User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,395
Moped or scooter for commuting?

I wanted your input on these 2 beasts. i been thinking of getting a scooter for a while, but then i started researching mopeds as well, and you can get them very cheaply from craigslist. Ive seen them for 400-500$. I dont know much about them other than they are 30mph topspeed. But i understand they get better mpg than the 50cc equivalent scooters. Tomos is quite a big manufacturer, and i see tons of them everywhere, and from what i've heard they get over 120mpg per gallon.

advantages that i see from the moped are

bigger wheels for city roads
Better mpg than scooters
cheaper price
pedals(do you pedal these as well, i guess if you break down)
small and easy to park

scooters advantages
more comfortable with more windprotection
cute
underseat compartment
easier to ride with auto transmissions

what does everyone think about these 2 modes of transportation. Id love to get something that got over 100mpg. I hate mixing oil and gas like the mopeds, but beggars cant be choosers.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
I rode mopeds as a kid. I'll take a scooter any day as an adult but I'd suggest you try and do a test ride on each to see what fits you the best. FWIW, my son gets 100-105 mpg on his Genuine Buddy 125cc and it tops out at 72mph (flat road with a tail wind using gps but I really don't recommend going that fast and it really kills mpg when you do that or have a big cross wind, might knock it down to 80mpg)

When I bought the Buddy it was mine and I wanted something that had enough get up and go to get up and out of the way if I needed to which is why I went with a 125cc over a 50.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
scorch OP
Poser

72mph on a 125cc buddy? pretty good record

genuine makes good bikes, the 4 stroke stella on the website is claimed 140mpg, any truth to that? i have yet to heard from anyone if its real or not.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
I rode mopeds as a kid. I'll take a scooter any day as an adult but I'd suggest you try and do a test ride on each to see what fits you the best. FWIW, my son gets 100-105 mpg on his Genuine Buddy 125cc and it tops out at 72mph (flat road with a tail wind using gps but I really don't recommend going that fast and it really kills mpg when you do that or have a big cross wind, might knock it down to 80mpg)

When I bought the Buddy it was mine and I wanted something that had enough get up and go to get up and out of the way if I needed to which is why I went with a 125cc over a 50.
also, why would you take a scooter any day? that is what im trying to find out.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
If you have a SYM dealer near you check out the Symba. It is the modern version of the Honda Cub. SYM made millions of Cubs for Honda before they started labeling them themselves. My Symba has been getting 97 mpg and it isn't even broken in yet. 17" wheels like the mopeds. 101 cc engine, top speed 55 or so.

Here's mine, the red ones and black ones look better I think.
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
scorch OP
Poser

the sym symba is indeed nice, on the website they list 150mpg at 25mph, and on fuelly they seem to get really good mileage. But i cant find any for sale around here.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
scmopar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
most of the tomos mopeds I've ridden you HAD to peddel up any type hill the scooters seam to have more torque since its not pulling such a big tire

scmopar screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 11:04 PM
scmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
tucsondude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
look at licsensing and insurance in your town.

here all scooters need plates and insurance, if you are below 50cc and slap pedals on you do not need plates.

what 50cc scooter does not get 100mpg? think you will really notice that extra 20?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,364
I prefer scooters over mopeds because of the hauling capabilities. Even without my milkcrate, I have built-in storage under the seat (waterproof) and the floorboards for carrying cat litter, cat food, mulch.

My Honda Met (50cc) consistently got 105mpg. It topped out around 37mph. I rode 3 years and sold it for what I paid for it; they seem to keep their value if you buy wisely.

If you like the looks of the Symba, look for a Honda Passport or Honda C70. There are a lot around and you shouldn't have to pay more than $1000 for a decent condition runner that won't need a thing. You can also check out the Honda Trail or Honda CT90; that's the more dirt-oriented version of the Honda Cub/Passport. Both have large rear racks that can hold a big milkcrate.

My Buddy 150 gets about 80mpg; I ride all winter so I think that knocks it down some. I also don't have a windshield. Good luck!
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,724
I rode with a guy who has a newer Zuma 125 with EFI and he said he regularly gets over 100 mpg - plus it can do 55 mph + easily.

I have a vintage Yamaha bike that is a 55 cc 2-stroke with a 4-speed tranny. I rode it in city traffic (speed limts 30-45 mph) last night and it sucks - plus it's downright dangerous IMHO. Not sure how the performance compares to a modern 50 cc scoot but the slightest hill or headwind drops the speed down significantly.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Tomos mopeds are fun; I had an ST model (no pedals) in the stable, but the down side is that you almost have to install new sprockets to get a decent top end and an aftermarket pipe to help performance overall. Check out www.mopedarmy.com for all things moped.

My 2 cents: 4-stroke scoot of at least 125cc will keep you happier longer.

But moped are lotsa fun - they are very amenable to farkling & upgrades (70cc kit, etc.), but there's more fun in them than utility (depending on your needs).
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
bvardi
Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer: 287
I've owned a couple of Tomos mopeds (last one was brief ownership - bought it for the Mad Bastard Scooter rally and did 21 hours on the thing during the rally)

If you add performance pipes/sprocket to the Tomos you'll probably find it doesn't handle steep hills very well (depending on your body weight) but it is (in my experience, with the A3/A35 engined models) a very simple dead reliable little machine and great for something bought at $400 that you don't have to fret about parking in an exposed location.

They're also fairly easy to work on (basically you're talking a lawnmower engine strapped to a beefed up bike frame) which can be an advantage.

If you buy one also you'll likely sell it for about the same you paid for it - so if you want something low budget, you can give it a try for a year and not be out anything.

That being said - these days I find 125cc to 200cc is my commuter comfort zone (with maybe 200-250 being ideal) - but I like the ability to hop onto the local highway for stretches if I need to.
bvardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,658
Don't know why anyone would prefer combustible fuel over electricity, when looking at mopeds, or powered-bicycles.

From bicycle types to ones more scooter-like, if you want cheap 25-30mph commuting that is fairly maintenance-free the e-bikes have it all over the smoke-trail bikes.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Don't know why anyone would prefer combustible fuel over electricity, when looking at mopeds, or powered-bicycles.

From bicycle types to ones more scooter-like, if you want cheap 25-30mph commuting that is fairly maintenance-free the e-bikes have it all over the smoke-trail bikes.
Electric vehicles have very limited range. If you ever have a power outage, like we just did in Northern Alabama for several days, anyone with an electric vehicle would be SOL.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
2speed
Puching adventurer

Oddometer: 846
The difference is really dependent on your commute.

How many miles?

How many hills?

What type of roads?

A moped would be good for 5 miles-10 miles, no hills, backroads. I mean I've done 100+ mile trips on a moped but it's not fantastic. It will be also cheaper to license and insure most likely. Otherwise just get the scooter.