Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #1171
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Has anybody seen the entire bulletin? Do they need to disturb the valve adjustment while they are changing this? Would you expect them to do a valve check and oil change while they are in there since it is being opened up?

Rob,
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #1172
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Has anybody seen the entire bulletin? Do they need to disturb the valve adjustment while they are changing this? Would you expect them to do a valve check and oil change while they are in there since it is being opened up?

Rob,
I have not seen the whole bulletin, but was told by my dealer that they did do a valve check while they were at it.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #1173
WFO_Sometimes
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Add my name to the upside down rocker arm shaft list. Found the exhaust was correct but the intake side was wrong. Thanks for the heads up post! Not sure if I would've heard from my dealer.
WFO_Sometimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #1174
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Thanks harcus for the detailed instructions and pic's of the desmogging.Just did mine with no problems. Also poured out dealer installed gas and sure enough there is some black floaters already in the gas tank.Will flush it tomorrow.
Never heard anything from dealer on rocker arm shafts but mine checked out right.

oldx screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 07:29 PM Reason: valves
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #1175
Davonat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Pissed JD Tuner

Hi Gang......
Ive been lurking here for a while now. Ive found my gearing too high for the single track trails up in the U.P. of Michigan im at 14/48.... going to go to a 50 on back. On the steep hills I find my bike stalling ALOT! when needing to down shift. In fact the last time was at the top of a knarly hill and it tossed me off & I broke a rib!!! "OUCH" I have desmoged it. I have a JD tuner now... will this fix this?? I also have a FMF slip on muffler coming... Will the stock settings on the tuner need to be adjusted for this? Some guys and I are heading out to Taylor Park in July, I dont want any issues when I get there. I obviously wont be doing any serious riding for a few more weeks. Im going to go check my rocker shafts this weekend & install a Ballistic battery.... Theres 4 lbs gone! Thanx Dave

PS .. 1 more thing... My dealer gave me some wild & mild ignition plugs when I picked up the bike... I havent tryed them yet. If these ignitions are locked.... why would he give them to me?

Davonat screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 05:10 AM
Davonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #1176
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonat View Post
Hi Gang......
Ive been lurking here for a while now. Ive found my gearing too high for the single track trails up in the UP of michigan im at 14/48.... going to go to a 50 on back. On the steep hills I find my bike stalling ALOT! when needing to down shift. In fact the last time was at the top of a knarly hill and it tossed me off & I broke a rib!!! "OUCH" I have desmoged it. I have a JD tuner now... will this fix this?? I also have a FMF slip on muffler coming... Will the stock settings on the tuner need to be adjusted for this? Some guys and I are heading out to Taylor Park in July, I dont want any issues when I get there. I obviously wont be doing any serious riding for a few more weeks. Im going to go check my rocker shafts this weekend & install a Ballistic battery.... Theres 4 lbs gone! Thanx Dave

PS .. 1 more thing... My dealer gave me some wild & mild ignition pugs when I picked up the bike... I havent tryed them yet. If these ignitions are locked.... why would he give them to me?
On the stalling, I just kept increasing the idle till it stopped happening. After the desmog it needs to be raised and several people including myself needed quite a few clicks to have it idle good and not stall during shifts and clutch work.

On the plugs, the current word is that they do work, but I believe the only guys that have tried them already had the JD tuner on their bikes so not sure about stand alone use.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #1177
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
interesting read

Apparently Ned Suisse (Neduro) owned one of our precious bikes for a very short while. Liked it very much but had some complaints of twitchy throttle, he was planning on a throttle cam to smooth it out. Also flame outs that left him forced to use his other older 450 on a trip. Also, what I found interesting is that the place he buys all his KTM's from in Aspen, suggested he remove ALL fuel filters on the FI bike. They have some older FI bikes with over 100 hours with no problems.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768894
Old 05-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #1178
juvander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Checked today mine as well, all ok.
juvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #1179
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Mine was also one up and one down.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #1180
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Idle time...

[QUOTE=Lulu7404;18716032]On the stalling, I just kept increasing the idle till it stopped happening. After the desmog it needs to be raised and several people including myself needed quite a few clicks to have it idle good and not stall during shifts and clutch work.

Of all the improvements done to the orange ATM in my garage, setting the idle higher has resulted in the most noticeable improvement. Takes just a few minutes to adjust and you can always put it back. Best of all, only cost a minute of your time.
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #1181
BELLY
COS I CAN

Oddometer: 16
Rocker Shaft

Im glad I raised this one a few days ago!

I was just loading my bike (4am here) for a full on two day ride down the coast with my local club. After reading the great information posted up during the week I thought I would just check the rocker shaft for peace of mind.

I wasnt expecting any issues as KTM has already replaced the motor (great service) and I pressume this motor is from a fairly recent run judging by the engine number. Guess what ? Upside down. I must have run over a black cat some where.

I going back to bed and will attempt to cash in my credit points for not going away riding this weekend
BELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #1182
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Apparently Ned Suisse (Neduro) owned one of our precious bikes for a very short while. Liked it very much but had some complaints of twitchy throttle, he was planning on a throttle cam to smooth it out. Also flame outs that left him forced to use his other older 450 on a trip. Also, what I found interesting is that the place he buys all his KTM's from in Aspen, suggested he remove ALL fuel filters on the FI bike. They have some older FI bikes with over 100 hours with no problems.]

Ned bailing on his new 500 spoke volumes to me.

And then there is the matter of improperly aligned rocker shafts being shipped. Stuff like this is
simply unacceptable. I'd use the lemon law to force KTM to buy the bike back if I had bought one.
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #1183
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Ned bailing on his new 500 spoke volumes to me.

And then there is the matter of improperly aligned rocker shafts being shipped. Stuff like this is
simply unacceptable. I'd use the lemon law to force KTM to buy the bike back if I had bought one.

I don't think the "lemon law" works that way. There needs to be multiple issues with a bike (or vehicle) that a dealership is unable to address. As well there needs to be documentation that shows the dealership has tried to fix a problem(s) that is persistant with a vehicle or motorcycle...

This is more of a manufacturing issue that Ktm has issued a recall on, that "can" be fixed....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #1184
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I don't think the "lemon law" works that way. There needs to be multiple issues with a bike (or vehicle) that a dealership is unable to address. As well there needs to be documentation that shows the dealership has tried to fix a problem(s) that is persistant with a vehicle or motorcycle...

This is more of a manufacturing issue that Ktm has issued a recall on, that "can" be fixed....

You might be correct about that lemon law.

The poor process control which is apparent in the bikes being shipped with misaligned rocker shafts
makes me wonder what else they might be doing wrong.

They either need to hire better workers or design the bikes so it is impossible for things to be assembled
incorrectly. In any case, stuff like this is why I avoid buying the first year of anything these days, not just
motorcycles. I do appreciate the sacrifices made by the customers ( beta testers ? ) who do buy the first-year stuff,
without them the products might never get any better.
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #1185
Jdperry
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumbs down

Both of my rocker arms are upside down. I have 830 mostly singletrack miles on it and was wondering what all in the top end could be affected by this?
Jdperry is offline   Reply With Quote