Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #5506
Oldcow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I have both tanks completely kitted out with fuel pumps and hoses right up to the quick connect fitting. Swapping them is very easy.
Did you purchase the stock fuel pump assembly or did you find a better deal elsewhere? I was quoted over $600 for an OEM kit. I have both the 13 and 20l tanks from Acerbis as well.
Oldcow
Oldcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #5507
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
Did you purchase the stock fuel pump assembly or did you find a better deal elsewhere? I was quoted over $600 for an OEM kit. I have both the 13 and 20l tanks from Acerbis as well.
Oldcow
Over at KTM Twins the whole assembly is listed around $344 and they are not the cheapest usually.

The actual pump is the same as for the 690 and can be bought at California Cycleworks, but I would imagine that the whole assembly is only produced by KTM.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #5508
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 928
Fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Over at KTM Twins the whole assembly is listed around $344 and they are not the cheapest usually.

The actual pump is the same as for the 690 and can be bought at California Cycleworks, but I would imagine that the whole assembly is only produced by KTM.
If you look at the 690 fuel pump it is a generic type and can be bought on ebay for under 50 shipped. And yes it looks and bolts up no prob and have not had a problem with it yet. Now just to make an assembly to fit in the tank

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #5509
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The safety wire is one way. But, you need to occasionally re-torque this bolt. The shifter splines are tapered and will loosen up. It's not the bolt spining.

FYI, that bolt, and the three washers are special hardened steel. Don't replace them with anything else. Get the originals from KTM. Not cheap though.

Lots of blue loctite usually works just fine with an occasional torque check.
Had that problem using a Hammerhead bolt and washer assembly on my 990 ADV. The bolt head ended up shearing off. Sent it to Hammerhead but never got an anwer back.

Two of the washers are "Nord" lock washers. They have serrrations on one side and tapered ramps on the other side. The ramped side of the washers need face each other when installed. That way when the bolt tries to back out the ramps ride over each other and and tighten up the whole assembly and keep the bolt from backing off.
You need to replace these washers once the ramps start to wear. If you don't - that is how I nearly lost the bolt and shiter - twice!
Even though they are a little pricey, I change mine out every second or third time I remove the bolt. Haven't had a problem with the shifter since.

And I do use lot's of blue loctite.
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #5510
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
500 exc cockpit

I'm thinking about trading in my 05 400exc for the 500. I'm 6'4" 190#, is this going to be a longer cockpit? I'm pretty cramped on my current ride (my fault). Is the 350 cockpit same size as 500?

Also can anyone give me a comparison on power characteristics? I really like being able to slowly lug through tight trees and up the twisty steep trails I ride. I'm not looking for abrupt unless I want it.

Thanks in advance. I live 75 miles from the shop and I'm pretty sure I won't get a single track test ride
Crab bait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #5511
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
90 degree fuel fitting

Can someone tell me where to find a 90 degree fuel pump fitting for my 500 xcw. I saw a picture on one of these 500 threads - could have even been the 350 thread. Looked like a banjo fitting that bolted into the fuel pump and provided the 90 degree turn. I thought I marked it so I could get one ordered and now can't find it. Just to be clear - this is an aftermarket fitting that eliminates the molded 90 in the factory fuel hose. Thanks
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #5512
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 928
Question fuel tank

Any one have the acerbis 6gal tank on there bike? If so whats it like with fuel on the right side not balancing sides. Did anyone have a cross over valve they put on it or is it fine? Just asking because I have a rally coming up and thinking it might be a PTA.
thanks

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #5513
psyco
Motard Madness

Oddometer: 62
Just converted mine over

psyco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #5514
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
Can someone tell me where to find a 90 degree fuel pump fitting for my 500 xcw. I saw a picture on one of these 500 threads - could have even been the 350 thread. Looked like a banjo fitting that bolted into the fuel pump and provided the 90 degree turn. I thought I marked it so I could get one ordered and now can't find it. Just to be clear - this is an aftermarket fitting that eliminates the molded 90 in the factory fuel hose. Thanks
I have one on my bike.
Part 77707988017
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-mx-fuel-...te-77707988017
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #5515
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thank you - I won't lose it again
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #5516
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
Any one have the acerbis 6gal tank on there bike? If so whats it like with fuel on the right side not balancing sides. Did anyone have a cross over valve they put on it or is it fine? Just asking because I have a rally coming up and thinking it might be a PTA.
thanks
I have the Acerbis big tank, but it's about 5.5 gal. It will pump out 4.5 to the low fuel light, then about another 3/4 gal to empty. There's still fuel on the right side and also in the forward corners. But, this is only when ridden on smooth roads. That almost a 350 plus mile range on two track. How many fuel stops did you pass by in 350 miles?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #5517
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab bait View Post
I'm thinking about trading in my 05 400exc for the 500. I'm 6'4" 190#, is this going to be a longer cockpit? I'm pretty cramped on my current ride (my fault). Is the 350 cockpit same size as 500?

Also can anyone give me a comparison on power characteristics? I really like being able to slowly lug through tight trees and up the twisty steep trails I ride. I'm not looking for abrupt unless I want it.

Thanks in advance. I live 75 miles from the shop and I'm pretty sure I won't get a single track test ride
The 350 and 500 are identical chassis geometry. Only the engines are different. The engines make an 11 lb. weight difference. Neither of these bikes will chug around like the old RFS motors. They like to rev a little, kind of like the 300 xcw two strokes on the bottom end. But, that is very linear and controlled. The new 2014 350exc has more low and mid-rpm grunt than the previous years. They won't run below, say 2000 rpm, but pull very well by 3000. They aren't really happy until 3500.

Where you'll love these bikes is when you get them in tight woods. They turn so much better than your 2005.

If you run tight woods 95% of the time, get the 350 and put a Rekluse clutch on it. Unbeatable.

More two track or roads, you'll like the 500.

On both these bikes, the steering head is forward a few inches compared to your 05. Seat to peg, about the same. I'm 6'4". Bar risers, fastway pegs, and the tall Seat Concepts fixed it.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #5518
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The 350 and 500 are identical chassis geometry. Only the engines are different. The engines make an 11 lb. weight difference. Neither of these bikes will chug around like the old RFS motors. They like to rev a little, kind of like the 300 xcw two strokes on the bottom end. But, that is very linear and controlled. The new 2014 350exc has more low and mid-rpm grunt than the previous years. They won't run below, say 2000 rpm, but pull very well by 3000. They aren't really happy until 3500.

Where you'll love these bikes is when you get them in tight woods. They turn so much better than your 2005.

If you run tight woods 95% of the time, get the 350 and put a Rekluse clutch on it. Unbeatable.

More two track or roads, you'll like the 500.

On both these bikes, the steering head is forward a few inches compared to your 05. Seat to peg, about the same. I'm 6'4". Bar risers, fastway pegs, and the tall Seat Concepts fixed it.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.
Crab bait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #5519
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyco View Post

Sweet! Ocala NF?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #5520
fraydknot
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Fuel Tank Options for KTM 500 exc

What is the largest tank I can buy and still use the stock shrouds?
I am gearing up for the UPAT and need at least 90 mile range. Would the 3.1 gal KTM tank hold enough to ride hard and not run out on gas?
Would like to get a tank I could leave on, no huge Baja tank.
Just need more than stock capacity to feel safe, would rather not carry a ton of fuel in jugs.
Thanks, Chris
fraydknot is offline   Reply With Quote