Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #5026
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
As someone who has a 690 and put many miles on it (25000) and now has a 500. I didn't think there should be that mucho difference but wow. On road it lacks the power the 690 had, but off road is shines. Losing that extra 50lbs is huge in the difference of the bikes. Off road, single track sand etc..it will leave the 690 in the dust. As for trips I don't see why not just have to change the oil on route.
The position of the fuel tank also makes a big difference to handling, as well as the height difference.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #5027
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
I am going with the 20l clear tank on my 500 soon, as you said if you don't need it don't fill it up.
Also I like your rear signal lights, or should I say marking lights. I have them on my 690 after breaking them all the time. Will be putting the led waterproof ones on the 500 this winter.
I also had two as brake lights once when the tail light went to shit and I still had a long way home at night.
That one doesn't fit the 500 unless its desmogged correct? I know it drops right onto the 350 but the smog canister prevents it from seating on the 500. Just a heads up.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #5028
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
That one doesn't fit the 500 unless its desmogged correct? I know it drops right onto the 350 but the smog canister prevents it from seating on the 500. Just a heads up.
Ya I have done that as soon as I got the bike, just need to do the TPS voltage thing to keep it backfiring as much. But I still do not know how to do that and need the tool for it also lol.
thanks though

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #5029
Forzato
baboodee

Oddometer: 65
'User Setting Tool' aka UST - to remap ignition and fuel

Has anyone successfully used the UST aka 'User Setting Tool' on a 500 EXC?

If so, how did you do it? (reflash ECU with XC-W using XC1 V4.1 tool, European unrestricted map, etc, etc)

Does the UST allow you to remap the ignition timing on this bike?

Many, many thanks in advance for your help.
Forzato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #5030
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
2014 - h4 to LED?

I think the 2014's are h4 now correct?

Couple of guys on doo talk (sleds) have installed LED bulbs that fit right into H4 sockets and plug and play for both hi and low.
Think one can work on the exc? Not sure of output?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-LED-...:WNARL:US:1123
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #5031
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrady View Post
I have the gpr damper on my 500 but I don't know if it's the same one from the 525. I used ktm's submount and I'm really happy with the whole set up..

I took the GPR off my 2006 525 and it bolted right onto my 2014.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #5032
noahr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
While riding down a trail on my last ride I shifted into first and the shifter dropped all the way down, upon inspection I noticed my shifter was a little stripped as showen in the pic below

Not wanting to mess things up further I road back in 2nd gear and bought a new shifter the next day, I also discovered the shifter stripping/falling off is a common problem so I also got some loctite that I planned to apply liberally.

The next day I put the new shifter on with plenty of grip, unfortunately the shifter column kept spinning down like something was broken inside and even with the clutch in it still feels like it's "kinda" in gear.

See Video:

http://youtu.be/X7f8YeuRbW4

The bike is a 2014 500 exc that I just got less than a month ago so hopefully that KTM warranty works out for me!

Any ideas guys?

noahr screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 09:04 PM
noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #5033
peteandheidi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
is the shaft turning with the shifter?

Your sure that its not stripped as well and the new shifter is just rotating around it without actuating.

Should be pretty easy to identify
peteandheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #5034
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

2012 ktm 500 exc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteandheidi View Post

Your sure that its not stripped as well and the new shifter is just rotating around it without actuating.

I'm pretty sure that shaft or the shifter is tapered - and the end bolt has to be installed and snugged up in order for the splines to engage and hold.
Clean everything again, higher Rez pics of shaft and new shifter (what part # did you buy?), try installing and tightening bolt down BEFORE you try rotating it again.

Ps - my 2014 was the first bike I had with this kind of shifter attachment. Old school shifters with bolt through you could see treads compressing and engaging when you installed it. Not with this style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ecarnell screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 04:35 AM
Old 11-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #5035
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,551
Maybe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahr View Post
While riding down a trail on my last ride I shifted into first and the shifter dropped all the way down, upon inspection I noticed my shifter was a little stripped as showen in the pic below

Not wanting to mess things up further I road back in 2nd gear and bought a new shifter the next day, I also discovered the shifter stripping/falling off is a common problem so I also got some loctite that I planned to apply liberally.

The next day I put the new shifter on with plenty of grip, unfortunately the shifter column kept spinning down like something was broken inside and even with the clutch in it still feels like it's "kinda" in gear.

See Video:

http://youtu.be/X7f8YeuRbW4

The bike is a 2014 500 exc that I just got less than a month ago so hopefully that KTM warranty works out for me!

Any ideas guys?
It looks like you have internal problems. The shifter spring inside may be broken or has come loose. The shifter should shift down and then spring back up to catch the next cog to go up or down.

With the spring broken/not working you could have stripped the shifter trying to shift when it would not... a heavy boot can do a lot of damage.

You didn't show trying to shift UP. what happens then?

Good luck on the dealer warranty! I would pull the side case and look for myself but then that's me. BTW all this is on the right side (not the side where the shifter lever fits but the clutch side).

Let us know how this turn out.

BTW I think this set up is better than the old pinch bolt style.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms

Vico1 screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 05:51 AM
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #5036
noahr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteandheidi View Post

That's what I though at first so I bought another shifter, but if you look At the video closely that I poasted you can see the whole shaft turning and nothing happening

I'm going to the dealership today, I'll post what ends up happening.
On another forum another rider has seen this problem

"we had this once before, the shaft is welded on a plate and this welding did not hold it so shaft spins whitout take the plate . go back to the dealer"

noahr screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 07:53 AM
noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #5037
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahr View Post
That's what I though at first so I bought another shifter, but if you look At the video closely that I poasted you can see the whole shaft turning and nothing happening

I'm going to the dealership today, I'll post what ends up happening.
On another forum another rider has seen this problem

"we had this once before, the shaft is welded on a plate and this welding did not hold it so shaft spins whitout take the plate . go back to the dealer"
Didn't see close up of the vid until now.... Looks internal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 11-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #5038
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Ya I have done that as soon as I got the bike, just need to do the TPS voltage thing to keep it backfiring as much. But I still do not know how to do that and need the tool for it also lol.
thanks though
Here is a link for TPS adjustment and where to get the tool:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4938
Bengt Phorks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #5039
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
Here is a link for TPS adjustment and where to get the tool:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4938

I read through that a couple of times.
It does not show you how to adjust the TPS.
There are some pics of someone adjusting their TPS.
But it is NOT instructional. It does give you a setting # and a part # for the tool. But no explanation of how to use the tool.

I have adjusted a TPS on other bikes. I hooked a meter to the wires and moved the TPS.
Why is this tool needed? What does it do?
Obviously there is something I don't know. ( actually there is a LOT of things I don't know).
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #5040
DirtWarrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
The weight difference is HUGE. I own a 350, my riding buddy a 500. The 500 is 9lb heavier than mine and is a beast. We routinely ride 200-300 mile day trips on mostly dirt (20-45 miles of pavement to get to the trails). I'm at 7100 miles and him over 4k. The maintenance, while very important, is not OMG stop the bikes I just hit 15 hrs important. Change it when you stop in town or bring some along with you on your extended trip. Keep an eye in the Flea Market on these forums as I will be parting out some of my dual sport racks/tanks that fit the 500/350 to fund my f800 farkle project this winter.
Thanks for all of your replies. This is going to be a tough decision to make... selling my 690 and getting a 500! What are the typical ranges with an aftermarket fuel tank on the 500?

Thanks
Nick
DirtWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote