Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
henasau OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Sorry for the long silence and thanks for the replies. I am in LA right now waiting for my bike to be released from customs. I should get it in the next couple of days. I will be crossing Mexican border at the end of the first or begining of the second week of July. Probably to late to meet Niels or Eran??
Anyone with similar timetable want to share the ride?

My Blog
http://www.henasau.blogspot.com/

henasau screwed with this post 06-29-2011 at 09:44 AM
henasau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Have you picked a route South yet? I'd suggest Baja, great ride even if you stay all on pavement. There are several worthwhile detours on fairly easy off road you can do on your KLR if you'd like. These take you out to beaches or cross the peninsula. Fun stuff. The Pacific coast will be easily 5C cooler than the Gulf side.

It's possible you may run into other riders in Baja but Summer is not a favorite time. Most will be day trippers not heading for Tierra del Fuego ... but you never know! Keep an eye out.

The Northern Baja beach towns like Ensenada and San Felipe may have a few riders, but once another 100 miles South not many riders out in July. You may run into a few odd in Mulege', San Ignacio (Whale Watching) or La Paz.

In La Paz you hop the Ferry to the mainland. Go to Topolobambo. From there you can go several ways up to Copper Canyon. It will be hot but as you climb it will cool nicely. Creel is 2700 meters, probably 25 to 28C.

The road South of San Felipe heading to Coco's Corner. Much of this stretch is now paved.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #18
henasau OP
Adventurer

I was thinking to cross the border in Agua Pneta and than go #2, #17,#171 to #16. No particular reason appart no need to use Ferry. Any problems with this route?
Still waiting for my bike, my departure may be delayed for another week or two.

'Living The Dream' - 2011 Motorcycle trip through Americas.

henasau screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 04:31 PM
Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

In L.A. you're about 120 miles from the Mexican border. To get over to Aqua Prieta, its about 350 miles through the hottest desert in the USA. A friend from the Tuscon area just reported temps of 128F there. It's also UGLY and boring riding. If you plan a tour of Northern AZ and Utah FIRST ... then that is another story. But if your goal is to go to Mexico ... then I would go Baja route.

You could cross further East at San Luis (near Yuma, AZ) then take Mex 2 over to Caborca, then connect to Mex 15, South to Hermosillo, connect to Mex 16 to Copper Canyon. It's ALL pretty torturous and boring until you get onto Mex 16, which is a fabulous, twisty mountain road. A full days ride to make Creel. Most stop over at town near the waterfall. You DO have a guide book, right?

If you're in a hurry to get to Copper Canyon ... then go the Mainland route.
You will save the $100 or so it costs to take the Ferry.
No worries, you'll only be missing one of the 7th wonders of the world: Baja.

Your plight of not getting your bike is why I always suggest to my NZ and OZ friends to simply fly to L.A. or San Fran and buy a bike here and go.
Shipping rarely goes smoothly, is costly and there is never a guarantee on how long it will take. Most end up spending $2000 to $3000 shipping a bike
half way round the world. What's the bike worth?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
henasau OP
Adventurer

OK I am sold. I will go Baja route.
Any suggestions for off road in Baja? Not too extreme, I will be fully loaded.
Is beach camping in Baja OK or should be avoided?
Any recommendation for route from Topolobambo to Copper Canyon?

henasau screwed with this post 07-05-2011 at 10:33 AM
Old 07-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

There are many Baja reports here but most are dirt bike centered. Some street bike guys do mild off road ... so look around for those reports. A basic guide book on Baja will open up several options for you on your loaded KLR.

I rode a loaded KLR down Baja in 1998. I've been three or four times since on various bikes doing road and dirt. If you have basic off road skills you can explore the dirt routes around Mulege' and Loreto. From there you can take off and ride over to the west coast and Scorpion Bay. Lots of dirt routes everywhere, most too much deep sand for the KLR. You can ride up to Mike's Sky Ranch ... lots of dirt riders go there but you can make on your KLR. I did on a Vstrom. Its fun and easy dirt riding South from San Felipe and out to Coco's corner. (see pic above) . Lots more if you search around. Not hard to navigate, just a narrow peninsula.

Couple choices from Topolobambo. You can go East to Los Mochis then continue EAST towards El Fuerte. This will take you into Copper Canyon by the back door. There are a couple route choices but with new bridges you can make it. Some rough dirt sections. GS's and Vstrom's have done it.

An alternative paved route is a very fun ride. Head North from Topo on Mex 15. Past Navajoa, into Ciudad Obregon. Continue to North end of town ... still on Mex 15. Look for sign to Esparanza. Take Mex. 12 all the way to Mex 16. There is a strong Military check point at the intersection. From there it's still 6 to 7 hours ride to Creel. Stop at Basachiachic (sp) waterfall.

12 and 16 or both very fun roads but both very remote. Watch for Burros and Horses at night ... and swarms of Bees!!

Hope you can free your bike soon and get on the road.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
http://www.pixcelgallery.com/viewphoto.php/id/462212/sid/2

Good advice from advgrifter.

The waterfall he is talking about is the Basaseachic cascade into Candamena Canyon. Click on the above link for a picture I took this past April when the dry season was still in effect. Another photo attempt appears belowThe waterfall can be seen with much more volume during the season of frequent thunderstorms, summer
This view is from the south rim mirador. The fall you see is at the north rim and access there is directly thru village of Basaseachic. You can climb down the north rim to a view point on the rock face or you can go aaaall the way to the bottom and climb the south rim to the mirador. That will take a couple of hours and a lot of sweat.There is a resort hotel and campground at the south rimtoo
It is simpler to go to the south rim view area by way of the nice paved park road which is easy to find as it exits off the newly paved highway between Mex 16 and San Juanito and to Creel. This road splits off Mex 16 a few km east of the village and it is a very interesting high country route

As to the hazard of cattle horses and donkeys on Mex 16 at night they are there , lots of them and drunk drivers too. - DON'T ride far nor fast after sunset.Get off the road and stay in one of the hotels you find in whatever town you ar near.You don't see anything other than the headlight illuminated spot, not good touring and there should be no reason for doing it
. Wow I amaze myself ! the photo showed up!!!!

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 10:20 AM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #23
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Typical Baja beach ... near Bahia de Concepcion

Mex. 16 ... about 100 miles of great road.

View from Mex. 16 ... severe drought this year

Waterfall ... sans water!! Drought! great hiking here down into canyon with great views into Copper Canyon.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #24
Eran
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Cooper Canyon

Hi mate
i have just got back from a wonderful trip to the Cooper Canyon.
the weather wes very dry and hot. at the bottom of the canyon it got to some 45.
still the area is beautiful and i highly recommend u to know it.
we have not seen even 1 bike during the 3-4 days we were there.
we had some trouble with the river crossing between batopilas and Tubares on our way to el Choix.
i will not recommend u to do it alone i mean to the route between Creel and el Choix passing by Batopilas. the heat, it is a long way, u do not see almost anyone on the road, better get a partner . as for the river crossing maybe with your bike it will be easier we were too heavy.
do not miss Divisadero and the Omega (Tirolesa in Spanish) it was a great great experience!
if u need any more info please let me know.
if u r going to Los Mochis i met some great bikers who are living there and will be glad to meet and help u.
safe travels
Eran
Eran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #25
henasau OP
Adventurer

I got my bike today.
Adv Grifter and Sjoerd Bakker great pics:
I am going to cross Mexican border in Tecate go to Ensenada and than cut accross to San Felipe, Mulege Loreto to San La Paz. From Topolobambo go North towards Mex16 and than Basaseachic cascade and finally Copper Canyon.
It appeare not many riders is going venture in this direction in July. I am taking seriously your advise about night riding and potential animals on the road.

Eran:
I missed you guys altogether but none can argue with customs. It looks I may have to do it alone.
I am going to take it easy. Nothing extreme. I will only ride from Creel to San Rafael and than I will take the route to Batopilas. Did you stay overnight in Batopilas?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #26
Eran
Adventurer

plans

Hi mate
we did not stay overnight at Batopilas even though it was our plan. we arrived at 1 pm it was very hot outside and the place did not seem to be that nice. so we had decide to continue maybe it was a mistake it is better i think to start and to finish your day early over there
i have a plan to go up for a week trip on the first week of august. i think i might go to the area called La Huasteca Potosina it is also a rural area near San Luis potosi more or less where the nature is great. check out the Sottono de los golodrinos on the web and on youtube do not miss it, and there are many waterfalls and cool places to ride and to see. if u will be in the area it would be nice to meet u and if u come down to Mexico city on the second week of august or after it u r very welcome to come to my house.
take care
Eran
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #27
henasau OP
Adventurer

Thanks for info and for the invite. It would be nice to meet you but at present I am planning to ride along the coast.
I will let you know if anything change.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #28
Eran
Adventurer

Rain

Coolˇ
be ready for a lot of rain along the coast .
safe travels
Eran
Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #29
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
Deep water?

Eran- I'm wondering about the trouble you had between Batopilas and Tubares with high water. There SHOULD be a new bridge finished on that route about 10 minutes before you get to Tubares/ 30 miles out of Batopilas. Curious if the bridge is not finished or did you take another route?.....The usual route involves heading out of Batopilas and taking an immediate right up the switchbacks and proceeding for 30 miles to the river crossing. This route would not take you past the Satevo Mission. And the "correct" river crossing to get to Tubares/ Choix is not the one about 20 miles out of Batopilas, it's the one 30 miles out of town. Heading there myself and was assuming the bridge was open. (I've been turned back by that river crossing myself on more than one occasion!) Let us know. Got a photo of the crossing? I have done that route a half dozen times in the past and highly reccomend it to people, especially now that the bridge should be finished. Glad you had a great trip!

BoulderGuy screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 07:15 PM
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #30
Eran
Adventurer

the River

hi there Boulder Guy
well if to be honest with u i still do not know the answer but i will give u some details and photos that might help u
first of all i had been recommended for this route by a member of this site but had not even one piece of information about this river nor this bridge u r talking about
on that day we arrived to Batopilas and continued towards El Choix and had been told it should take us around 5-6 hours.
after maybe 2.5 hours passing Batopilas (do not know how far was it), reaching the bottom of the canyon there were like 3-5 houses maybe with no electric it was very close to the river i am talking about. we took there a break as it was very hot outside we did not had any shade till that point and the road was a bit technical for us with the GSA 1200 and all the equipment and cases. we talked there with an old man Victor is his name who is living there and he told us about the rest of the road to El Choix. he told us that we should cross the river 5 times, like a zig zag, and afterwards we should reach to the gold mine it is a very big place of a Canadian international corparation. the place is very big and u have to cross it if u wish to continue to El choix. u have to pass the guards control, they check your ID, they r writing down your details and they let u cross the mine only with a company of other guards vehicle.
after a few minuts u get to the guards gate on the other side on the mine and then u can continue to el Choix which is another 2.5 hours aprox. on a very good dirt road.
our luck was that before crossing the river for the 4th time when my friend had fallen into the water and since than his motorcycle did not start again, a pick up of the gold mine came after us and waited for us so when he saw we had a problem we lift the motorcycle on the pick up he took us to the mine and afterwards the workers of the mine treated us very very nicely , gave us a dinner, and a room to sleep and on the other day gave us a ride on one of their pick ups with the motorcycle on the back to El Choix.
i took some pics of the place and even a video of one of the crossing. if to be honest with u the water was not so deep nor high. we arrive on the dry season still after many months with no rain. some crossing were easy but the 3rd one for instance the water did cover the engine and we just push the motorcycle with the engine off. on the 4th crossing the water was a bit less high but my friend who did not take off his cases (i did it) lost control and fall. the motorcycle worked a very few seconde in the water and that was the end of the story for him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01QixHbjR-U
keep in touch
if u have any further questions please let me know
u have to do the Tirolesa (omega) at divisadero near Creel it is quite new and it is the largest one in Mexico and from next year it will be the largest on in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpUhV...eature=related
i love to know Boulder, do u live there?
best regards
Eran
Attached Images