User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #1246
5hunge
Banned

Oddometer: 111
I agree Abyss but technically its a smidge over 60cc

I like the look of the jd graph id like to see one with rpm not mph though huge increase my understanding is this is fuel only?? Couple that with the wild map n there are significant gains to be had, if only i could ride hard enough to warrant them.
5hunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #1247
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
rember you are talking 50CC's which isnt much. I would bet vibes are identical except maybe just in different RPMS is all. For me I am 6'1' and 250. I wanted the extra CC's to haul me around.

if you are one of those feather weight guys then either will carry you no problem. Not that 50 cc's is gonna make all that mcuh difference for me.
I'm about 5'8" and 170 and want serious power. So why all the hype about the 500 over the 450?

jtmajors screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 10:45 AM
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #1248
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
I added a small touch of RTV to the lens lip on mine. Also made sure no tension in the four indicator wires. So far so good.

Thank you for that shot. I FORGOT the screws!!! I hate it when I have extra stuff after I take something apart and put it back together again... and thanks for the rtv idea... something for tonight.

Lulu7404 screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 11:42 AM
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #1249
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
13l tank

On another note,
before

after
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #1250
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Dont know what else to tell ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
I'm about 5'8" and 170 and what serious power. So why all the hype about the 500 over the 450?
Both offer "serious" power All I can say is go ride both and decide for youself. You can tell just riding in the dealership lot.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #1251
ABYSS
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
On another note,

after
Congrads young man!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #1252
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Slowly Building the beast, running into problems all along the way. I guess thats what you get when your trying to add everything under the sun..... Anyways I got the trick adjustable offset triple clamp from KTM hardparts. I was trying to do a sub mount for my scotts, but it turns out thats looking like its not going to happen. Unless some one can help me out.... The holes for the handle bar mount are lower on the trick triple clamp, than on the stock triple clamp. I have the TT handle bar riser with the sub mount spot and the stem nut and bottom of the scotts touch. No way to bolt the scotts on... Anybody know of handle bar clamp system that takes the spacing into account?? I talk to BRP and they said don't run any home made spacers cause that will throw off the damper and cause accelerated wear.

Also the clutch and brake cable are going to be to short when I'm all done.... I know this from previous bike I have set up for me( I'm 6'9"). I'm gonna get motion pro to build me a longer brake line, but for the clutch cable I was thinking about adding one of those brake caliper radiator things
http://slavensracing.com/products/br...r-ktm-husaberg
I know its for brakes but I wonder if it will work for the clutch cable, all I need is a little bit.... Anybody??

Thanks

JP
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #1253
ABYSS
KTM

Call paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiller View Post
slowly building the beast, running into problems all along the way. I guess thats what you get when your trying to add everything under the sun..... Anyways i got the trick adjustable offset triple clamp from ktm hardparts. I was trying to do a sub mount for my scotts, but it turns out thats looking like its not going to happen. Unless some one can help me out.... The holes for the handle bar mount are lower on the trick triple clamp, than on the stock triple clamp. I have the tt handle bar riser with the sub mount spot and the stem nut and bottom of the scotts touch. No way to bolt the scotts on... Anybody know of handle bar clamp system that takes the spacing into account?? I talk to brp and they said don't run any home made spacers cause that will throw off the damper and cause accelerated wear.

Also the clutch and brake cable are going to be to short when i'm all done.... I know this from previous bike i have set up for me( i'm 6'9"). I'm gonna get motion pro to build me a longer brake line, but for the clutch cable i was thinking about adding one of those brake caliper radiator things
http://slavensracing.com/products/br...r-ktm-husaberg
i know its for brakes but i wonder if it will work for the clutch cable, all i need is a little bit.... Anybody??

Thanks

jp

highwaydirtbikes
Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #1254
HeadintheClouds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
Congrads young man!
Any fitment issues with the new tank? I have the EE radiator guards and the shrouds we'd to be trimmed. I'd hate to get the bigger tank and not have it clear the guards.
HeadintheClouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #1255
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hunge View Post
I like the look of the jd graph id like to see one with rpm not mph though huge increase my understanding is this is fuel only?? Couple that with the wild map n there are significant gains to be had, if only i could ride hard enough to warrant them.
Here is a chart from JD Jetting of HP v. RPM on the 500 XWC alongside a corresponding set of curves of A/F ratio v. RPM. James told me that there was no significant difference between this chart and that for the 500 EXC.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #1256
ABYSS
KTM

Unless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadintheClouds View Post
Any fitment issues with the new tank? I have the EE radiator guards and the shrouds we'd to be trimmed. I'd hate to get the bigger tank and not have it clear the guards.
you are bushwacking The13L tank provides excellent side coverage as the sides are no longer exposed.you woud be hard pressed to damage the radaitor unless you were jousting.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #1257
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
I heard back from James at JD Jetting. Turns out he did indeed use my 500 EXC as their test subject to evaluate each throttle range. They ran the bike for a total of 0.7 hours, some of which was on the dyno and some of which was running through the gears off the dyno. According to James, they tested the bike with the stock emissions equipment and with the air pump inlet plugged off to confirm that this would eliminate popping under deceleration, which it did. They'd already previously done an evaluation for the 500 XCW, so this work was mainly to identify where different a/f mixtures might be needed.

Here are some more pictures from the dyno runs...

All strapped in:

Mounting point for the JD Jetting box. This will end up somewhere else soon, I'm sure:

Knobby rear tire removed for the dyno run:

I'm sure her bottom will never be this clean again:

Chart from James. Seems strange to plot bhp v. mph rather than rpm, but there you go. Must have been in 6th gear wtih the stock sprockets, so I'm sure anyone who cares can figure it out. The red is the the JD tuner and XCW exhaust, though James said they could not detect any difference between the EXC and XCW exhausts:

JD told me the EXC 500 showed 3 horses more on the dyno when compared with the XCW.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #1258
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Is one better than the other in regards to top end when on the highway for those connecting roads to more dirtroads? Like less vibes and such? I've always just wanted the 500 but just making sure I'm getting it for the right reasons.
i wouldn't sweat about it,you can't go wrong with either,but remember they wer'nt designed for endless high speed on highways,that would be a waste of a good bike.
your best bet would be to have a demo ride from a dealer or talk nicely to a friend who has one.
these bikes are bloody good sraight out of the box(,which is how i got mine)
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #1259
5hunge
Banned

Oddometer: 111
@ jtmajors id say the 450s were made to compete in the E2 class unless your restricted by class the 500 is a nobrainer.

@ avconnect..thanks for posting up the graphs very interesting not really surprised at the linear nature of the power curve the bikes are soo smooth! Any idea what rear tyre is on her noice phat ass

@lulu tank looks awesome what kind of range are you getting with that?? does it noticeably push the front end in corners? and can you post a longitudinal pic so we can see just how fat she is?
5hunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #1260
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
JD told me the EXC 500 showed 3 horses more on the dyno when compared with the XCW.
He mentioned that to me as well and it appears to be reflected in these charts. Makes me wonder what the real difference is between the EXC and XCW ECU.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote