Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #931
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceforever View Post
Thanks for the link to the Tank, it's a great piece!

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #932
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Thinking about clearing the garage of all my bikes (except maybe the Ducati) in order to get an EXC 500. I imagine some soft luggage and 2nd set of wheels would make it pretty versatile. Any opinions on attempting to use the 500 as an ONLY bike?

For reference, I ride every month of the year:
Commute
Dual Sport
ADV Tour
Enduro
Sport Tour
Sport Riding
etc, etc, etc.

I realize one bike will be a compromise versus dedicated bikes. I have been doing mostly offroad lately and I am getting tired of continual wrenching in the hopes to keep my current bikes running.
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #933
Chris6_85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I am in the same boat. However I leaning towards the 690r we will see. I'm going to test ride one once they arrive at our local dealership
Chris6_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #934
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris6_85 View Post
I am in the same boat. However I leaning towards the 690r we will see. I'm going to test ride one once they arrive at our local dealership
A year ago when I took the XT600 on an 1800 mile offroad trip, I would have thought the same thing. Since that trip I have found myself less interested in ADV touring and more interested in a bit harsher offroading even it means towing the bike to the trail. It works out better when you leave the family for only 1-2 days at a time instead of 1-2 weeks!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #935
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Question Ok but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceforever View Post
The pictures are nice but where is the pertinant info, size, does it feed into the tank and if so how, where to purchase.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #936
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
For reference, I ride every month of the year:

Commute

Enduro

I realize one bike will be a compromise versus dedicated bikes. I have been doing mostly offroad lately and I am getting tired of continual wrenching in the hopes to keep my current bikes running.
I'm sure it will work fine as your only bike as long as you don't do much tough offroad. Riding offroad eats (and demands) parts faster than anything else. There is simply no way around it, friends asked me what the maintenance was like after selling my XR650R and going to a KTM. I told them it didn't make a difference, riding off road means you will always be working on your bike. There just isn't any way around it.

Now if your not running hard off road in the mud and rutz and instead are just riding around on a gravel road or so you'll be as fine as you can with commuting on a dirtbike. You could do the same thing on a cheaper bike though, then again you would work on that cheaper bike just as much if you take it off road a lot.

YMMV

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #937
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
To be all or not to be?

I find myself asking this same question, can the Orange bike replace the other bikes in the man cave? The battery tender keeps the HD and ZX 14 ready to ride but I find myself ridding only the KTM. I rode the HD with the GF as she has a HD V-Rod and image trumps all in the world of the antiquated cast iron V-twin world. So this fat boy fired up the Fat-boy and off we went. I rode the ZX-14 to work this week and....and....Okay that thing is just so fast. Nothing goes from not to OMG I'm going to loose my driver license faster than the big Ninja. I am pretty sure I am yet to ride it without seeing triple digits on the speedo. In conclusion, I think there are different bike for different occasions and I am blessed to have three very different bikes. Now, if only woman were so understanding.....
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #938
Raceforever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
The pictures are nice but where is the pertinant info, size, does it feed into the tank and if so how, where to purchase.
To request the information you write me an e-mail.
Alberto
DAKAR 2008 CANCELLED
PHARAONS RALLY 2008
AFRICA ECORACE 2010
Raceforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #939
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
I'm sure it will work fine as your only bike as long as you don't do much tough offroad. Riding offroad eats (and demands) parts faster than anything else. There is simply no way around it, friends asked me what the maintenance was like after selling my XR650R and going to a KTM. I told them it didn't make a difference, riding off road means you will always be working on your bike. There just isn't any way around it.

Now if your not running hard off road in the mud and rutz and instead are just riding around on a gravel road or so you'll be as fine as you can with commuting on a dirtbike. You could do the same thing on a cheaper bike though, then again you would work on that cheaper bike just as much if you take it off road a lot.

YMMV
When I first read this, I was in denial. The whole point of the EXC 500 would be to do tough offroad in addition to some easier stuff and street riding. After reading back through the many pages of this thread, I am starting to see the wisdom in this observation. I don't mind regular maintenance that takes less than 1/2 day (oil, filters, suspension, cleaning, etc) but I really don't need more projects that have the bike torn down for weeks at a time, like full engine rebuilds. When I stop to think about the work I have done to keep dirt bikes running versus street bikes, other than the EFI vs Carb thing, the maintenance is much higher.

I'll give it a few more weeks and finish fixing up a couple bikes and then re-evaluate. It is just very tempting when the local dealer has one in stock and on sale through the end of April.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #940
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
clean house

I sold 3 bikes to get the EXC and have not looked back. I was spending more time messing with carbs and trying to keep everything running and it seemed that these bikes only served one purpose each... trails, fire roads, racing... Now one bike replaces 3, and i'm having more fun than ever. It took some soul searching, but I just had to pull the trigger to get things rolling. The next thing I knew, I was taking pictures and posting adds, taking calls and collecting $$$. The old saying that 'He who has the most toys wins', isn't true at all it seems. With so many toys, you don't have time to enjoy them all and become enslaved to maintenance likend to a car buff working behind the parts counter at Autozone. That is far, far away from my dreams of riding, racing and exploring the backroads of this country...Unless you can't ride for medical reasons and have taken on wrenching to keep in touch with it, which I respect.

Good luck with your decision!

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #941
1Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Man, you guys are making it tough... Read the entire thread over the last couple weeks, and these last posts about replacing other bikes...I really think I want to get one of these-

Means the SE has to go...but I'm starting to get more comfortable with that idea.

Now, if I could just find one up here. Found some 350 exc's, no 500's.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #942
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,359
HS - same kind of deal here. I in 2 weekends I sold my Vmax and 640e on the CL. The day after I sold my KTM I added another. A pre owned 500 with 650 miles and some little street tires - too much for the PO and already tricked out some. I put the unused dirt wheels and tires (that came with it) on yesterday as well as a 14 front and took it for a ride off road. All I can say is WOW! Huge step up from the LC4 and will meet all my needs. Now I did keep my HD for road work and TW for around town. But with the 2 sets of wheels I think I have 2 bikes in one so back to 4 ha.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #943
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
You guys are really making me think. I was planning on selling my 100 but wanted to keep my 200 "in case" I ever get out to do some real dirt riding... and keep the 640 for my planned Divide trip; however with two young kids, the odds of me getting out this year are slim at best. I might end up selling them all and banking the money for a couple of years (once the kids get older) then get a 500 EXC or whatever the 2016 version is!
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #944
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
More truthful words

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
I sold 3 bikes to get the EXC and have not looked back. I was spending more time messing with carbs and trying to keep everything running and it seemed that these bikes only served one purpose each... trails, fire roads, racing... Now one bike replaces 3, and i'm having more fun than ever. It took some soul searching, but I just had to pull the trigger to get things rolling. The next thing I knew, I was taking pictures and posting adds, taking calls and collecting $$$. The old saying that 'He who has the most toys wins', isn't true at all it seems. With so many toys, you don't have time to enjoy them all and become enslaved to maintenance likend to a car buff working behind the parts counter at Autozone. That is far, far away from my dreams of riding, racing and exploring the backroads of this country...Unless you can't ride for medical reasons and have taken on wrenching to keep in touch with it, which I respect.

Good luck with your decision!
have never been written
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #945
juvander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Has somebody put this http://trailtech.net/ktm-x2-hid-kits.html into 500 exc? Any experience with it? Does not mention if the electric upgrade is needed for 500 exc on Trailtcech pages, but probably needed for this to work?
juvander is offline   Reply With Quote