Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #1006
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I had Woody build me a nice one for my 530.

HOW much??

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #1007
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
You haven't lived your life without one - look at your ZX14 rear hub !
The rubber dampers absorb the shock of the drivetrain instead of transfering it to your clutch/transmission.
Part#92161 DAMPER,SHOCK,RR HUB

- M
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #1008
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
THX! That is what Evil K has now that you mention that. I have it bookmarked but didn't realize it was different than map switch. Is that something that requires Dyno to tune or do they have preset settings? I will check their info... thanks again for the reminder about that.
The instructions say the controller is pre-programmed with a recommended setting as delivered. It really comes alive with the settings they put it at. I'm just leaving it at that. Their are 2 pages of instructions for tuning if you would like to change them. You can change Idle fuel, Low, Mid, and High (accelerator pump).

ridethedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #1009
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
What are those tires, and how did you like them? I just ordered some Shinko 705's in 18/21 until I can scrounge up enough coin for SUMOs. Which might be a while after the 13l tank, bash plate, SICASS lights, and the invoice I got from HDB today for the whole shebang on the handlebars....
They are the Avon Gripster AM24 Tires. The fronts are still available, for some reason they discontinued the 18 inch rear. They are good for the street and light dirt. I primarily use them for when I'm riding around town. Shinko makes some good tires. I wish the US would import Maxxis Dual Sport tires.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #1010
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBlack View Post
Ok I have a question as I have not tried the JD box yet... Isn't the JD Jetting 6x turner for adjusting the "fuel" map and the handle bar mount switch for switching between the "soft / aggressive" ignition map??
Yes the tuner just changes the fuel injection/mapping. You can run a switch with the tuner. The tuner plugs in at the fuel injection body, electrical connector in the stock wiring harness and a ground wire.

The tuner plugs in under the seat. Run them both.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #1011
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
What did those run you? I also did the Sicass LED treatment but only in the rear.
I got the Excels on closeout for $615 for both the front and the rear. The front Sicass LED's are really easy. It's one bolt and plug. It was weird though that you have to rewire the indicator bulb to get the flasher to work properly. I'd never seen that before.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #1012
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_jedi View Post
Interested in 500EXC owners thoughts:... not that anyone has had to break into their clutch, but.

Through hours of internet and ADV research on the 500exc I'm obsessed- and need to buy one, though one detail I can't figure out - the new clutch incorporates "transmission friendly back-damping". I assume this is some type of cush mechanism, but what is it? I can't find any pictures or details anywhere. The KTM literature is vague, and I assume no one has had to put a new clutch assembly in their 500 yet to see what's actually going on...

There's definitely plenty of talk that the 500exc may not make the best adventure bike due to lack of cush drive rear hub, and some other small issues like fuel and oil capacity. Just wondering if KTM actually addressed the cush issue from the factory. Definitely something good to figure out before investing money in some Excels.

thoughts? would a cush drive still be necessary?

on a similar note: I also found that many street bikes incorporate rubberized front sprockets. Trying to figure out now if it's actually something that separates the middle from outer splines/teeth, or just rubberized to lessen chain noise. thoughts on that too would be great.
I think Talon makes a cush drive rear hub/sprocket combo. In my thoughts it can't hurt to get the extra cush in the rear, but I think that was the point of the new Brembo clutch. Why else would it have a cushion? Maybe to save wear on parts?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #1013
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Anyone ever tried or seen these? Its a cush sprocket. I'm not sure I would trust it.

http://www.kushsprockets.com/sprockets
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #1014
ridethedesert
Adventurer

RLR Coolant Recovery Tank

Got my RLR CRT in the mail today. The guy I met had installed his on the rear left side panel. I didn't like that because it could get hit by the rear tire and you could see the bolts/rivets on the side panel. I chose to put mine inside the air box. Hose routing actually worked out really well.

(Yes I know this is a run on sentence)...
I followed the breather hose for the fuel cap, then shot behind the frame over the rear shock, drilled a hole through the white airbox plastic, there was a nice black carrier inside as if ktm knew the hose was coming, wrapped it down around the air filter to the bottom of the tank, then out the top and over the battery back down and out the vent hole on the bottom of the air box.

Anytime I filled the radiator so just the fins are covered inside, it will spill out through the overflow. All over my clutch case and my boots. Enough of that. This cost me $31 and should help keep more coolant in the system for those single track, Snowy Trail, days.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #1015
ridethedesert
Adventurer

6x tuner

For those who may be interested, I mounted the 6x tuner on the air box panel/plastic. JD recommends the front right frame or the number plate. I don't want anyone seeing it so I like this spot better. It came with velcro so you can separate it from the panel if needed. I had to remove the factory sticker to mount the velcro. It wasn't water proof anyway. It already looked like crap.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #1016
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVELKNIEVEL View Post
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/931...0500-xc-w-ecu/ heres 2pages on the plug ins i ordered my yesterday
from sicass theres a guy plugged ihis in with out unlocking i let you guys know if it works for me

happy landings

evel knievel
EK I would love to hear personally how they work for you.
This sounds very similar to a plug-in for the Triumph Tiger I traded for this bike. I hope so.
And the link to the Oregon site at the end of that great TT thread, is E-Ticket, the guy I mentioned up a few posts... he mirrored his thread from ktmt. may shoot him a PM while we are on topic.

edit: and ridethedesert, thanks again for your contributions as well. I would love to hear your opinions of off idle, mild mannered riding conditions with the tuner. thanks

Lulu7404 screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 02:04 PM
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #1017
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
HOW much??
Lots , but I got a bit back for trading in the rear hub, it was practically new.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #1018
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,761
Bought a RAD Cush hub built on an Excel rim for $820aud delivered to Australia from WWW for my Berg.
You can notice the smoother take up and ride on the bitumen and hard dirt roads.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #1019
Honda_jedi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Kushsprockets

ridethedesert Yesterday 10:01 PM
Anyone ever tried or seen these? Its a cush sprocket. I'm not sure I would trust it.

http://www.kushsprockets.com/sprockets

Nice find. more research on that one to see if anyone has 1) put any kind of power through one (like 55hp/40 ftlb) and 2) that they at least last long enough for the chain ring to wear out.

seems like a reasonable price when a steel sprocket is about $45, and one of the Supersprox combo sprockets is $90 or so. This is about $100 and says it has aluminum center section and steel chain ring. I'll see if anyone out there has ever validated the longevity of the 'made in china' quality...
Honda_jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #1020
Honda_jedi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
KushSprockets

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/879468-kush-sprocket/

mixed results all over different forums. sounds like a bad first batch of parts (late 2010, early 2011 timeframe). Subsequent better design. Though no one has reported more than 1000 miles. Two guys reported (one at 450 miles, one at 1000) that they were still going strong.

Plenty reported they were still waiting on their product to be shipped. sounds like a halfway decent product with poor business management... Also, if you think about it, there's just not enough rubber in there to get the job done. Lots of load over a small area = rubber damper separation.

And then again the other way to look at it is - why spend $10,000 on a machine and skimp on a made in China sprocket! I guess I had to reach down and find my berries for a second. $800 for a rear rim sucks, but a kush sprocket failure that takes out your swing arm would suck worse.
Honda_jedi is offline   Reply With Quote