Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #1231
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Don't know BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
What brand are the rims on the EXC?
Anyone interested in a set of XCW wheels in immaculate condition PM me.

FYI the XCW's have excel hoops.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #1232
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
My rims are unmarked except for size, unless I am not looking in right place.
On the protector I wonder if the anodizing takes up some space and makes them fit better. The small notch on the top allows them to go in all the way but there is no snap when seated.

I am interested in the spacer you used in this pic.

Did you make? I got no such spacer in my kit.

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #1233
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
Cycle town south?
No KTM of North Texas. AKA SLM Racing. New dealership in Pantego/Arlington. 1 mile from my house which is nice. Just opened November/December 2011.
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #1234
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

450 vs 500

Can someone help me understand the difference between the 450 xcw and the 500 xcw? I understand that the 450 exc was not offered in 2012 but why is the 450 xcw still offered? What is KTM's intended purpose of each one? They are both SOHC motors, 2 lbs difference, same size gas tanks. Lots of similarities so just wondering why KTM would offer each??? Confused. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #1235
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Can someone help me understand the difference between the 450 xcw and the 500 xcw? I understand that the 450 exc was not offered in 2012 but why is the 450 xcw still offered? What is KTM's intended purpose of each one? They are both SOHC motors, 2 lbs difference, same size gas tanks. Lots of similarities so just wondering why KTM would offer each??? Confused. Thanks!
probably the the same reason why they made 525/450,530/450 and now 500/450,same size bike but 450 a bit more nimble in the tight stuff ,both are pretty good,450 more popular over here.
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #1236
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
wont stay in place and pop out over bumps... adhesive, tape?
I added a small touch of RTV to the lens lip on mine. Also made sure no tension in the four indicator wires. So far so good.

I didn't need spacers

dvwalker screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 05:54 AM
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #1237
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Quick question for the masses that have gone with the computer protector with the HDB top clamp. What did you guys use to secure the computer in the protector if anything. I put the rubber grommets back on but it seems to just bounce around in it. Also the lights for FI, fuel, etc. wont stay in place and pop out over bumps... adhesive, tape? Any ideas would help.
Also, preference for mounting it above or below the top clamp. I also got the spacer for the sub mount stabilizer. I tried above and the wires for two of the lights wouldn't reach without taking the birds nest of wires apart. Below works with the wires but the headlight shield is pretty far away from the forks and really stretching the rubber straps holding it on... thx
I found some o-rings that worked nicely to hold the lights in the case. A little silicone helps. As for the wires, I recommend detaching the bracket that holds them and untangling the mess. You will find kinked wires and more length can be found for those indicator lights. When re-mounting that wire loom bracket add about .5 inches of spacers to pull the wires forward away from the frame. This prevents rubbing and friction that would otherwise lead to a short.

I preferred the top mount approach for the guard. My solution for the headlight straps was expensive. I bought the squadron LED insert from Baja Designs. It comes with some spacers/extenders that solves all the clearance problems for the headlight shroud.. Perhaps you can convince Baja Designs to sell the extension kit separately. I wanted the bright light anyway.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #1238
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Countdown

Five days to go before "new bike day." I've resisted opening any of the boxes that have accumulated in anticipation...

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #1239
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
JD Jetting and some photos

I heard back from James at JD Jetting. Turns out he did indeed use my 500 EXC as their test subject to evaluate each throttle range. They ran the bike for a total of 0.7 hours, some of which was on the dyno and some of which was running through the gears off the dyno. According to James, they tested the bike with the stock emissions equipment and with the air pump inlet plugged off to confirm that this would eliminate popping under deceleration, which it did. They'd already previously done an evaluation for the 500 XCW, so this work was mainly to identify where different a/f mixtures might be needed.

Here are some more pictures from the dyno runs...

All strapped in:

Mounting point for the JD Jetting box. This will end up somewhere else soon, I'm sure:

Knobby rear tire removed for the dyno run:

I'm sure her bottom will never be this clean again:

Chart from James. Seems strange to plot bhp v. mph rather than rpm, but there you go. Must have been in 6th gear wtih the stock sprockets, so I'm sure anyone who cares can figure it out. The red is the the JD tuner and XCW exhaust, though James said they could not detect any difference between the EXC and XCW exhausts:

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #1240
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikeslob View Post
probably the the same reason why they made 525/450,530/450 and now 500/450,same size bike but 450 a bit more nimble in the tight stuff ,both are pretty good,450 more popular over here.
You forgot the 505....
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #1241
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikeslob View Post
Is one have a more reliable engine over the other for dual sporting purposes?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #1242
ABYSS
KTM

For all intent purposes

Quote:
Is one have a more reliable engine over the other for dual sporting purposes?
They are the same engine just different top end to get 50 cc's
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #1243
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
They are the same engine just different top end to get 50 cc's
Is one better than the other in regards to top end when on the highway for those connecting roads to more dirtroads? Like less vibes and such? I've always just wanted the 500 but just making sure I'm getting it for the right reasons.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #1244
5hunge
Banned

Oddometer: 111
I doubt we'll see anyone advertising a 450 kit for the 500 any time soon BUT there are a few 500 kits for 4fiddy's going around NUFF SAID
5hunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #1245
ABYSS
KTM

your call

Quote:
Is one better than the other in regards to top end when on the highway for those connecting roads to more dirtroads? Like less vibes and such? I've always just wanted the 500 but just making sure I'm getting it for the right reasons.
rember you are talking 50CC's which isnt much. I would bet vibes are identical except maybe just in different RPMS is all. For me I am 6'1' and 250. I wanted the extra CC's to haul me around.

if you are one of those feather weight guys then either will carry you no problem. Not that 50 cc's is gonna make all that mcuh difference for me.