ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
JUST a FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Woohoo! They're available from KTM- part number

3.4 gallons!!!

I had ordered the Clockwork tank, which was only 3.1 gallons. However, there was a fitment issue, so they pushed back the order by a couple weeks. The remolded tanks were probably going to lose .1 gallons. I just canceled the Clockworks order!
I just got back from riding for four days in NWA and my XCW has the 3.4 KTM tank on it . The end numbers were very pleasing. we were riding all forest road and roads&trails less traveled as well as over 10 substancial water crossings. My bike averaged 52MPG every tank. that puts me at 176MPT range. I am good with that I dont care about a bigger tank any longer. I did have the original 13/50 gears. Eralier in the month I tried the 14/48's for a short time but the low end tourque was too dinished. the 13/50's are perfect for me. if anyone wants a set of 14/48 with about 25 miles on them left me know.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #842
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceforever View Post
MY NEW TANK !!!!!!

Very Cool, who makes it?
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #843
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
This side tank? is it connected to the fuel system or do you pull it off and pour it in the main tank? Hey, I don't know so I asked...LOL
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #844
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okieboy2 View Post
Samco Sport has a thermostat delete hose kit in the works. KTM-47 is the part number. I got a kit on order.
So I'm new to this forum/thread, however I have read every page anticipating the arrival of my 500. I can't help but point out some of the things I've found while searching around for parts and accessories.

Why would you pay Samco, Moto Hose, CV4 or anyone for that matter $160 or so after shipping to get the thermostat delete kit when you can order the 2012 "1/2" KTM Factory Edition Radiatior Hose for $11.69. KTM Part # 78935024000. The FE Bike has the same engine, frame and radiators, minus the right side radiator with the fan sensor and mini hose for the thermostat. I just ordered this hose and got a plug for the radiator. $15 deletion kit with factory KTM parts. Ya it's not orange and blingy, but isn't the whole bike already show worthy enough? And for those saying it will mess with the cooling operation of the bike, that's not true. Why would KTM run the Factory Edition without the thermostat; it's not needed. If anything there's a chance that thermo could stick or break and really screw things up.
ridethedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #845
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomark39 View Post
There has also been mention of folks in California being fined for removal of plumbing, so some of those guys are releasing the beast but leaving the junk hanging just in case they run into that smartass eco cop
Most guys I know in So cal leave the smog stuff on, however they plug the lines internally. Also they JB Weld the hole of the threaded Secondary Air system that goes into the cylinder head. So it's all there, but it doesn't function. The rangers/cops will never know.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #846
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,571
Good info, thanks! So what kind of plug are you using for the return line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethedesert View Post
So I'm new to this forum/thread, however I have read every page anticipating the arrival of my 500. I can't help but point out some of the things I've found while searching around for parts and accessories.

Why would you pay Samco, Moto Hose, CV4 or anyone for that matter $160 or so after shipping to get the thermostat delete kit when you can order the 2012 "1/2" KTM Factory Edition Radiatior Hose for $11.69. KTM Part # 78935024000. The FE Bike has the same engine, frame and radiators, minus the right side radiator with the fan sensor and mini hose for the thermostat. I just ordered this hose and got a plug for the radiator. $15 deletion kit with factory KTM parts. Ya it's not orange and blingy, but isn't the whole bike already show worthy enough? And for those saying it will mess with the cooling operation of the bike, that's not true. Why would KTM run the Factory Edition without the thermostat; it's not needed. If anything there's a chance that thermo could stick or break and really screw things up.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #847
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Ok I guess it is my day to be the kid in the class with his hand up, What does removing the thermostat accomplish? Does this allow fluid to simply loop through the radiator constantly regardless of temperature. IE, cold fluid just circulates into the radiator, instead of tripping a thermostat to open this circulation or am I way off the mark? I have heard my cooling fan come on on many difficult hill climbs in 40 deg F temperature. The bike gets hot quick when ya got the spurs to her at low to no ground speed.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #848
smoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
fACTORY COOLANT HOSE KIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethedesert View Post

I'm curious, where did you find this part number?
smoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #849
smoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Factory hose "delete kit"

OK I found it!- but what did you make the radiator plug with?
smoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #850
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Bypass Cap Assortment" at Auto Zone. It is #02253 by Dorman for the plug
Hose is Kelly-Springfield #4355, but some trimming needed and it still touches the head....had to zip tie a protector on it. Consider the KTM hose #78935024000 for exact fit.
Buy good clamps

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #851
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
current tweaking

I put my Flexx bars on and a rack for D/S rides...here's a couple of pics. Had to build a heat shield to keep from melting my bags and clamped it to the rack. ( rack is a globetrottin. $373 delivered. Thanks, Harcus...just had to have it after looking at your bike ) The shield was a cut off of a 8" or 10" exhaust pipe I scrounged at a muffle shop.

Here's a shot of the Golan filter wrapped in rubber and the Clockworks tank:

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #852
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
SNIP...

Here's a shot of the Golan filter wrapped in rubber and the Clockworks tank:
In regards to the filter if you put a longer hose from the FI unit down to the QD you wont have to wrap the thing like that.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #853
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceforever View Post
MY NEW TANK !!!!!!

Yes, more info please!

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #854
Ridetosea
Adventurer

checked the valves

I checked the valves at 23 hours. TDC is when the small whole on the timing chain sprocket is at 12 o'clock alined with the dot on the head. They are still within limits. close to the tight end so all is good.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #855
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoose View Post
I'm curious, where did you find this part number?
I found it through ktm-parts.com. Most dealers and websites don't have it listed yet. I'm sure not too many people will be ordering replacement parts for that bike. Only 200 in the US right now, I think 200 more in June or so.