Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #946
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Here's my solution to the question of running the license plate in the vertical position for on the trail or Horizontal to be legal on the road....why not both. I call it the Twist-A-Plate and It quickly allows you to run the plate in either position you choose, you can be legal when you need to be!

So far it's mounted on my 530, should work great on the 500 as well with the KTM LED tailight/sub fender assy. If anyone wants to try one on their 500 I'd sell the first one for $20 so I could verify fitment. Anyone interested?

Here's a link to the vendors forum: CLICK HERE

From this

To This.....in seconds...

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #947
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rider View Post
Man, you guys are making it tough... Read the entire thread over the last couple weeks, and these last posts about replacing other bikes...I really think I want to get one of these-

Means the SE has to go...but I'm starting to get more comfortable with that idea.

Now, if I could just find one up here. Found some 350 exc's, no 500's.
I sold my 06 CRF450R and plated 98 XR400 to get this bike. No qualms at all. The bike rips on the trails, tight single track, freeway, backroads, and even on the track.
ridethedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #948
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
N-Style Factory Edition Graphics

Ordered the N-Style Factory KTM graphics kit. Looks just like the factory edition minus the Red Bull logos.
ridethedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #949
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Hello all,

Just picked up my 500 exc today. Thanks for all the information that has been provided so far. Excited to get out and give it a good ride and start making it my own.

Rob,
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #950
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Now go break it in

Remember the 1 hr break in oil/filter change.... toss the smog crap and flog it!

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #951
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,761
I currently have an 08 530 EXC.
My wife drove me to my local KTM dealer yesterday to pick up my 990 Adv from getting an Akro map installed.
While waiting, my wife saw me oggling 500EXC.
After I left, my wife stayed behind and put a deposit on it..

Yep, she's a keeper....

Now, to sell the 530....
"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #952
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
tank info for index thread

Hey guys, I want to get some info for the index thread on different gas tanks yall have tried and like/don't like.
I am planning on the ktm13l tank but just wanted to know of the tanks that are coming later, is there any more info available from the manufacturers and of the ones already out, positives and negatives.
Looks like the index thead needs some seat info. Fischer, seat concepts... does renazco have one yet?
thx
Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #953
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,359
Well I turned it into a dirt bike this week. It came with supermoto 17's mounted and and an extra set of unused dirt wheels and tires. Glad to see it in dirt bike trim . Gave it it's 15 hr oil change, went from a 15 to a 14 (kept the stock 45) and took it for a rip. Gearing felt perfect for FL, well see how it does on an extended test Sunday.

This bikes going to be a lot of FUN!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #954
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Hey guys, I want to get some info for the index thread on different gas tanks yall have tried and like/don't like.
I am planning on the ktm13l tank but just wanted to know of the tanks that are coming later, is there any more info available from the manufacturers and of the ones already out, positives and negatives.
Looks like the index thead needs some seat info. Fischer, seat concepts... does renazco have one yet?
thx
Tanks:

Clockworks 3.2
  • keeps factory shrouds
  • early versions had plastic pump securing plates that weeped fuel. Now fixed with a billett fixture
  • comes with fuel pump extension tubes and ok directions
  • tough to thread the pump into place but just have patience...
Factory KTM 3.5
  • Incorporated shrouds in tank for more volume
  • still looks clean and thin
  • owners like it and have may have more to tell
Seats:

Renazco...Waay backed up as of 3-15-12
  • You see a lot of them on DS bikes
  • spendy
Fischer... Positive comments on this thread...see the thread index

Seat concepts... DIY seat.
  • This is the one I chose
  • DIY was easy
  • Get a HFT air stapler, wide crown for the job
  • comes with foam, great instructions, seat cover.
  • 10x more comfy than the stock plank
Thumpers > Sticky>The Bike Specific Index Thread or...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....97&postcount=1

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #955
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvander View Post
Has somebody put this http://trailtech.net/ktm-x2-hid-kits.html into 500 exc? Any experience with it? Does not mention if the electric upgrade is needed for 500 exc on Trailtcech pages, but probably needed for this to work?

I got one for my 500exc. Haven't put it on yet, when I talked to a dude at trailtech he said 100% plug and play. The stator throws out a lot of current on these bikes. It is totally enclosed, just plug the wire from the light into the stock lighting harness and good to go.

Has anybody on hear dealt with super plush suspensions? I'm sending them my forks and shock on monday, total respring and revalve. I'm 6'9' and 265 lbs. They look like they know what there doing.
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #956
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiller View Post
I got one for my 500exc. Haven't put it on yet, when I talked to a dude at trailtech he said 100% plug and play. The stator throws out a lot of current on these bikes. It is totally enclosed, just plug the wire from the light into the stock lighting harness and good to go.

Has anybody on hear dealt with super plush suspensions? I'm sending them my forks and shock on monday, total respring and revalve. I'm 6'9' and 265 lbs. They look like they know what there doing.
I would recommend the highway dirtbikes riser and handguard setup for your height, it would help with your ergonomics. In the interest of full disclosure, the owner is a friend of mine.

toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #957
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvander View Post
Has somebody put this http://trailtech.net/ktm-x2-hid-kits.html into 500 exc? Any experience with it? Does not mention if the electric upgrade is needed for 500 exc on Trailtcech pages, but probably needed for this to work?
I returned my x2 and decided to go a different direction. The factory wiring bracket on my EXC interfered with the back of the x2, which is deeper than OE headlight. The best option to make this work IMHO, is to eliminate the factory wiring bracket and relocate all the wire looms and connectors down lower. It's plug and play after that
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #958
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 735
+1 hdb, paul's scotts kit fit like a glove on my EXC...customer for life...

dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #959
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
More EXC frame update info

Here is a link to KTM where they make mention of the 2012 SixDays model using the newer EXC Homologated rule frame. This may be why we haven't seen a SixDays addition in the U.S. yet. We may see it in 2013 with the newer frame. Just speculation and FYI.

http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_news2/...Bike_Order.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigothic View Post
2012 500EXC on top and the newer 2012/2013 450SXF "Homologation Rule Frame" on the bottom.

It does appear that the newer frame does lean the motor forward a tad more. I doubt the "HRF" can use the same PDF shock due to the mounting point being too far back in the frame. There may be no way of utilizing the same frame for two different types of bikes without even more modifing . I guess raising the swing arms mounting point aft would work placing the shock even more horizontal by a few degrees. But hey I'm not an engineer.

Remember this is being done to address AMA MX rules. I don't race so I don't know if the same rules would apply to Enduro races as well. This seems to have come from KTM fielding a bike that is not available to the public yet as a production race model after the fact. The "HRF" seems to have more in common with the current 2012 EXC frames than either one have with the older SXF or EXCs of 2011. Hence the the newer gen. "HRF" and current 2012 EXC frames could stay the same for a while. Just a guess. These are different tools for different missions. Time will tell.

side note : the current non "HRF" 450SXF frame came out in 2011 this would mean only a two yr run for this chassis and a one yr. run for the current 2012 EXC if it were to change.

More on the "HRF" 2013 450SXF http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Ma...0SXF-8333.aspx

Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #960
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,359
Took it for a nice 2.5 hour ride in the woods of Fl this morning. It was only the 2nd time off road and defiantly answered a lot of questions. It rained a bunch last night and the palms were wet and the sand packed. I enjoyed getting up and going for a ride after a cup of java. I hit some trails west of I-95 where development has yet to kick in. I need some seat time to get a feel for this sucker. It took much less effort to be smooth and the bike feels real light . I felt faster than on my old bike!

The beach is not the only place you'll find white sand. Cool to get out of town an into nature I saw 2 deer and a family of pigs.

One lesson learned was to respect the 500 . The power delivery is different than my old 640e. It will take some getting used to. I watched super-cross last night and got a little over confident on my first long section of whoops and had to lay her down . We got a lot of whoops and this was my first time on the new bike. I started to lift the front end and carry over the second a few times and got out of rhythm. It just tossed me off to the side but.........

I replaced em with some mini LED's that if got at J&P's but I just see these busting off in the future . I do dig how they match the break light.
I want a set that sits more flush. Seen em but don't know who makes em - they were with a fender/tail light deal????
The little horn had no problem with the flop in the soft sand but some kind a radiator guard is needed.

Colemanfu screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 05:29 PM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote