Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #6106
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I don't know if you'll ever find out exactly what occurs but the TPS sets the starting and subsequent throttle position points (steps) for the ecu. The system takes that TPS value, factors in the other inputs (temp/pressure/rpm) which cross references a fueling step in the ECU map and outputs a frequency modulated signal to the injector. If the TPS setting is off, say the setting should be 600mv and your at 580mv then the entire FI map will be offset by 20mv to the lean side. Since the system is open loop with no lambda (O2) sensor, that's all it has to go by. The Euro system is a better setup with it's feedback loop (O2) sensor, the extra feedback tells the ECU what's actually happening mixture-wise.
Are the '14's equipped with the closed loop Euro system? I am trying to figure out how KTM has made the '14's supposedly run better stock than with the unrestricted Euro map. Certainly the 350's have much improved bottom torque. When they closed the loop on passenger cars, the average mom's minivan went from 160HP to 225HP! I assume KTM is using common hardware, so if your '12 - '13 ECU is remapped to the unrestricted Euro map, could you weld in a bung for an O2 sensor and get the same magic?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #6107
Forzato
baboodee

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Are the '14's equipped with the closed loop Euro system?
No lambda sensor on my US spec 2014 500EXC...

Forzato screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 05:58 PM
Forzato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #6108
motokeith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I made some attachment points out of scrap aluminum which attach to the lower subframe bolts.

...snip...
Thanks for the replies, all. I was going the same direction as MasterMarine, so I guess I will press on with that.
motokeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #6109
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Does anyone know if the euro map 2014 "mild" setting increases fuel consumption?

Installed new 13l ktm tank - filled close to brim .
Very slow riding today due to ice and snow still in bush.

Fuel light cane on 167 km, and ole over to mo ran out at 190 km. had to tip bike over to move remaining fuel in wings to get another 2km back to trailer.

I would have thought it would have gone 200km/120 miles.

Switch setting have anything to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #6110
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
Does anyone know if the euro map 2014 "mild" setting increases fuel consumption?

Fuel light cane on 167 km, and ole over to mo ran out at 190 km. had to tip bike over to move remaining fuel in wings to get another 2km back to trailer.

On my 2012 500EXC the map switch only changes the ignition advance. Mild = -2 degrees advance, standard = 0 degrees and Wild = +2 degrees advance.
I notice that the fan comes on more when the switch is in the mild position.
In my experience going slow in the lower gears used more fuel than cruising along it the higher gears. I have gone 114 miles with the stock tank without the fuel light coming on. In an enduro the fuel light came on at 75 miles.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #6111
BajaRat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzrider View Post
I use kerosene myself as it works as good as min spirits. I go a step further. After washing in kero, I wash
In the hottest water i can stand with
dawn dish soap and rinse in hot water afterwards. Gets all the oil and kero residue out and lessens the chance of breaking down the air filter oil. I also use bel-ray oil.

http://www.garyrabeinternational.com/swwaff-500ml/
Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #6112
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post

Yes the mild setting does use more fuel. I figured it to richening up the circuit. Got about 120 miles from a tank and should have got 150 or more. Did the same track this year in Baja and had no gas issue in stock map position on switch. Year before had to empty my extra half gallon to make it. I would then think that the wild setting would lean it out? Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in . I can just tell you that I have noticed higher fuel consumption while in the mild mapping mode.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #6113
13exc500fz1
RIDE OR DIE

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Are the '14's equipped with the closed loop Euro system? I am trying to figure out how KTM has made the '14's supposedly run better stock than with the unrestricted Euro map. Certainly the 350's have much improved bottom torque. When they closed the loop on passenger cars, the average mom's minivan went from 160HP to 225HP! I assume KTM is using common hardware, so if your '12 - '13 ECU is remapped to the unrestricted Euro map, could you weld in a bung for an O2 sensor and get the same magic?
so where in peachtree city ga i lived there for a good portion of my life
only got into riding once in California
13exc500fz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #6114
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
None of the dirt bikes have O2 sensors, yet.

The 14's run better simply because of KTM's refinements. The engine is 3 years old now and they've had time to get closer in tuning.

Closing the loop on passenger cars wasn't the only reason for more power. Four valve head motors are common now, faster injectors and computers, wide band O2 sensors, higher rev'n motors, 8 and 9 speed autos, and more.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #6115
mrhermit
All Around Cool Dude

Oddometer: 30
Acerbis 5.3 Gal Tank Graphics?

Anyone know where a guy can get tank graphics for the Acerbis 5.3 gal tank? Be nice to spruce things up a bit, like these dudes.

Where can you get tank graphics like this?
by Mr. Hermit, on Flickr
mrhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #6116
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhermit View Post
Anyone know where a guy can get tank graphics for the Acerbis 5.3 gal tank? Be nice to spruce things up a bit, like these dudes.

by Mr. Hermit, on Flickr
I'll have a template to customize your own graphics within the next week or so. Same tank and I don't like the bare plastic look so I cut a template and just scanned it for sizing. I have my local sign company print graphics and put 8 mil cleat over it to protect the image. I'll post up shortly.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #6117
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
None of the dirt bikes have O2 sensors, yet.

The 14's run better simply because of KTM's refinements. The engine is 3 years old now and they've had time to get closer in tuning.

Closing the loop on passenger cars wasn't the only reason for more power. Four valve head motors are common now, faster injectors and computers, wide band O2 sensors, higher rev'n motors, 8 and 9 speed autos, and more.
I am aware of all the other mechanical goodies that have come along. But there was a lot of press on the car magazines the year that there was a big change that lowered the allowable levels of certain pollutants. The average V6 with no major changes internally except maybe cam profiles were picking up 40-50HP. It was attributed to the enhanced engine management systems with a closed loop system. The greens were rather aghast at this in intended consequence of their anti-pollution rules.

'13 350EXC-F
Old 04-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #6118
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
I'll have a template to customize your own graphics within the next week or so. Same tank and I don't like the bare plastic look so I cut a template and just scanned it for sizing. I have my local sign company print graphics and put 8 mil cleat over it to protect the image. I'll post up shortly.
You should switch to a 13L tank so I can piggyback off your work!

'13 350EXC-F
Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #6119
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhermit View Post

by Mr. Hermit, on Flickr
Graphics don't stay on those tanks, save your money. Take a close look at the KTM video, you'll see multiple shots where the graphics are almost completely unstuck from the tank. I'd be willing to bet they had way more then one set just to make that video. The plastic tanks sweat fuel fumes and the graphics come off sooner than later.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #6120
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Justin
Look fwd to seeing how the Altrider Hemisphere mounts on the 500 compared to the GL Coyote, plus carrying capacities in its various configurations.
I'm guessing the Altrider will mount the same way the GL Coyote does and so should not present any real challenges, hopefully. I'll load it with a few different loads and try and figure out how much can be carried below seat height. Realistically though I'm betting nothing will carry as good as saddlebags for carrying stuff below the seat height.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote