Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #1411
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
You will need a longer chain. I have the 13/50 gearing on my EXC.
What is the advantage of the 13/50 over say a 14/48 which a lot of folks around here (southeast) seem to like. It seems to me you are gearing it really low... What top end would you have?

Just wondering?

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #1412
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
What is the advantage of the 13/50 over say a 14/48 which a lot of folks around here (southeast) seem to like. It seems to me you are gearing it really low... What top end would you have?

Just wondering?
The advantage is that it's easier to run trails. The higher gearing makes it easier to have flame-outs when running the slower stuff such as single track.

I've geared to 14/48 and find that it does really well when lugging the single track trails. I can also pull 80mph comfortable when on the Interstate.....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #1413
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,651
Thanks,

I'm still playing with mine to see what fits the trails I ride best, and the 14/48 works well for me cause I still need some legs for high speed sand. Even our single track is fairly fast (no rock gardens, or long mud holes)..so 2nd and 3rd are the norms...

I think this bike has an awesome 3rd and 4th....and of course 6th in the high rev range moves you into the world of rocketry!

This thing is really fun.

If any of you watched national new you may have seen the 13" to 21" of rain in Pensacola area. We rode Sunday morning. Sand was super packed and the creek crossing were high... we had a blast as the rain packs the sugar sand to the ultimate traction and of course NO DUST!

If anyone cares - the bike ran fine in the pouring rain...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #1414
BUGRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I'll bet the video of a pro racer greasing tube was a bib mouse not a tube.
BUGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #1415
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGRIDER View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...PN4QoAs#t=275s
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #1416
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
You will need a longer chain. I have the 13/50 gearing on my EXC.
What about running the standard 48 tooth EXC rear sprocket and 13 on the front - can you get away with the standard chain or do you need a shorter one?
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #1417
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
seat concepts tall

Just got my SC kit in the 1" taller version on. First 5 miles have been bliss. Knees significantly more comfortable as well. Potential 64 mile moto trail in Arkansas from Daisy SP this coming saturday to make sure it is not too tall for off road riding. The top looks the same as the regular seat kit, here it is from the side. Metzlers back on for off road duty. Im kind of disappointed at my non-pneumatic staple gun job. I bought a HD unit for upholstery and 70% of the staples are not fully seated. I went to Harbor Freight and bought there $15 air stapler, but it only shoots 5/8" by 1/4" narrow crown staples. Colemanfu what did you use?
before:

after:
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #1418
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
I think you would loose that bet. He actually said "for a tube in a motor bike...."

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #1419
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post

Just wondering?
I like it low. Lots of slow technical work with more than enough top end 75-80).
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #1420
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
My heavy duty hand stapler did not work but the $20 wide crown harbor freight air stapler worked great for me.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #1421
DirtToTar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
500exc quits while riding

Shortly after purchasing my 500 I was out on a technical trail ride and it just cut out at low speed. After a few attempts it started back up and rode fine. I thought that maybe it was a flameout. Since then it has cut out about 5 times with the same symptoms of restarting after rolling to a stop. Over the weekend I was on a rural highway doing 65 mph and then all of a sudden nothing. I rolled to a stop, pushed the button and it came back to life. With this intermittent issue my confidence in doing remote rides is really low right now.

Has anyone experienced this?
DirtToTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #1422
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
if one was a little more observant,one would have seen the guy inflating his tube once installed
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #1423
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,316
Lulu - that seat is tall. Looks plush. Wonder if they use a different foam for the taller seat. Do ya have 2 sets of rims or just rubber?
Can't help much, I took mine to a buddy at an upholstery shop, no idea what tool he used but it cost me a sixer of High Life ha. One of the nice things about Daytona is that there is no shortage of bike related businesses.

Vico - I went down a tooth on the front but kept the back so 14/45. I do have a 48 that I'll try next trip to the mountains just for curiosity. Hope it works out cause than I can put the 45 on the supermoto set (no I have to swap everything). Hard to sort gears in FL with no real down hills. Going down hill will answer some gearing questions. Like a 13/14 won't slow ya down much in 1st. You are correct to gear to what ya ride and your preferred feel of the bike. Gearing can be a bit like oil or chain tension. I don't mind a taller 1st for the slower tight trails and can still get to the bottom end of 4th in some stuff. And 60 mph on the street is effortless with this set up.
World of rocketry is a very accurate description of how it feels in the high rev sweet spot .
Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #1424
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
My heavy duty hand stapler did not work but the $20 wide crown harbor freight air stapler worked great for me.
FZcruzer, would it be possible to provide a part number for that wide crown stapler? I went back to look again, and then even to Home Depot where I eventually bought the manual stapler. My local store may have just been out of stock, but there are plenty here to try...
thx
Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #1425
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Lulu - that seat is tall. Looks plush. Wonder if they use a different foam for the taller seat. Do ya have 2 sets of rims or just rubber?
Can't help much, I took mine to a buddy at an upholstery shop, no idea what tool he used but it cost me a sixer of High Life ha. One of the nice things about Daytona is that there is no shortage of bike related businesses.
If your foam feels like the stock foam just wider, then yes, I think they might. I cannot just throw a leg over anymore, but it does sink in pretty good. I can still get both feet down at stops, just not flat. But then, I couldn't do that on stock seat either. Slightly concerned for off road. At 5'10" the stock seat was challenging until the spring settled in. Now I am back where I started, and I don't even have the sag set right for street riding.
Unfortunately, I am changing tires for my off road trips. When you checked in to this thread not too hot for the 17's I was hoping to pick them up cheap! I am saving pennies for some with a cush hub, so it will take a while. Watched a friend road race at a local race track this weekend. Plenty of motards out there running... would love to do a track day on this bike with some 17's.