Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,936
Thanks SS - I meant to say short stroke.

And yeah, the R45 is the same as an R65 except smaller jugs and 28mm Bings. A friend has one for sale right now - a very pretty red one with the stock fairing.

There was a guy with an R65 who toured europe every year and shipped his bike over from the states. He must have done that for eight or nine years, but eventually tired of wheezing over the passes, and traded it for an oilhead GS I believe.

Before I got my first R65 about five years ago I read up on them and almost didn't get it after hearing the stories of them not holding together. And even worse were the stories of hop-up failures - supposedly longevity suffered horribly.

I've found none of that to be true - the one I've got now is bumped to 850 and has been through a lot but still keeps on tickin.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Yup- the usual upgrades.

I'd wager that if one keeps their bike running their bike regularly throughout its service life, the compnentry lasts better. For me - and again, this is MY experience, so YMMV - I came across an initially inexpensive bike that had not seen regular duty so that I had to replace the disparate pieces of the bike's charging and electrical systems. I'm not complaining; I have a reliable bike that suits me just fine, thank you.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,389
I know YMMV and I didn't think you were complaining. It's just that all the "usual" upgrades makes it sound like your situation is usual.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #19
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Yeah, as far as this friend of yours is concerned, no offense, but very few (if any) "experts" on any subject deserve "guru" status.
I personally believe that moniker is bandied about in our modern vernacular just a leeeetle too much these days.
If your guy says to stay away from these bikes, he has some serious issues with reality or just plain doesn't know shit about the R65.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!

wirewrkr screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 10:08 AM
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #20
supershaft
because I can

Ws, my whole point is that the term "stroke" is relative. Do we call every engine with a stroke shorter than a 454's a "short stroke". The answer is no. A R65 has the same "stroke" as a R100 if you consider the stroke relative to the bore.

Personally, I call a 1.33:1 bore/stroke ratio a "short stroke" but no one calls the R100 a "short stroke" and it is! Just as much as a R65 anyway.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #21
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
I still miss my R65. Lots of fun on our windy country roads around here and WV

I think the one valid criticism might be that they don't share much in common with other airheads, as far as parts etc. goes. But even that's a stretch - I mean how many parts do models of other brand bikes share with each other?

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #22
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack View Post
I still miss my R65. Lots of fun on our windy country roads around here and WV

I think the one valid criticism might be that they don't share much in common with other airheads, as far as parts etc. goes. But even that's a stretch - I mean how many parts do models of other brand bikes share with each other?
\
That's kind of an old wives tale.
The R65 bikes share LOTS of the important parts with the big brothers.
Just one persons opinion.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
Chobro
spinning the wheel

Oddometer: 749
Thumb pro

I miss my '82- rode it from NM to Jersey and back, as well as numerous tours around NM, AZ and Colorado. It had K75S bars and krausers, it was a fine tourer and weekender. Rode the piss out of it and sold it for what I paid-1200 bucks. I'd buy another if the right one came up.

Bridgestone Battlax tires worked real good.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #24
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,368
R65's are fantastic. They rev well, look cool and have plenty of power. My favorite is the 85-87 Mono Lever R65. The only down fall I can think of is the lack of parts interchangeability with the other models. If you look at the styling and engineering you will see that some of it is very similar to the early K models. There are old rumors that suggest BMW used the R65 as a testing platform for the K's since they were both being engineered at about the same time(1980 on the K100 prototypes).
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #25
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,398
I rode a 1981 R65 for about 7 years and it was a fantastic little bike.
Would tour two-up at 140km/h all day (about 80mph I think). They love to rev and once you get them up there, they run along like a little turbine. A bit vibey at about 60mph though.
Only problem it ever had was a cracked ignition coil, a common problem on all 81 BMs. A cheap Harley coil fixed it.

I know guys with bigger BMs who seek out R65s so they can use the gearboxes, driveshafts etc. They do not get chewed up like the driveline on the gruntier R100s etc.

Plus the shorter wheelbase R65 frame handles WAY better than the bigger Airheads.

Sadly I had to sell my R65 and then some years later I bought an 81 R100RS. I don't like it near as much as my old R65. To big and clumsy in the handling, too lumpy in the engine. And I have had to renew the entire driveline from clutch to bevel bearings.

So hang on to your R65 and ride it for a while. It will grow on you.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #26
supershaft
because I can

My favorite R65 is the LS. I think those LS mags are the best. They are a lot lighter than the snow flakes and especially the K bike mags on the Monolevers. Those first generation K bike mags weigh a ton. Plus the LS front rim is a 2.15" instead of a 1.85". I like the R65's for their smaller size. The Monolever R65's are a R100 with a R65 engine in them. Small engine in a big bike? It ruins the whole point IMO.

It's funny that I feel that way since the Monolever is my favorite R100.

I just remembered one time one my LS I was leaving a stop sign and my FD's ring gear snapped in two right were they are welded together. I snapped a drive shaft in two doing the same thing on my R69S. It sounded like a gun going off. Anyway, I was glad that ring gear let loose in town instead of out in the curves. It would have been an instant right off the road!

supershaft screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 10:07 PM
Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #27
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Another cool thing about the R65 twin-shocks, is the fact that all GS and G/S tanks fit and clip right on.
I used to get a lot of comments on my 79 gold R65 with the big R80 G/S-PD tank sitting on it. It sure went faaaaar with 8.73 gallons and that R65 mileage.
I tried a standard R100 GS/ roadster tank on it once and it looked really nice.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 05-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #28
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,993
R65's are like the sportster's of the BMW world
They just doing get any respect.

Personally I've not spent much time on them, maybe only 400 miles top
But they are pretty cool bikes, if you like the style the LS is very cool
(Personally I don't like it's look but I like the way it rides, and the fairing even almost works)

But the single best thing about the R65's is the same thing that's wrong with them since they don't get respect, the don't command the crazy premiums that some of the other models get. So it's a pretty decent and cheap way to buy into the world of Airheads.

I know a number of riders who traded down or out of bigger airheads and are happy with a R65 in the stable.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #29
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
R65's are like the sportster's of the BMW world
They just doing get any respect.
Great analogy!
I've had both, I think I would choose the R65 over the Sporty any time.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #30
supershaft
because I can

I don't think it is a good analogy at all! A Sportster? You have to be a good wrench AND a good machinist to get a Sportster to do anything well for very long. Not so with a R65!

R65's don't get any respect in this country because a lot of people in this county are riding with one eye closed AND blinders on. This is America! Bigger is better. Look at a HD Road Hog Classic. Now that's a motorcycle! They're as if someone somehow glued a Tupperware party on to a boat anchor!