Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #781
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Exellent price for OTD. That is below the suggested retail price.
Agreed. Below sticker in Dallas too. Jump on it.
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #782
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barron View Post

I know you didn't ask about the dealer in Decatur (Action Motorsports) but they have been the greatest to me. Orange Wrench (or something like that) service department. Offer 20% off internet orders on Monday's. I have bought a 2012 500 EXC and 2008 990 Adventure from them. Handled any warranty issues immediately. Installed the filter kit on the EXC before I picked it up.

Just good folks.
Craig Martin is the owner.

Don't want to tieup this thread. PM me if you have any questions. AND no I don't work for them. I just live in
Decatur and am happy with their service and pricing.

Chris... and not the Kris in their parts department.
Appreciated. Nope, just forgot about them. A bit of a drive, but having one two blocks away has done nothing for me anyway. Thanks for the contact info.
Abyss. yes, sms was the dealer in denton I was talking about. Have family there so I frequent Denton.
Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #783
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

HDB top clamp and hand guards

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I checked my owners manual but couldn't find the info.
I am wanting to buy the HDB KTM specific top clamp and hand guard combo. On his website he lists the ADV version for "fat bars only". Comparing my KTM bars to my wifes CRF bars, the KTM gets larger just past the grip and control area. BUT, are these considered fat bars? I would just go ahead and order the "KTM" kit but am wondering if we already have fat bars if I can go ahead and get the ADV version so I can add some switches and plugs later, also may need a bit of a rise to stand up more comfortably. I bought this to be an ADV bike not a woods racer.

Thanks for any help. I hear he is very busy so I thought I would ask the collective before calling HDB.

Brad
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #784
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I checked my owners manual but couldn't find the info.
I am wanting to buy the HDB KTM specific top clamp and hand guard combo. On his website he lists the ADV version for "fat bars only". Comparing my KTM bars to my wifes CRF bars, the KTM gets larger just past the grip and control area. BUT, are these considered fat bars? I would just go ahead and order the "KTM" kit but am wondering if we already have fat bars if I can go ahead and get the ADV version so I can add some switches and plugs later, also may need a bit of a rise to stand up more comfortably. I bought this to be an ADV bike not a woods racer.

Thanks for any help. I hear he is very busy so I thought I would ask the collective before calling HDB.

Brad
This should answer your questions.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740375

Tell Paul at HDB what bike you have and he will get you the right stuff. But yes you do have the fatbar style.
toddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #785
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I have the HDB gear on my bike. Fat bars is what you want. they are fat where the connect to the bike. On this subject, I just picked up a buzz from the handelbar area of the bike at high rev / high speed. HDB hand gaurds with very nice and cleaver built in mirrors. I can't find the source, anyone else have this anoying problem?
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #786
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetosea View Post
I have the HDB gear on my bike. Fat bars is what you want. they are fat where the connect to the bike. On this subject, I just picked up a buzz from the handelbar area of the bike at high rev / high speed. HDB hand gaurds with very nice and cleaver built in mirrors. I can't find the source, anyone else have this anoying problem?

My last ride out I picked up a buzz.... Found it was coming from the Right mirror rattling against the inside of the BarkBuster. Just need to tighten up the mirror mount....

EDIT: Rather than tightening or possible overtightening, I found a better solution:

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:04 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #787
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidinitaly View Post
Here is a picture of my 500 EXC with the Clever Lever and the Sicass Racing Switch Installed. Tons of clearance, but I did have to cut the front part of the grip back to clear the lever.

I saw you pic and thought I should contribute to the MidWest Mountain C-Lever as well. I noticed that your mounting point for the Hydraulic clutch is further inboard. I've tried to move my further out board to give me as much handle to grab as possible, given the thinner switch housing:

Hope these images help with those interested in getting the MidWest Mountain Engineering C-Lever....

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:05 AM
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #788
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post

Brad
Yes you have fat bars.

Giving Paul a call is a good idea however, he has a 500 EXC (or XC-W) himself so he can advise you on the best setup.

His new damper submount/riser setup is the bomb.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger

LukasM screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 10:52 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #789
tombur
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Is there anybody here who is going to be taking their engine apart or at least taking it out of the frame soon? Im looking to use this engine separate from the bike, and would like to know how much it weighs and perhaps a few internal dimensions.

Thanks in advance!
tombur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #790
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
yes but

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidinitaly View Post
Sicass is plug and play, just order the one made for KTM 07-12. Thats why it's a bit more expensive than HDB.
HDB is so much better!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #791
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombur View Post
Is there anybody here who is going to be taking their engine apart or at least taking it out of the frame soon? Im looking to use this engine separate from the bike, and would like to know how much it weighs and perhaps a few internal dimensions.

Thanks in advance!
I just picked up the KTM repair manual on CD. Art. No. 3.206.112. If you’re going to wrench inside the motor, you might want to pick one up for about $35. I am going to check my valves today. I'm hoping the instructions are clear. Anyone have experience or suggestions on the valve adj? I have heard that most that have checked the valves required no adjustment. I have about 22 hours on the beast so I want to check and see if they are still correct.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #792
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetosea View Post
I just picked up the KTM repair manual on CD. Art. No. 3.206.112. If you’re going to wrench inside the motor, you might want to pick one up for about $35. I am going to check my valves today. I'm hoping the instructions are clear. Anyone have experience or suggestions on the valve adj? I have heard that most that have checked the valves required no adjustment. I have about 22 hours on the beast so I want to check and see if they are still correct.
Did you get it from the local dealer or online somewhere?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #793
Ridetosea
Adventurer

picked it up at the dealer. they ordered it, came in a few days. The CD covers 2008-2012 450- 530.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #794
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombur View Post

Thanks in advance!
Okay, let me be the first to ask, you just bought a 10K dirt bike for the engine? what are your plans and why not pick up a used, pre 2012 bike for a donor engine. That being said, um ah, we want your unused parts....
Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #795
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
I think there are a lot of FSAE teams out there looking at this new engine for their race cars.

FSAE being a student designed/built race car competition:

The FSAE rules have a 600cc limit for engines, any configuration so long as its 4 stroke and below 600cc. Everyone has to run the same restrictor no matter the size. These days, everyone runs fuel injection, so most gravitate to engines that are already injected. Lots of teams run bigger sport bike engines, but more and more are going smaller/lighter and have started using the injected MX engines. The 500 being one of the biggest/lightest out there, I bet it becomes pretty popular.

But I'm just guessing...
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote