Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #871
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Can anyone tell me the measurement on the exhaust side of the 2 subframe bolts(right side)? I'm looking for a measurement that's center to center on the '12 500 exc. The 2 that are near your calf where the exhaust guard is.
Thanks!

trailjammer screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 01:10 PM Reason: more specific
trailjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #872
Red Barron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
HDB or DoubleTake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I had the DoubleTake mirrors on my WR250R. They were ok, given the earthquake showing in the rear view mirror.....

These kind of mirrors are good for a bike that spends a good portion of their time on the street: Suzuki V-Strom, Yamaha Tenere, KLR, etc.

For a more Dirt-oriented bike, I would highly recommend the HDB mirrors. Of course you'll have to spring for the Bark-busters as well, but they are sooooo worth it...
I agree with SteveO. I have a HDB setup on my 990 Adventure and 500EXC. The 990 Adventure has DoubleTake mirrors and work very well on a larger bike. The 500EXC has the HDB mirrors. Fast and easy to store or use. Completely out of the way when not in use unlike the DoubleTakes.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #873
ksaul
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ok you guys got me...........

CBR1000 is gone and I am back in the game.
I was itching/thinking to get an off road bike again and during the research phase the KTM 500s kept popping up everywhere.
After 5 years with no off-road bike in the garage you guys pushed me over the edge with this thread.
Question: I have a street title and want to plate it up. I was thinking sicass dualsport light kit but the pretty little signals maybe wont last long in the woods of southern Ohio. Now I am thinking I would just like to mount a plate normally on the rear. Can someone please suggest a plate mount that may(or may not) allow me to occasionally sneak by the local constable for quick runs to the beverage store, that will actually stay on during the other 99 percent of the time the bike is ridden off road?
IMG_9001

ksaul screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 06:45 AM Reason: Picture didn't work
ksaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #874
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Fuel line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
In regards to the filter if you put a longer hose from the FI unit down to the QD you wont have to wrap the thing like that.
I considered that, really. It's a temp set up. After looking at the exposure of the line with this tank, I'm thinking about other options in order to keep it away from trauma associated with the way I ride (read: Crash) The key is keeping the QD whithin reach, the Golan easy to clean without removing the tank, and the entire line secure... Still looking for solutions.

Thanks

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #875
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

index is up

We now have our own index thread for easier searching of known issues or mods.

Bikes>
Thumpers>
Sticky: The bike specific index thread

or here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=1

If you want something added, send me a PM

PDMC 38x
Old 04-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #876
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,286
Check your plug if you have a problem! I'm building up two EXCs right now- one for me and the other for my brother. I took out the cannister and SAS on both bikes; did the fuel filter, replaced the keyed ignition with a Sicass switch, replaced the stock turn signal /horn switch and replaced the exhaust with FMF MegaBomb. One started and ran fine- the other would start, but not run. I chased shit for 5 hours. I took out both plugs to compare them against each other. As I was looking, I noticed a crack in the porcelain.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #877
smoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Pirie Performace Products

Has any one here been in touch with P3 ie. Pirie Performance Products https://pirieperfprod.com I emailed them over a week ago and can't get through on the phone. I still have a pipe guard and skid plate on my 08 250 xc-w that has held up wonderfully would really want somenew parts for my 500EXC that will be here in 3 weeks.
smoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #878
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
I considered that, really. It's a temp set up. After looking at the exposure of the line with this tank, I'm thinking about other options in order to keep it away from trauma associated with the way I ride (read: Crash) The key is keeping the QD whithin reach, the Golan easy to clean without removing the tank, and the entire line secure... Still looking for solutions.

Thanks
I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow

ABYSS
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #879
smoose
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaul View Post
CBR1000 is gone and I am back in the game.
I was itching/thinking to get an off road bike again and during the research phase the KTM 500s kept popping up everywhere.
After 5 years with no off-road bike in the garage you guys pushed me over the edge with this thread.
Question: I have a street title and want to plate it up. I was thinking sicass dualsport light kit but the pretty little signals maybe wont last long in the woods of southern Ohio. Now I am thinking I would just like to mount a plate normally on the rear. Can someone please suggest a plate mount that may(or may not) allow me to occasionally sneak by the local constable for quick runs to the beverage store, that will actually stay on during the other 99 percent of the time the bike is ridden off road?

I bought the KTM licence plate reinforcement in the powerrparts cataog it has holes that ine up with the ones on your rear fender so its easy to fit and looks good too.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #880
ksaul
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoose View Post
I bought the KTM licence plate reinforcement in the powerrparts cataog it has holes that ine up with the ones on your rear fender so its easy to fit and looks good too.
Thanks Smoose. I looked online through the catalgue and couldnt find the part your are talking about. Any chance you could give me the part umber or a link?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #881
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Suspension settings

Quote:
We now have our own index thread for easier searching of known issues or mods.

Bikes>
Thumpers>
Sticky: The bike specific index thread

or here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=1

If you want something added, send me a PM

I would like to hear different peoples suspension settings. Suggestions really as places to start for different riding conditions. I realize it is individual taste as to how we each like the bike to feel, but as a new off road rider some quick setting recommendations would be great.
My bike came from dealer with everything set to the sport setting. I commute often and thought that was harsh so I changed almost all settings to the comfort setting and forgot about it until I got a few miles into Wolf Pen Gap Arkansas. Coming off some smallish 3ft jumps I felt like I was bottoming out the bike. Also, if i stayed seated over one of the small jumps the rear end would kick by butt up in the air. I am not sure if rebound damping is too low or if i just let off on the gas too soon and lost enough thrust to keep the whole bike going up, so the front went back down before the rear shock decompressed and shot up. I wasn't carrying a screwdriver or wrench to make any adjustments at the time but that got me thinking about this post.
I realize that these can be different based on how you would like the ride to feel, based on the springs being suited for our body weight, which mine are. I am 180lbs with out gear. So more to the direct question.
What are some settings you guys are using for pure woods/trail riding, if you know there will be a chance of getting some decent air, what would you change? I guess using the same wording the owners manual does would be easiest to copy. Clicks out from all other way in, I believe is how they tell us to set them.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #882
smoose
Adventurer

License plate holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaul View Post
Thanks Smoose. I looked online through the catalgue and couldnt find the part your are talking about. Any chance you could give me the part umber or a link?

try this part # U6908818
Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #883
ksaul
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoose View Post
try this part # U6908818
That looks perfect, thank you very much.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #884
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Suspension settings

A few suspension vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVB-0tW6x4 Setting the sag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsx90eK5D28 Tuning for conditions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRLKg...feature=relmfu Body position and controls

PDMC 38x
Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #885
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
thanks

Quote:

My neck of the woods too. I just may need to go visit them.