Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #961
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
+1 hdb, paul's scotts kit fit like a glove on my EXC...customer for life...

I see you have a Scott's damper. Is the throttle cable guide attached to the Scott's? I am going to mount up a scott's on mine, havent really looked into it yet....

I like the HDB stuff, looks really good. When he comes out with a case/protector for the TT Voyager I'm gonna install the whole system.
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #962
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
So sorry to burst your bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethedesert View Post
From what I've heard Rotella is really good stuff. That's who Rekluse recommends. Mobil 1 is good for a car. It's not good for a motorcycle. Car oils now have reduced amounts of nickel and other key ingredients that motorcycle oil still contains. This is what our Maxima rep tells us so take it with a grain of salt. However I have read that to meet emissions, car oils are now having less and less of the good stuff.

But he was talking about motorcycle oil buddy not automotive oil.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #963
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiller View Post
I see you have a Scott's damper. Is the throttle cable guide attached to the Scott's? I am going to mount up a scott's on mine, havent really looked into it yet....

I like the HDB stuff, looks really good. When he comes out with a case/protector for the TT Voyager I'm gonna install the whole system.
Clean Speed Engineering makes the cable guide and yes it attaches directly to the Scotts, great piece!
http://www.cleanspeedeng.com/

Paul at HDB does already have a Voyager protector, get in touch with him by email as it's not on the site yet. Fantastic quality pieces as well!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #964
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
So, fuel range on the stock tank seems to vary greatly, understandable considering different riding environments and style. I have not had mine long enough to really get an idea of what my range will be. I have a ride that I am going on next weekend that I will need to cover 130 miles. Any input on how much extra I need to carry to make 130 miles of desert without worry?

Rob,
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #965
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
So, fuel range on the stock tank seems to vary greatly, understandable considering different riding environments and style. I have not had mine long enough to really get an idea of what my range will be. I have a ride that I am going on next weekend that I will need to cover 130 miles. Any input on how much extra I need to carry to make 130 miles of desert without worry?

Rob,

Just to be safe, I carry an additional 3 liters of Fuel when going on extended runs.

3.8L = 1 Gallon.

typically, the 500 will get close to 50 mpg, if you aren't spinning the tire too much in the sand. I usually get about 100 miles to the tank before the Fuel Light comes on......

When I was spinning the tire in the sand, I pulled in 75 miles before the fuel light came on. I usually carry two 1.5L Primus Fuel bottles:
Primus P-732531 - Fuel Bottle 1.5L

This additional 3 liters of fuel should give you another 40 miles or so, knowing that you are on reserves, so the tire spinning should cease and desist.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 10:34 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #966
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Thumb New forum member , new 500 EXC owner

I think it took me 2 days to read this entire thread and Im so thankful you all took the time to write it.
I bought my bike actually without ever seeing or even sitting on it IRL. I did sit on a 450 xc-w and a 530 because they did not have any EXCs but then called another dealer and they told me they only had a 500. Did a little windows shopping on KTM.com and went up and bought it. Signed all the papers, drove back to my state to register it and then back for the bike. FINALLY I saw it and rode it around the parking lot. Killer! Last dirt bike I had was probably a 1978 KE175 in the long list of 80's and 90's versions of XR, XL, KDX, KX, RM, ZX, SXV and even Ducati 1100S Hyper at the end and in the end I traded the Hyper in for the 500 exc. I feel like the smartest man in the world right now. lol.

Hope my first post isn't that ridiculous but again thanks for the info and letting me be a part of the forums.

Also, Colemanfu, I was feeling the same way about having a supermoto in Fl. ... but then I took a ride with the nut jobs on Supermotojunkie on the "T-DOG invades Orlando" ride and they taught me a lesson. You just need to know where to ride em. Of course I am bias being a true supermoto fan above all other types of riding, haha! I also live in one of the few perfect areas to own a supermoto (Ct.) with plenty of technical twisties combined with many a dirt road and trail. Such an awesome modification. So if you want to throw those silly supermoto wheels out you can use my trash can. Actually I have a Boulevard 800 down there that I'm looking to get rid of if ya want to do some trading. Maybe this is best kept in a PM not too sure on policies here as Ive just arrived ?? Anyways I'll be back in Daytona for bike week next yr. You think I could bring my 500 as well and you could take me on some dirt rides? You could throw your supermoto set on and join me in a tag along (on my SXV550) supermoto ride with the Fl. boys. Last ride was one I will never forget and they claim they get better every year!!
Dirty in all is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #967
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
+1 hdb, paul's scotts kit fit like a glove on my EXC...customer for life...

Is that a HDB billet protector for your speedo?? I didn't see that one on their website... I need one like that on my Husaberg.
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one)
05 Honda 650L
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #968
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post

Rob,
That would take 5 gallons for me on the mild setting. I get about 65 miles per tank before dry. Desert singletrack riding.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #969
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBlack View Post
Is that a HDB billet protector for your speedo?? I didn't see that one on their website... I need one like that on my Husaberg.
Yes, that is an HDB billet protector. Send Paul an email.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #970
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
map switch

I want to dig this up again...
I just got off the phone with a dealer (not my local dealer) that indicated it was possible to load the xcw map onto the exc. This would unlock the ecm and make the sicass racing map switch functional. They have the bike, and have done this. There are a few of you out there that have mentioned the switch working on your bike, and then there are people saying it won't work (one of which is a guy that works at a ktm dealer).
A few things caused the purchase of this bike. A trade in, current inventory where they took my trade, things like that. I would like the MILD map for a while, till I get my dirt legs back. It's been 20+ years since I have ridden a small dirt bike. Plus I would imagine the mild map makes slower speed more manageable. Even with 14/48, this bike is either off gas or READY TO GO!!!
How much more mild is the EXC map than the XCW map to begin with? Do I already have the mild map on the exc? The guy I spoke with said the bike with FMF and wild map on was "almost" unrideable. Ridiculous power. He compared it to a CR500.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #971
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
XC-W map in EXC

I had my dealer put the XC-W map in my exc. My thoughts, as well as the dealer, was that after removing the smog equipment I now had the same setup as an XC-W. I noticed a large improvement in low speed low RPM throttle response. With the stock map the bike would stumble or even stall when encountering a Single track, hair pin turn into a steep climb. I would have to work the clutch to keep the bike running and stay in the power. Unfortunately they also noted that my idle speed was way too low and an adjusted the idle so this could be more responsible for the increased performance in this situation then the map as we changed more than one variable. That being said, they put the map in, corrected the idle all while putting in the new fuel filters and the price was zero. Best of all my bike runs so much better.
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #972
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,712
What I was told at KTM Tech School - EXC and XC-W maps were the same and both were locked. They are both 'Green Sticker' and can't be modified. They both have only one internal map, no 'Soft Map', no 'Aggressive Map'.

Thanks California!

The SX and XCF maps are open, since they are not 'Green Sticker'.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #973
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
What I was told at KTM Tech School - EXC and XC-W maps were the same and both were locked. They are both 'Green Sticker' and can't be modified. They both have only one internal map, no 'Soft Map', no 'Aggressive Map'.

Thanks California!

The SX and XCF maps are open, since they are not 'Green Sticker'.
I don't doubt you are just passing on information you were given. What I wonder is, is it 100% accurate on THEIR part. All I have heard about the XC-W is that it rips... well to me, this de-smogged EXC rips (my arms off) too, plus it is very twitchy in the lower revs. Is that due to the light flywheel? Am I just used to the way a 500lb bike reacts and I will adapt?
Inmate Toddler is using the switch, Evil K is too I believe.
What are they getting with the map switch?
I'm just curious as too the different experiences that are being documented.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #974
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Front axle puller

I picked up a front axle puller. Whats the best way to remove the part that the puller replaces?I was thinking really long screw driver, and tap it out from the other side? Also whats a good technique to install the puller? Tap it in with a brass hammer?

I am also interested in the computer locked, unlocked deal.... I guess just have to wait for a PC

I can't stand Cali sometimes, at least up here we don't have to deal with the green police!!
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #975
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiller View Post
I picked up a front axle puller. Whats the best way to remove the part that the puller replaces?I was thinking really long screw driver, and tap it out from the other side? Also whats a good technique to install the puller? Tap it in with a brass hammer?

I am also interested in the computer locked, unlocked deal.... I guess just have to wait for a PC

I can't stand Cali sometimes, at least up here we don't have to deal with the green police!!
For the axle puller, you are correct on both accounts. I would imagine you got the one with the "star" nut to hold it in place. Just run the star nut down the threads (to make the whole assembly loose in your hands) and then tap it in with a rubber mallet. You want it loos so when you tighten the allen bolt, it will pull the handle and the star nut together, lodging the star nut within the axle. Should take you no more than 10 minutes tops...

Keep the Rubber Side Down
reidinitaly is offline   Reply With Quote