User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
rowdymoose OP
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Decent price on a 2008 SYM HD200?

Looking at a 2008 Silver (or maybe Red) SYM HD200 about an hour away and the dealer quoted me at $2870.66 out the door. More if I use my credit card as they pass along the fees to you on larger purchases like this.

Also said he'd sell me a tinted windscreen for about $60 on a large purchase like this.

Being COMPLETELY new to scooters (not new to motorcycles), just curious if this seems like a decent deal.

Also, as I have no way of "carting" it home, I'm looking at driving it about 55 miles home, but plan to avoid the highway to try to break it in across multiple speeds and not all at WOT. This should be a decent mix of side roads: http://goo.gl/maps/HmO6

Thanks!
Russell

Old 05-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
robrides85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Looking at Craigslist in your area, I guess that's what you've got to deal with. I assume it's the one on Craigslist for $2000, they and the gov'ment just put $900 of taxes and fees on top of it?

Kymco People 150 would be nice too, give you a 50% discount, there isn't as much uncertainty about parts currently (I have an HD125), but will have slightly less acceleration/top speed.

Sending you a PM regarding the craigslist ads to which I'm referring - seem to remember something about no links in flea market or something.
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
rowdymoose OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrides85 View Post
Looking at Craigslist in your area, I guess that's what you've got to deal with. I assume it's the one on Craigslist for $2000, they and the gov'ment just put $900 of taxes and fees on top of it?

Kymco People 150 would be nice too, give you a 50% discount, there isn't as much uncertainty about parts currently (I have an HD125), but will have slightly less acceleration/top speed.

Sending you a PM regarding the craigslist ads to which I'm referring - seem to remember something about no links in flea market or something.
So yes, the store is the same--that one that's listed for $1999 was there when their office caught fire, and sat through enough smoke to make it look more "olive" than silver, so they reduced the prices. Other ones that weren't there during the fire and are ok are listed at $2499 on their cycletrader page, and after doc fees, tax, and lic fees it's the $2870 price.

These are "new" scooters in that they've never been sold and have no miles, but are 2008 models which is why they are selling them cheaper.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I think that is a good price for a very nice scoot, especially if that included sales tax & license. I know the route thru OC, and that will be fun on this scooter.

I test road a new HD200 just prior to buying my slightly used 'Beo and thought the HD to be a fun and quick machine. If I didn't find and get a great deal on my 'Beo, I would have bought the HD200 for sure - at a higher price. I really liked it in red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Looking at a 2008 Silver (or maybe Red) SYM HD200 about an hour away and the dealer quoted me at $2870.66 out the door. More if I use my credit card as they pass along the fees to you on larger purchases like this.

Also said he'd sell me a tinted windscreen for about $60 on a large purchase like this.

Being COMPLETELY new to scooters (not new to motorcycles), just curious if this seems like a decent deal.

Also, as I have no way of "carting" it home, I'm looking at driving it about 55 miles home, but plan to avoid the highway to try to break it in across multiple speeds and not all at WOT. This should be a decent mix of side roads: http://goo.gl/maps/HmO6

Thanks!
Russell

alphaBETAdog screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 08:31 AM
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649
its a good price it doesn't really matter if its 2008, '09 or '10. it might concern me about its age when it comes to tires, seals, and gaskets and what not. hoses. these things deteriorate over time, but without use i think they will be ok.

you may want to question the integrity of years old rubber tires, however. don't know about the belt. used or not tires can degrade some i read

however its not too old, and as long as it hasn't old gas in the tank should be fine without a carb cleaning and such

here in Cali with 10% sales tax and DMV fees the cost of the bike itself is around $2400, give or take. that is a good price on a GREAT scooter, as this scooter is great imo. so far as mainstream 16in wheeled scooters go

the Kymco People 150 was mentioned? good scooter, but it doesn't really compare to the HD200 tbh. maybe the HD125, and even then. its more a big wheeled "classic" style scooter. the HD200 is more on par with a Honda SH imo. and its even been compared favorably to some 250cc scoots so far as acceleration and cruising speed

two year warranty and service nearby? if you want it, get it. take care of it and you'll always be able to get at least $1200 for it on the used market, even with high(er) miles, within reason.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
rowdymoose OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
its a good price it doesn't really matter if its 2008, '09 or '10. it might concern me about its age when it comes to tires, seals, and gaskets and what not. hoses. these things deteriorate over time, but without use i think they will be ok.

you may want to question the integrity of years old rubber tires, however. don't know about the belt. used or not tires can degrade some i read

however its not too old, and as long as it hasn't old gas in the tank should be fine without a carb cleaning and such

here in Cali with 10% sales tax and DMV fees the cost of the bike itself is around $2400, give or take. that is a good price on a GREAT scooter, as this scooter is great imo. so far as mainstream 16in wheeled scooters go

the Kymco People 150 was mentioned? good scooter, but it doesn't really compare to the HD200 tbh. maybe the HD125, and even then. its more a big wheeled "classic" style scooter. the HD200 is more on par with a Honda SH imo. and its even been compared favorably to some 250cc scoots so far as acceleration and cruising speed

two year warranty and service nearby? if you want it, get it. take care of it and you'll always be able to get at least $1200 for it on the used market, even with high(er) miles, within reason.
Yeah, this place is about 60 miles from me, but there is a scooter shop about 2 miles from me where I should be able to get this serviced under warranty. So thanks for the advice, and I'll be sure to check the tires, belts, etc and have all that looked at under warranty if anything is suspect. :-)
Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 718
that sound like a good buy to me. Don't be afraid of a used machine as SYM is good stuff. But there is something so much more fun about a new machine sometimes!

Your machine won't have any problem making that trip, might make you a little sore on a new bike, hehehe. The brakes take a while to seat nice. I usually replace my battery at two years, the scoot always runs the light, so when you turn on the ignition start it up right away, so the 'new' battery has a chance to charge up. Have fun!
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
rowdymoose OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
that sound like a good buy to me. Don't be afraid of a used machine as SYM is good stuff. But there is something so much more fun about a new machine sometimes!

Your machine won't have any problem making that trip, might make you a little sore on a new bike, hehehe. The brakes take a while to seat nice. I usually replace my battery at two years, the scoot always runs the light, so when you turn on the ignition start it up right away, so the 'new' battery has a chance to charge up. Have fun!
Thanks! Good to know about the battery...didn't think about that. And yeah...I might take a couple advil before the trip as it's been a couple years since I've been on a bike.
Is there anything to do to help the brakes seat quicker? I don't plan on getting up too quickly in speed, but I'll be sure make sure I get on the brakes a little quicker to make sure I have plenty of stopping time.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

The brakes don't work their best right away. It's best to let them do their thing over time, don't worry about them. Just give your self extra time and distance.

The best way to stay out of trouble is to go slow. Go as fast as the slow cars.

Give yourself plenty of time, or better yet, no schedule at all. Everything takes longer on the scooter, (until you get good.)

I always get really tense on a new bike. Keep telling yourself to relax. Have some snacks along, take a break if you want.. (I wouldn't drink anything, just prior, though, because you'll have to piss like a race horse.)
Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Here is the one trick you have to know about scooters that is different than bikes. When you want to roll very slowly, drag the back brake and keep a little power up. There is a small lag to get power, unlike a motorcycle. If you think you might need some power, drag that back break and give it some gas BEFORE you think you might need it. When you do that, rolling around in circles or around objects is sometimes easier.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
rowdymoose OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Here is the one trick you have to know about scooters that is different than bikes. When you want to roll very slowly, drag the back brake and keep a little power up. There is a small lag to get power, unlike a motorcycle. If you think you might need some power, drag that back break and give it some gas BEFORE you think you might need it. When you do that, rolling around in circles or around objects is sometimes easier.
Thanks for the tips! I plan on taking my time and enjoying the view along the coast (even though I now live here), I haven't ridden down that area along the beach in awhile. So yeah, I'll bring some water, and a snack or two and take my time.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,118
I have a 2008 HD200 with 5k trouble free miles on it and it is a very good scooter.
Battery and tires are still good.
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
I just saw a craigslist ad for the new dealer in Atlanta with 2009 for 2750, so with tax it would put it a bit more than your 2008 out the door- so your price sounds about right.

The HD200 seems like a really great little scooter. Only downside seems to be that it doesn't have lots of room under the seat. Other than that- they look sweet!

Give us a report if you pick that one you're looking at up!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
rowdymoose OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I just saw a craigslist ad for the new dealer in Atlanta with 2009 for 2750, so with tax it would put it a bit more than your 2008 out the door- so your price sounds about right.

The HD200 seems like a really great little scooter. Only downside seems to be that it doesn't have lots of room under the seat. Other than that- they look sweet!

Give us a report if you pick that one you're looking at up!
So I did end up going down to Costa Mesa on Friday the 6th to pick up my new scoot! Got down there about 1pm, and they had a silver and a red one left. I LOVED the look of the red one, but I'm thinking the silver will show less rock dings, scratches, etc. Plus they already had the silver one on the battery charger for me, and had a tinted windshield mounted on it to show me what it would look like. So I ended up getting that one. There was a small crack on the front fairing near the front right reflector, so they threw in the windshield for free. They also had a top box that they sold me for $50, which looks just like the 36LT one in the SYM accessory catalog that sells for $100+. While trying to find the right bolts for that box, the mechanic there was playing w/ the carb as it was running a little rough. Guessing it had some gas put in it when it was new and since it had been sitting for so long some of it had gunked up. So they ended up taking the carb out of another scooter, cleaning it up, and putting it in my silver HD. Fired it up and it ran just fine. Took longer than I had expected, but finally I was on my way back north to Marina del Rey. Had plans to ride along the coast as much as possible, but due to the delays, I ended up taking HWY 1, PCH up all the way back. This worked out great, as I had a chance to really open her up as well as do some low speeds to help set the rings during the break-in period (which I guess I'm still doing since I only have about 60 miles on it so far). The scoot handled fine, and it was nice to split the traffic on Friday afternoon so it made my trip a little shorter than it could have been in a cage.

Overall very happy w/ the scooter so far! Haven't run through a full tank of gas yet, but plan on doing some more riding this weekend along the coast to continue the break-in process as well as get a better "feel" for the scooter.

Now my nights are filled w/ internet searches for mods, accessories, etc for my new HD200! First on the list is deciding if I want to add some sort of speakers, or just get some helmet speakers.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Sweet, man, sweet victory!