Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #46
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

Note, that image doesn't show the grub screw. It shows the check valve body that the factory uses to fill the clutch fluid. The grub screw is threaded into the valve body. Grub screw is the BMW word for 'socket head set screw'.

Title corrected.
Thank you.
G
Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #47
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,755

Quote:
Originally Posted by g r a n t View Post

Well, what did that oil smell like? Gearbox or crankcase?

This thread is bordering on epic!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #48
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Well, what did that oil smell like? Gearbox or crankcase?

This thread is bordering on epic!

It had a very saucy nose. The colouration was deceiving but it had a slight aroma of gearbox.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #49
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:

It had a very saucy nose. The colouration was deceiving but it had a slight aroma of gearbox.
I see. Was that also the color of the oil drained from the gearbox? I don't know if anyone mentioned this. The gearbox shaft bearings are pre-lubricated and sealed, and do not share the gearbox oil. (Sort of a big version of a skateboard wheel bearing.) When a shaft bearing seal fails, it releases the dark-colored grease into the gearbox oil.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #50
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Disassembly Part 7

29. Removing the transmission from the engine case
a. The guide pins were inserted previously and lightly oiled
b. A template was made in order to record the correct location for bolts I removed (see above).
c. The transmission was supported with two axle jacks and a block of wood.
d. My wife helped me lift the transmission straight back from the engine case. This being my first time I was nervous as to how heavy the assy would be, nervous not to damage the clutch release rod or the splines. Nervous. We went through the theory of how to remove the transmission and coordinated where to set it down. Our first motion was to give it a light pull and lift at the same time to gauge how easily it will slide off. Thanks K! It slid away quite easily . After that we pulled and lifted the trans off in one motion. Easy. I think the splines caught each other on exit but I could not see any harm.
e. Observations:
i. Clutch release rod: dry (no fluid on it) and some dried grease on the end.
ii. Black soot on the forward facing face of the gearbox. No soot in a halo pattern around the input shaft. Soot spread out past the clean area. Soot wet on the bottom of the gearbox face. Oily.
iii. Looked under the input shaft and noticed a small pool of oil sitting below the shaft on the edge adjacent to the seal.
iv. I sampled the fluid with a piece of white paper – red. This was the same colour as drained from the gearbox. It also had a faint smell of transmission oil. Time for a seal. Before I remove the seal I will measure the depth so I can make up a tool for seating it.
v. Looking at the engine case and clutch assy I can see the left side of the engine case is clean while the right side is sooty. The soot is dry towards the top and wet towards the bottom. Hmmmm, migrating transmission fluid or engine oil. Please be the former.
vi. After “fannying” about with my flashlight a bit longer I decided to read up on removing the clutch assy.
vii. I think I will focus on the transmission issue first and then go back to the clutch.
f. After pulling the transmission I found a plastic bushing on the bench. One side had dried road dirt the other side had a soot like film on it. Was this a plug into the transmission case? Where does this go? Anyone? See pic.

Transmission pulled, clutch exposed:

Transmission etc secured to bench. Left arrows points to black soot, right points to the "clean" halo around the input shaft:

Close-up:

Arrow points to puddle of red transmission oil under shaft at seal:

Yes, this was a faint reddish oil. Showed up better in person. colour in pic seems a bit off.

Bottom view of Engine case and clutch:

Arrow points to what is definitely engine oil. Now what. Any thoughts?

Input shaft splines close up (39,000 miles):

Even closer:

Input splines front view:

Clutch splines:

Close-up:

And finally, where the this fall out of:
Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #51
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I see. Was that also the color of the oil drained from the gearbox? I don't know if anyone mentioned this. The gearbox shaft bearings are pre-lubricated and sealed, and do not share the gearbox oil. (Sort of a big version of a skateboard wheel bearing.) When a shaft bearing seal fails, it releases the dark-colored grease into the gearbox oil.

Hmmm. Yes it was the same colour, but about two gearbox fluid changes ago I did experience a dark oil. Will relay that story in a separate reply.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #52
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:

After pulling the transmission I found a plastic bushing on the bench. One side had dried road dirt the other side had a soot like film on it. Was this a plug into the transmission case? Where does this go? Anyone?
I think that's a rubber bush for one of the molded plastic pins on the plastic starter cover.

Nice work! And it's always good to have some help. I remember that first-time fear of hanging a gearbox on the motor by its input shaft. Or in the case of a VeeDub, hanging the motor from the gearbox! Apparently, it isn't the problem people make it out to be. Hung many a car and truck gearbox or motor that way, while repositioning myself to get the pilot bearing lined up. It's never been an issue. As long as you don't swing from the tail shaft before you get the bell housing bolts installed that is.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #53
Poolside
Syndicated

You took a picture of it. The rubber bush on the clutch housing starter relief, at 12 o'clock.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #54
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You took a picture of it. The rubber bush on the clutch housing starter relief, at 12 o'clock.

Whew! Thanks.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #55
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
I've been watching without comment, but I thought and think you also have a leaky rear main seal. Pulling the clutch and flywheel at this point is easy, so I would strongly suggest you do it to at least check to be sure.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #56
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I've been watching without comment, but I thought and think you also have a leaky rear main seal. Pulling the clutch and flywheel at this point is easy, so I would strongly suggest you do it to at least check to be sure.
Going in all the way in a few hours.

g
Old 05-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #57
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,092
I almost blush at saying this, but you have beautiful input shaft spines for your mileage...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #58
maalstroom
Ferret Legger

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I almost blush at saying this, but you have beautiful input shaft spines for your mileage...

Thinking the same thing.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #59
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks

I don't often get such compliments.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #60
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,924
Unless you have cleaned them up before photography, those nice new looking splines do look void of grease.

After a good clean up and the new seals are installed, I would button everything back up as is...with appropriate moly grease on the splines, of course.
def is online now   Reply With Quote