Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #1051
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
.......... I was wondering, since I don't ride much at night either, if leaving the high beam on for street was too hard on stator? .......................
I'm a mechanical dolt so excuse me if I'm waaaay off base. The stator operates (a copper wound electrical device) by having the magnetic flywheel spinning around it to generate electrical charging. Any excess voltage is dissipated through the regulator as heat. I can't see how it could be damaging to the stator since it makes electricity anytime the crank spins, no matter what the electrical bulbs are doing.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #1052
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I'm a mechanical dolt so excuse me if I'm waaaay off base. The stator operates (a copper wound electrical device) by having the magnetic flywheel spinning around it to generate electrical charging. Any excess voltage is dissipated through the regulator as heat. I can't see how it could be damaging to the stator since it makes electricity anytime the crank spins, no matter what the electrical bulbs are doing.
Yup, that's how it works. The stator is always under full load in a permanent magnet (sp?) charging system, excess gets dissipated in heat through the R/R.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #1053
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,174
Checkin in for a mileage report....

Can you fellas drop some mileage numbers accumulated to date so far....?
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #1054
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
According to my "Acar" phone app....

1,125 miles in 5 months, 23 days with a total ride time of 41 hours....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #1055
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
According to my "Acar" phone app....

1,125 miles in 5 months, 23 days with a total ride time of 41 hours....
Any adjustment needed on your valves Steve?
I just got my 13l tank in and figure I might as well check the valves while I have the tank off. I am just at 14 hours, so I don't anticipate needing to loosen them. My last dirt nap bent one of the radiator tabs, so I am hoping: #1 no more dirt naps on rocks, #2 that the tank absorbs some impact so I won't need to buy radiator guards too.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #1056
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

I didn't mean so much as damage to stator, but rather too much load in stop and go traffic so that the battery gets discharged. My commute is so short that I don't anticipate it but thought I would ask, and like that now I can "turn off" headlight off road.
I eventually plan on getting the fairing that Sanjoh and Harcus have designed for the 500. I have some of Sanjoh's advmonster led's from my Tiger that I can use.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #1057
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Any adjustment needed on your valves Steve?
I just got my 13l tank in and figure I might as well check the valves while I have the tank off. I am just at 14 hours, so I don't anticipate needing to loosen them. My last dirt nap bent one of the radiator tabs, so I am hoping: #1 no more dirt naps on rocks, #2 that the tank absorbs some impact so I won't need to buy radiator guards too.
No adjustment needed so far. I checked at 1 hour and at 30 hours, they were right in the middle of spec each time....very happy so far

Where did you get a 13L tank? I've called Justgastanks and they stated they have some Acerbis 13L tanks, but they were missing parts. The larger tanks should be in next week.

I called Ktm-parts about the 13L Ktm tank. They stated they were on back order until late June....suppose i'll have to wait....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #1058
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
tank

Quote:
No adjustment needed so far. I checked at 1 hour and at 30 hours, they were right in the middle of spec each time....very happy so far

Where did you get a 13L tank? I've called Justgastanks and they stated they have some Acerbis 13L tanks, but they were missing parts. The larger tanks should be in next week.

I called Ktm-parts about the 13L Ktm tank. They stated they were on back order until late June....suppose i'll have to wait....
I wasnt aware Acerbis made a 13 L I thought it was a 12.1 liter.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #1059
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
I wasnt aware Acerbis made a 13 L I thought it was a 12.1 liter.
The KTM tank, according to the Ktm parts guy, is made by Acerbis.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #1060
ABYSS
KTM

Nope

Quote:
The KTM tank, according to the Ktm parts guy, is made by Acerbis.
That rumor was pronounced Dead quite awhile ago.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=438642&hl=

READ POST DATE 12-16-11 10:58am
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #1061
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
That rumor was pronounced Dead quite awhile ago.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=438642&hl=

READ POST DATE 12-16-11 10:58am
Seems the ktm guy hasn't heard that yet..

Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #1062
ABYSS
KTM

dont know

Quote:
Seems the ktm guy hasn't heard that yet..

you can call Brian at Acerbis USA and he will confirm. they dont even have the KTM plastics contract at the moment.

fi you want one of thse tanks Carson Motor Sports had a few but I bought one and I sent lulu for the second one. i am not sure if they have any more but these guys are top knotch!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #1063
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
you can call Brian at Acerbis USA and he will confirm. they dont even have the KTM plastics contract at the moment.

fi you want one of thse tanks Carson Motor Sports had a few but I bought one and I sent lulu for the second one. i am not sure if they have any more but these guys are top knotch!

well....bummer.....just called em.
They shipped out two tanks a couple weeks ago to Texas. Currently the tanks are on back-order. Which means, mid june or so.....

SteveO screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 12:00 PM
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #1064
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

guilty as charged. a lot going on since i left for work. Abyss pointed me in the right direction. Your best bet is google. All tanks I believe will be at dealers like Carson, if they are not sold out.
Thanks again Abyss. Came in last week. My HDB kit from Paul shipped yesterday, so I anticipate a weekend of wrenching. Spooned on my 705's today and holding air

First time to change tires. Neduro's thread helped quite a bit with "if it's hard, your doing something wrong"
I got a 90/90 21 front and went with a 4.10/18 rear. It looks a bit small, but that rim is tiny.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #1065
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Supermoto

Got the tires mounted up on my supermoto wheels last night. Put them on the bike and took it for a spin. I'll have a video up shortly and better pictures.

ridethedesert is offline   Reply With Quote