User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #1336
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Idle Screw Adjustment

Another question for you all. What tool, if any, do you use to adjust the idle screw?

After much searching and poking, I did finally manage to find the screw. I can just manage to get my long fingers in there far enough to pull it out and push it in. But I can't tell whether it is supposed to be turned by hand or some sort of tool. I am pretty sure I could not get two fingers around it to turn it without taking off the tank.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #1337
Davonat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
Another question for you all. What tool, if any, do you use to adjust the idle screw?

After much searching and poking, I did finally manage to find the screw. I can just manage to get my long fingers in there far enough to pull it out and push it in. But I can't tell whether it is supposed to be turned by hand or some sort of tool. I am pretty sure I could not get two fingers around it to turn it without taking off the tank.
Just turn the knob with your fingers.It needs to be in the pushed in position,so you can listen to the actual engine rpm...If its out... thats choke. Counter clockwise to raise the idle.... Yes its a pain to get to. Once set ..... you shouldnt need the choke at all. I think I managed to adjust it open with 1 finger

Davonat screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 01:34 PM
Davonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #1338
CJ500exc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Idle / choke knob

Here is a pic of oversize knob I made for mine. Not that you have to use it very often, but makes it easier when you do.

http://s1259.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0411.jpg
CJ500exc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #1339
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Went out for our first real ride together today. What a buttload of fun!

But, when we stopped after about 1/2 hour, the poor little thing was spitting out her coolant from somewhere. Couldn't locate the source before the system depressurize and the leak disappeared, so filled back up and brought her back to the garage. I suspect it's just a loose hose near the radiator, but very annoying, nonetheless -- especially following the episode where she dumped her oil all over the showroom floor.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #1340
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Mine spit coolant on first ride also, I checked and it was over filled. No problems since.
FZcruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #1341
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Mine spit coolant on first ride also, I checked and it was over filled. No problems since.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. Unclear whether mine was overfilled, since I don't know exactly how much was left on the pavement, but there's no obvious shortage in the radiator, so this seems a reasonable hypothesis.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #1342
5hunge
Banned

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidinitaly View Post
What are you using to mount your iPhone? Thanks!
Im using the HDB top clamp which has a large flat surface To which I attached velcro, the phone itself in in an otter box cover which has the hook side of the velcro attached to it. Its very secure and the velcro also absorbs most of the vibrations and shocks. I keep a overboard waterproof case for wet weather its velcro'd too.
5hunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #1343
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:

Don't feel like ya need to get your entire hand in there - just enuff finger to move the screw one direction or the other. Few clicks here or there. I have yet to have to pull it out for a cold start.

How did your rack project go?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #1344
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,312
First Post on 500

This is my first post although been lurking since post 1.

Been competing and serioius dirt riding for 40+ years. Owned lots of scoots. Three or four come to mind as outstanding... meaning I just loved em for one reason or another.

The 500 is my newest greatest bike ever. I rode the 530 since 2008 and never enjoyed it the way I do this one.

If I may quote a recent post "what a butt load of fun".

Yea the bike as issues.... its new and you will live through it. It seems more than worth the effort to me.

BTW I took my PMB rack off my 530 and MADE it fit my 500. Bending and making parts were involved but it can be done. Of course if you can I suggest buying the one that fits when it come out... I also attach rack to rear fender with spacer to keep shake out of tail light assembly.

Also my cam shafts were installed correctly thank you very much.

Great stuff on this thread. Keep it going.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #1345
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
ECU for UK Delivery KTM 500 EXC

I note that in the UK, the KTM 500 XC-W is not sold, only the EXC is available.

Is the ECU on the UK KTM 500 EXC locked ?

Are UK dealers re flashing it to the XC-W map ?

Reason I ask is I'm located in Asia and thinking of importing a KTM 500 EXC from the UK. Unfortunately I don't have any contacts to import an XC-W from the US.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #1346
5hunge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
I note that in the UK, the KTM 500 XC-W is not sold, only the EXC is available.

Is the ECU on the UK KTM 500 EXC locked ?

Are UK dealers re flashing it to the XC-W map ?

Reason I ask is I'm located in Asia and thinking of importing a KTM 500 EXC from the UK. Unfortunately I don't have any contacts to import an XC-W from the US.
have you tried contacting a freight forwarder in the US like bongous or similar? if i keep my 12 until 14 I'm definitely looking to import a 6 days instead of buying locally from 2012 comparison i should have saved up to $2500 and had a 6 days
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #1347
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Hey Mifune,
Have you looked into an overflow bottle for the 500? I use an overflow kit that I like on my '08 530exc. No more spitting coolant out the frame drain which dumped it right on the hot exhaust to steam your face. The overflow bottle keeps it all in and lets you have more coolant too. I mounted the bottle in my airbox.

Quote:
Went out for our first real ride together today. What a buttload of fun!

But, when we stopped after about 1/2 hour, the poor little thing was spitting out her coolant from somewhere. Couldn't locate the source before the system depressurize and the leak disappeared, so filled back up and brought her back to the garage. I suspect it's just a loose hose near the radiator, but very annoying, nonetheless -- especially following the episode where she dumped her oil all over the showroom floor.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #1348
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hunge View Post
have you tried contacting a freight forwarder in the US like bongous or similar? if i keep my 12 until 14 I'm definitely looking to import a 6 days instead of buying locally from 2012 comparison i should have saved up to $2500 and had a 6 days
Thx for the tip. I already have a US Shipito mail fwding address which is pretty much the same as the one you suggested afaik.

I note from your previous posts that you reckon the Oz 500EXC comes without the smog gear. Have you confirmed if the ECU mapping is the same as the US XC-W ?

Nicely setup bike btw....
Are you happy with the overall height of the HDB 3" bar risers and stock bars. What height are you ?
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #1349
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 1,882
Oz and UK bikes specs should be exact same as we get oz /UK manuals so your ecu should be unlocked
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #1350
5hunge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Thx for the tip. I already have a US Shipito mail fwding address which is pretty much the same as the one you suggested afaik.

I note from your previous posts that you reckon the Oz 500EXC comes without the smog gear. Have you confirmed if the ECU mapping is the same as the US XC-W ?

Nicely setup bike btw....
Are you happy with the overall height of the HDB 3" bar risers and stock bars. What height are you ?
Cheers Bill,
Im 5"11 and the egro's are perfect for me now. I'm with Mudguts on the similaraties between the Ozzie EXC and US XC-W and will add imho the US EXC has the same map. I think it was Evilkinevil that put the 3 stage map switch on his US delivered EXC no problems, no "unlock" just plug n play.
After about 2.5hrs on tight woods single track today im soooo glad I have the HDB handguards the stock bars are WWIIDDEE!!