is to protect the line from creating a fire / melt down in the event of a wire pinch / chafe.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #4926
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Thank you very much to all of you for the very useful advices!

I'll replace as soon as possible the positive cable with an online 25amp fuse, so that the line is protected, and if I connect other battery, I can leave both batteries "charging" for some minutes, and in case that a jump start is needed I can always use some extra cables or a bypass wire. From time to time I start the bike with the kick starter, just to remember how it's done , but it's good to have the possibility to offer some juice to fellow riders or to myself, in case that I feel weak
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #4927
SteveO
Huh???

Cool2 speaking of wiring.....

speaking of wiring and fuses, here are some shots from my last adventure in KTM wiring....

Fuse block I installed

And the wiring schematic behind it all

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #4928
Ktmexracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
[QUOTE=SteveO;22777206]speaking of wiring and fuses, here are some shots from my last adventure in KTM wiring....

Fuse block I installed

Steve O, How did you mount your 276c??
I'm still scratching my head a little how I will mount mine.
TIA.
2002 KTM 520 EXC (sold)
2002 Honda XR650L (sold)
Ktmexracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #4929
SteveO
Huh???

GPS 276C Mount

[QUOTE=Ktmexracer;22780593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
speaking of wiring and fuses, here are some shots from my last adventure in KTM wiring....

Fuse block I installed

Steve O, How did you mount your 276c??
I'm still scratching my head a little how I will mount mine.
TIA.
I have a Tourtech mount (cradle) that holds the GPS securely.

Now, I'm not trying to sell you on these mounts, but dang! They are SOLID. I've wrecked, many, many times and the GPS was retained in the mount. I really, like this mount. Now, this "cradle" is just to hold the GPS, you'll need a 1/2" OD bar that this cradle will mount to. For that, I built my own setup, using some 1/2" OD bar from Lowes. Just using a hacksaw a large hammer and a vise to hold the bar still while I bent and hammered the crap out of it.

The result is this:

I have this mount as a spare that I've not used if your interested. While I don't think it's a solid as the locking mount above, it'll work with a Ram ball.

I think (need to look) I still have my old mount that I could sell ya as well.

Anyhow, hope that helps.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #4930
Ktmexracer
Adventurer

[QUOTE=SteveO;22780893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktmexracer View Post

I have a Tourtech mount (cradle) that holds the GPS securely.

Now, I'm not trying to sell you on these mounts, but dang! They are SOLID. I've wrecked, many, many times and the GPS was retained in the mount. I really, like this mount. Now, this "cradle" is just to hold the GPS, you'll need a 1/2" OD bar that this cradle will mount to. For that, I built my own setup, using some 1/2" OD bar from Lowes. Just using a hacksaw a large hammer and a vise to hold the bar still while I bent and hammered the crap out of it.

The result is this:

I have this mount as a spare that I've not used if your interested. While I don't think it's a solid as the locking mount above, it'll work with a Ram ball.

I think (need to look) I still have my old mount that I could sell ya as well.

Anyhow, hope that helps.
Nice fab work. I have the TT cradle mount as well. Just need a 1/2 bar type of device to mount it. Like your approach.
Thanks !!!!
2002 KTM 520 EXC (sold)
2002 Honda XR650L (sold)
Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #4931
SteveO
Huh???

[QUOTE=Ktmexracer;22781293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post

Nice fab work. I have the TT cradle mount as well. Just need a 1/2 bar type of device to mount it. Like your approach.
Thanks !!!!
that mount has withstood some serious abuse of whoops and lots of trail riding. The small bars that run down to the inside of the HDB bars are critical to keep the top bar from moving. Keep the whole thing from any movement, and it'll last.

I've since moved over to a little better mount....actually, it's a lot better. You can see my latest video of the Quien Sabe 600 here in NM, there is some video footage of it in there.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #4932
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,851
I've had the 276C on the Tourtech mount on the RAM ball mount. It's seen about 50k miles of roads and trails on the 950, 990, 500, street bikes and even in the truck. The RAM mount allows a 1 min change over. On really, really big hits it will slip and protect the electronics even more. I'll cry when this GPS is gone.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #4933
Ktmexracer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I've had the 276C on the Tourtech mount on the RAM ball mount. It's seen about 50k miles of roads and trails on the 950, 990, 500, street bikes and even in the truck. The RAM mount allows a 1 min change over. On really, really big hits it will slip and protect the electronics even more. I'll cry when this GPS is gone.
Zuber, that sounds easy. How does the RAM ball mount attach to the backside of the TT mount? I need to find one of those.
Thanks in advance!!
2002 KTM 520 EXC (sold)
2002 Honda XR650L (sold)
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #4934
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
........ I'll cry when this GPS is gone.
ditto.

Mine had a large crack across the screen for a long time. I think the only thing keeping the moisture from getting past the crack was a protective see-through plastic stuck to the screen. I've since ordered a replacement screen, internal clock battery from a guy in Russia, via ebay. It took a while, but they are hear, and my unit will once again be back in top-notch condition.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #4935
noahr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
I've found a deal on some supermoto wheels.
They are RAD 17" - 3.5 fronts and 5 back. Anyone know if they will fit my 2014?
noahr is offline   Reply With Quote