Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #1141
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,712
The EXC has a charcoal canister hooked to the gas tank and a vent into the exhaust port, otherwise the engine is exactly as the XC-W.

The EXC has a 15-45 final, the XC-W has 13-50 final.

The EXC has the turnsignals, brake light, high beam, switches. The XC-W has one beam headlight and a taillight.

The EXC is about $200 more.

To make an EXC into an XC-W with good lights, you need a few plugs and two sprockets for a total of $100. You can also sell this bike into other states that have more stricter emissions.

To make an XC-W into an EXC, two beam headlight $80, brake light and switch $40?, turnsignals and switches $120? Total $240? Don't try to license it in about 40? of the states.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #1142
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
Thanks for finding that link. I will try to read it. There's no fuse that limits the output of the stator. When consumers of electicity exceed the stator's ability to generate, the excess load is served by the battery, which eventually results in the battery being drained. That's my amateur understanding, at least.
You are correct. The stator always operates at full output anyway (rpm dependent). It delivers full output to the regulator/rectifier. Whatever power is not being used charges the battery or gets bled off as heat if the battery is full. The best way to monitor if you are pulling too much power is to install a voltmeter. The charging system should operate around 13.8 up to 14.6 volts depending on the bike. If it drops below that while riding you are likely using too much power and drawing excess power from your battery which will eventually drain it unless you turn off excess loads.

Cheers
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #1143
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Recall info

From my dealer TODAY -

ALL 500 EXC's and XCW's are effected. the push rod on some model has been installed upside down and causes low pressure feed up to the top. it is not VIN specific. If you have a 2012 MODEL the dealer will check it for free.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #1144
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
My 500 EXC Experience

I have been watching this thread religiously along with others, particularly those where E-ticket has posted his very thorough series of how to modify the EXC bikes. Having worked on my bike for a good 5 months but with less than 50 miles on the thing I offer the following insights.

Highway Dirtbikes is the bomb if you want more rise on your bars with very strong guards and an under mount setup for a Scott's stabilizer. Be forewarned that the clutch cable runs into the left swivel and needs a solution that allows the cable to drop below the swivel. I have not found a good solution for this problem. Paul has been great and helpful but his near cult status makes it harder for him to be as responsive as he wants to be. Great product and I am vey happy despite the clutch cable clearance problem.

Headlight -The Trailtech light looks good but if you go with Paul's setup from Highway Dirt Bikes then stay away from Trailtech's lights. I went with BajaDesigns Squadron insert. It uses the stock shroud, is very bright and comes with mounting equipment that makes room for the extra depth of the insert. It is blindingly bright and looks great. Expensive.

Desmog - Do it. Makes more room, loses weight, stops backfiring. My bike came with the bolt and washer needed to plug the SAS valve hole in the cylinder.

Fuel filters - Lose the stock miniature filter inline at the throttle body. It is a bear to get to and replace and reinstalling with the little red o-ring is not easy. I ruined one o-ring and paid $7 for a new one. The frame and wiring is in the way when working on the throttle body so I want to avoid working there again. KTM has already issued one recall on that little filter. I added a fuel sock and a Golan inline.

Gearing. Stock is too tall. I am now at 13/50. Feels great.

Gas cap - impossible to use in stock form. Take it off, remove the torx screws and pull out the locking tab insert. Re-assemble without the locking tabs. Works great now without needing channel locks to remove the cap. KTM owes us one on this crappy design. Duh.

Battery - bought the Ballistic 8 cell. Wow. Saves a bunch of weight and can sit around without discharging over the winter.

ECU - I remapped but cannot tell if there is a difference. The bike is lien down low. JD claims the stock EXC showed 3 more HP on the dyno when compared with the XC-W. they do not know why. Thinking about the JD tuner but have not pulled that trigger.

I have added lots of bling including orange candy parts, tall seat, case saver and rotor guards. I will post pictures eventually when I can actually get the thing dirty. Half the fun is working on it and knowing it is in the garage.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #1145
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneEkolaaS View Post
But the dealer here in Tasmania has run out of the 500's and aparently no other dealer in oz wants to give one up for me either. So i may have to settle for a 450, no big deal, im sure it will still have plenty of go in it. I am 85 kilos without gear on. The 2013's should be about in a couple of months but not sure if they are going to do something silly to the ECU's to stop us playin with them. The jd x6 and sicass plugs would be a shame to loose the option of if they lockup the 2013's somehow.

So wht u all think? 450 enough for a 85 kg rider?
Or wait for a 2013 500 and hope they dont screw with the ECU options too much?
i bought the 450 after riding all the '12 bikes back to back for a day,i was originally going to get a 500.they weigh about the same,but you can feel the rotating mass of the 500,where the 450 feels like a 350 on steriods.
i bought my 450 for x country/enduro and adv rides.i weigh about 100kg ready to rock
my brother has a 500,so we compare rides all the time ,either way you can't go wrong with either
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #1146
KneEkolaaS
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikeslob View Post
i bought the 450 after riding all the '12 bikes back to back for a day,i was originally going to get a 500.they weigh about the same,but you can feel the rotating mass of the 500,where the 450 feels like a 350 on steriods.
i bought my 450 for x country/enduro and adv rides.i weigh about 100kg ready to rock
my brother has a 500,so we compare rides all the time ,either way you can't go wrong with either
Cheers for the heads up. I probably weigh about 90-95 kg geared up. Just wanted to check that the 450 still has more than enough grunt for riders our size.
Last thing i want is to regreat not having enough power. Its the main reason im trading up.
KneEkolaaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #1147
5hunge
Banned

Oddometer: 111
Aussie 500's

Hey kneEkoalaa, (and any other aussies lookin 4 1) have you had a look here http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...1409178&Nne=15
5hunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #1148
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
From my dealer TODAY -

ALL 500 EXC's and XCW's are effected. the push rod on some model has been installed upside down and causes low pressure feed up to the top. it is not VIN specific. If you have a 2012 MODEL the dealer will check it for free.

My dealer is not open yet so I will call them when I get the chance but is that an exact paste from the email? What push rod?
Also quite honestly Im not sure I would trust my local dealer and I really dont see me making the 2 hour drive to the next closest dealer to get it checked. Does anyone know the procedure so I can check it myself?
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #1149
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
Highway Dirtbikes is the bomb if you want more rise on your bars with very strong guards and an under mount setup for a Scott's stabilizer. Be forewarned that the clutch cable runs into the left swivel and needs a solution that allows the cable to drop below the swivel. I have not found a good solution for this problem. Paul has been great and helpful but his near cult status makes it harder for him to be as responsive as he wants to be. Great product and I am vey happy despite the clutch cable clearance problem.

Headlight -The Trailtech light looks good but if you go with Paul's setup from Highway Dirt Bikes then stay away from Trailtech's lights. I went with BajaDesigns Squadron insert. It uses the stock shroud, is very bright and comes with mounting equipment that makes room for the extra depth of the insert. It is blindingly bright and looks great. Expensive.
What is the issue with the trailtech?

What is the issue with the clutch line?

toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #1150
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
My dealer is not open yet so I will call them when I get the chance but is that an exact paste from the email? What push rod?
Also quite honestly Im not sure I would trust my local dealer and I really dont see me making the 2 hour drive to the next closest dealer to get it checked. Does anyone know the procedure so I can check it myself?
Pull the two plugs on the head above the spark plug on both sides. There is a dot on the end of the rocker arm shaft that should be facing up. If it isn't it needs to be turned. We got this a couple weeks ago but I figured you guys were on top of it.

I've been reading this thread to learn more about these bikes even though i don't have one. I have ridden a demo though, very nice bikes.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #1151
juvander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Pull the two plugs on the head above the spark plug on both sides. There is a dot on the end of the rocker arm shaft that should be facing up. If it isn't it needs to be turned. We got this a couple weeks ago but I figured you guys were on top of it.

I've been reading this thread to learn more about these bikes even though i don't have one. I have ridden a demo though, very nice bikes.
You mean this part with a dot:

(Taken from here: http://paochow.com/forum/index.php?topic=40.0)
juvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #1152
ABYSS
KTM

Bluhduh TSB hot off the press

BE WARNED -

some are incorrect, my bike was incorrect and parts are being replaced as you read this.

My VIN said it was good but my dealer wanted to check it anyways. I saw it with my own eyes it is not correct so dont trust the list

Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #1153
hyperliteric16
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Rocker Arm Dot

Just checked the dot on my rocker arm and was facing up like it should. I also took out my spark plug and it was way too white indicating it was running too lean. Could the JD tuner fix this problem??
hyperliteric16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #1154
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Cool2 Thank you abyss

[QUOTE=ABYSS;18699998]BE WARNED -

some are incorrect, my bike was incorrect and parts are being replaced as you read this.

My VIN said it was good but my dealer wanted to check it anyways. I saw it with my own eyes it is not correct so dont trust the list

[/QUOTE]thx ABYSS great post
just checked mine imgood you saved me a 3hr round trip to drop off and 3hr to pick up thank you!
EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #1155
ABYSS
KTM

no worries

[QUOTE=EVELKNIEVEL;18701340]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
BE WARNED -

[/QUOTE]thx ABYSS great post
just checked mine imgood you saved me a 3hr round trip to drop off and 3hr to pick up thank you!

you are welcome, it is very easy to check.