User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #6226
DirtWarrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Ktm 500 exc

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be looking more into the 500. I plan on doing some backcountry discovery routes, so will a 500 be fine for that type of riding? I've seen ride reports of guys riding small thumpers..
Thanks!
DirtWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #6227
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Looking for an old KTM 500 Clutch Cover

Just wondering if anyone has a KTM 500 Clutch Cover they don't need anymore. Maybe you changed it out to a rekluse cover or maybe it has a hole in it. If you don't need it, I'd be willing to take it off your hands. Hit me up. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #6228
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWarrior View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be looking more into the 500. I plan on doing some backcountry discovery routes, so will a 500 be fine for that type of riding? I've seen ride reports of guys riding small thumpers..
Thanks!

A 500 will be superb for any back country adventure.
I've camped off mine during many adventures. Great bike to have.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #6229
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medpilot View Post
damn! swap and toss! I hate that move!

Also, yes i have the 3" double take arm I think. and yes I put the ball on cranked the clamp down as tight as i could at 90degrees and then pushed it. Still comes loose like 20 times a day, especially in the wind at 70mph.

I'll put some blue locktite and figure out how to tighten the ball down better.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #6230
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Medpilot- hope you don't require surgery and heal quickly. And +1 what Fu said!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #6231
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWarrior View Post
Thanks!
Its fine, I just rode mine off road all day saturday then we camped at some hot springs, return route was more gravel roads but I flatted and was in a hurry the gravel roads were not all that much fun..hard seat, etc.. I have done the route on my 950 super enduro and it was a hell of a lot easier on a lighter bike.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #6232
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
Also, yes i have the 3" double take arm I think. and yes I put the ball on cranked the clamp down as tight as i could at 90degrees and then pushed it. Still comes loose like 20 times a day, especially in the wind at 70mph.

I'll put some blue locktite and figure out how to tighten the ball down better.
I installed mine using a cheap strap wrench and was able to get them plenty tight... repeated drops and speeds that may or may not be in excess of 100mph and while the mirrors move when I hit trees or dump the bike, the ball has stayed put even with no locktite. This is also using the 3" arms.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #6233
RailwayRog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
So I ended up breaking my collar bone this weekend. I think I had my suspension set too stiff or I should say the compression dampening set too high. I hit a 6in divit in the trail which sent me flying. Here's the video.

http://youtu.be/8TpHUJN3KqA
Hey i noticed the cactus, i was just out your way and received this on a wide open dirt road, I hit a little baby head rock imbedded in the road and went down hard at about 40mph. Scottsdale Thompson Peak Hospital (had surgery) is nice, though I don't want to go there again.
Wishing you a speedy recovery, i just got my wires removed, now I got to get the fingers to move.
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #6234
Medpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks for all the well wishes and SteveO that's some funny s**t. That's exactly what I was thinking during my airborne encounter.

I'd like to give a shout out to the padded undershorts I was wearing. A pair of Troy Lee Designs Shock Doctor BP7605 shorts. Highly recommend them to anyone who hurts themselves as much as I do. I think they helped minimize the damage during my crash. I have a bruise on the side of my knee where I didn't have any protection. Otherwise I was either covered by my boots or the shorts.

Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #6235
Medpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayRog View Post
Hey i noticed the cactus, i was just out your way and received this on a wide open dirt road, I hit a little baby head rock imbedded in the road and went down hard at about 40mph. Scottsdale Thompson Peak Hospital (had surgery) is nice, though I don't want to go there again.
Wishing you a speedy recovery, i just got my wires removed, now I got to get the fingers to move.
Wow, that look gnarly. Yeah, I hit a few cactus quills along the trail, but NOTHING compared to that. Wow. Hope you have a speedy recovery as well.
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #6236
RailwayRog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Thanks for all the well wishes and SteveO that's some funny s**t. That's exactly what I was thinking during my airborne encounter.

I'd like to give a shout out to the padded undershorts I was wearing. A pair of Troy Lee Designs Shock Doctor BP7605 shorts. Highly recommend them to anyone who hurts themselves as much as I do. I think they helped minimize the damage during my crash. I have a bruise on the side of my knee where I didn't have any protection. Otherwise I was either covered by my boots or the shorts.

Agree with you Medpilot, i wear the Dainese Armour shorts, pretty pricey but worth it.
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #6237
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 289
Those of you who have the KTM 3.5 gal tank and those of you who have the acerbis 5.3 how many miles are you getting out of each tank? ...with fairly normal trail/adventure riding.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)

jtmajors screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 07:06 PM
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #6238
ZenMoto
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 671
Well, I've got less than 250 miles on my 500 (all of them, completely awesome, by the way). ...but noticed some oil on my left fork leg.

At first I thought I had managed to blow a seal already (no marine biology jokes required), so I pulled the fork off to take a closer look

The forks have 11 3/4" of exposed tube from the seal to the axle / brake bracket at the bottom, and I found this between 5.5 and 6.5" from the fork seal. The smallish scratch is towards the top of the fork leg, and all the damaged covers about 1" of travel, but right in the middle of the exposed fork leg.

The damage is at the rear of the tube; the portion not really protected by the plastic guards. I have neoprene guards as well, but they only cover the top 3 or so inches; more to keep grit out of the seals than anything.

I suspect this is wearing against the seal and pulling some oil with it. I should note, the oil-film on the fork leg was very light.

...don't suppose there's any way to really repair this beyond having the fork re-plated, or just ordering a new slider tube?

What a total bummer ...and I'm baffled how it got so beat up!!!

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #6239
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,377
Quote:
So I ended up breaking my collar bone this weekend. I think I had my suspension set too stiff or I should say the compression dampening set too high. I hit a 6in divit in the trail which sent me flying. Here's the video.

http://youtu.be/8TpHUJN3KqA
Ouch! Hope you feel better! How long are you down for? I did something similar on Labor day a few years ago, I was out most of the summer

I agree, I think your settings are off, it wasn't that big that it should have threw you like that.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #6240
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
2012 ktm 500 exc?

Zen-Don't know if it will work in this case, but I have a friend in the hydraulic biz. I have seen him able to polish/ buff out scratches
Like this in hydraulic cylinders using several different grits of honing stones. Takes some time to do but has saved customers thousands of $ this way. I would try it if it was me !
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote