Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #1036
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Swapped out the gears on my EXC yesterday (14/48 NOW) and took it for a spin in the mountains today. Picking my way down one of the dirt roads and I still think I need lower gearing. I'm not a very experienced off-road rider yet, so others would probably like what I've got to work with for the type of riding that I do. I found myself going back and forth between 1st and 2nd. This particular road is in fairly good condition and I was riding in the downhill direction. It isn't the type of road that inspires confidence though. While it's not heavily rutted or washed out, it does have some loose dirt over a lightly rutted hard base but what forces me to be cautious at my skill level is that it is heavily strewn with loose rocks varying from 1" to fist sized. I haven't been down on this bike yet (I know that it's coming eventually) but I really don't what to eat it on this particular road since it will probably be in a corner and there is NO shoulder and the average drop off the outside of a corner is 30'. Bouncing between 1st and 2nd isn't making my life any easier.

I've got a 13T CS sprocket, will that be enough of an additional difference or will I have to replace the rear as well? I figured that the 48T rear would be sufficient so I bought a good one the first time around so I'd hate to have to go with a different one.

ETA: I'm about 225# without gear. I know the rear in particular is soft for my weight. What rate spring do I need to firm it up?
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #1037
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,176
:

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 04:32 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #1038
SteveO
Huh???

Wow, where is everbody? This thread just seems to have died off.....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #1039
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Pretty slow in this thread for now it looks like. I am also very interested in any experience with the larger tank, tire of lugging around an extra gallon and a half in my back pack.
I had a long ride last weekend, about 300 miles mostly dirt and know some of the ergonomics changes I need to do very soon. The seat is torture, need a higher seat, lower pegs, taller bars with some risers. Probably going to go with the dirt bike highway guards, riser for a Scott damper and their top brace. I am 6' 6" tall and can not stand on the bike at all as it is now.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #1040
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hopefully everybody is out riding!! I wish I was, haven't even fired up my bike, its sitting waiting for the suspension to be put back on. I am waiting for the suspension so I can put it back on. Sent it to Super Plush Suspension, there gonna do it right for me, DLC coating and revalved and resprung.

Nobody has a torque spec for the top engine mount bolts? I asked the local dealership and they don't even know??

peace
JP
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #1041
Hukamosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Look in the manual that came w/ the bike. towards the back of the book are torque specs for the bike. I don't have mine w/ me at the moment but will check when I gat a chance. You could check ktmtalk.com as well-wealth of info there.
Hukamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #1042
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
torque specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiller View Post

Nobody has a torque spec for the top engine mount bolts? I asked the local dealership and they don't even know??

peace
JP
When I pulled the canister, I used "engine attachment bolt" M10 60Nm or 44.3 lb/ft.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #1043
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I plan to just leave that mounting tab there. Might mount the horn to it.

Possible that you just had a bad bolt?
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #1044
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,357
Took my 3 week old bike to the woods of NC this weekend. Bike did great - me just ok ha. I now understand why some want to gear so low. 14/45 felt about perfect but a 48 on the back would shorten it up some and slow me down on the down hill.

Check out the creative parking.

Only problem was the low beam going out. Not a big deal cause I don't ride at night much. I am looking for a replacement that won't break in 30 hours of use. Any suggestions for a replacement bulb?

Lot's of orange in the top of the hill club.

Colemanfu screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 10:23 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #1045
SteveO
Huh???

I was just about to pull the trigger on the larger Acerbis tank from JustGasTanks when I decided to find out if the tank was actually in stock.

It's not in stock yet.... bummer.

Ben stated they should be getting the larger 5.3 gallon tanks next week.

Based on previous riding mileage in different terrains, i'm thinking the 5.3 gallon may be what I need.

I was able to get ~37.5 mpg when riding in deep sand, dirt roads, etc.
When riding mostly on dirt roads, I was able to get about 50 mpg.

So, I thinking with the 5.3 gallon tank, I should safely get between 180 miles per tank and 250 miles per tank, based upon the wheel spin....

Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #1046
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post

Only problem was the low beam going out. Not a big deal cause I don't ride at night much. I am looking for a replacement that won't break in 30 hours of use. Any suggestions for a replacement bulb?

Funny you mention that. Mine went out at about 14 hours. I was wondering, since I don't ride much at night either, if leaving the high beam on for street was too hard on stator? The way it is now, on low beam i have no light, which is what i wanted for trail use anyway...
I am interested in replacement bulbs too of course.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #1047
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Funny you mention that. Mine went out at about 14 hours. I was wondering, since I don't ride much at night either, if leaving the high beam on for street was too hard on stator? The way it is now, on low beam i have no light, which is what i wanted for trail use anyway...
I am interested in replacement bulbs too of course.
YEA ME TOO MINE BLEW LAST MONTH THE SICASS HALLAGEN WORKS GREAT

EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #1048
tenerejay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
tank and suspension

Hey guys - In response to the 5.3 tank - I have an xr650 that I put one on and with fuel it changes the dynamics of the bike - definitely counteracts what was meant to be (high weight) - that being said I also just purchased a 500 exc and immediately ordered the 3.4 tank - should be the perfect compromise from KTM hard parts and if you work your local rep you can get it for 250 bucks - I sat on one with it and couldnt tell a difference (it was empty as well) but it was designed by acerbis for KTM to not/limit the effects of added weight up high - this beast was designed this way for a reason and its when you are doing something that you always have and a slip or slide happens that the extra weight comes in to place, and not usually a good outcome because of the added weight up high - just my .02 cents
Suspension - I am 260 lbs and had my bike sprung for me before I picked it up - The KTM dealer used race tech springs - the rear is progressive - because I am a trail rider and not a MX rider (only occassionaly) I had them spring it for a 240 to 250 lb rider to allow me to have it a little soft and to avoid revalving - I believe I made the right choice - when I first picked it up it was like a two by four - solid as hell - took it home and set all the suspension to the comfort level as indicated by the book you received with your bike and its freakin awesome. I imagine as I keep breaking it in i will adjust accordingly, but cant imagine having to revalve it - btw i ride in north ga on diamond rated trails at Highland Park and this thing eats up all the trails you throw at it (rider limited) - if you mx spring for your weight, if trails are your thing shoot for 20-40lbs under when picking springs - If you are unsure go to racetech.com and call and speak to someone there, they will help you find the right set up
tenerejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #1049
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenerejay View Post
Hey guys - In response to the 5.3 tank - I have an xr650 that I put one on and with fuel it changes the dynamics of the bike - definitely counteracts what was meant to be (high weight) - that being said I also just purchased a 500 exc and immediately ordered the 3.4 tank - should be the perfect compromise from KTM hard parts and if you work your local rep you can get it for 250 bucks - I sat on one with it and couldnt tell a difference (it was empty as well) but it was designed by acerbis for KTM to not/limit the effects of added weight up high - this beast was designed this way for a reason and its when you are doing something that you always have and a slip or slide happens that the extra weight comes in to place, and not usually a good outcome because of the added weight up high - just my .02 cents
Suspension - I am 260 lbs and had my bike sprung for me before I picked it up - The KTM dealer used race tech springs - the rear is progressive - because I am a trail rider and not a MX rider (only occassionaly) I had them spring it for a 240 to 250 lb rider to allow me to have it a little soft and to avoid revalving - I believe I made the right choice - when I first picked it up it was like a two by four - solid as hell - took it home and set all the suspension to the comfort level as indicated by the book you received with your bike and its freakin awesome. I imagine as I keep breaking it in i will adjust accordingly, but cant imagine having to revalve it - btw i ride in north ga on diamond rated trails at Highland Park and this thing eats up all the trails you throw at it (rider limited) - if you mx spring for your weight, if trails are your thing shoot for 20-40lbs under when picking springs - If you are unsure go to racetech.com and call and speak to someone there, they will help you find the right set up
dang, now ya got me thinking about the 3.4gal tank......

Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #1050
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,026
I'd hate to destroy how the bike handles with to much fuel or the ergos with a massive tank all that fuel upfront won't be good , So safari should be doing a rear tank you could share the load between front and back , balance the bike and still have it handle ok ,

I will go for a clockwork tank 13L and if i have to a 8L rear tank
thay do make a 5.5 L tank for the WR looks nice a clean it might fit .
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote